• ...and so much more!
  • printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    If anybody feels like puking this morning, tune into CBS and watch the pity party they are throwing for these two terrorists. They've had former classmates of the terrorists on saying how they were such nice guys, and just wrapped up a segment on how big the culture shock between their homeland and the US is. The set of boobs with a mouth.....err....I mean the "news anchor" sounded like she was narrating the life of a young George Washington with her description of the older terrorist.

Yep, and so it starts.......... It was Americas fault, we deserved it.
    The chickens are coming home to roost.
    Someone call rev. wright and tell him he's on.

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    I think the level of response was appropriate considering the disdain for innocent life that was displayed by the two brothers. Domestic LEO have to operate under different rules than military forces operating overseas (and I am glad there is a difference). It might have taken more manpower and more time than a military force would have required but they accomplished the objective (with help from an observant homeowner) and minimized collateral damage during the capture.

Yes, the politicians were being politicians and I turned off the TV when they started giving speeches and posing for photo ops. However, let the people applaud the LEO and support personnel and express their relief that the immediate danger is past.

It might have been more satisfying if a homeowner had "resolved" the situation but from an intelligence perspective it probably ended in a better way. They need to interrogate him to see if there are other potential threats. Treating him as a federal terrorism suspect rather than as a state muder suspect gives them more options. I hope we don't see the media painting the brothers as misunderstood immigrants that needed more taxpayer support.

phatgemi

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 1, 2008
    Metamora, IN
    Perhaps some of our LEO/Lawyer members can comment but when talking Miranda rights: Reading/advising of the miranda rights is only necessary IF the questioning involved would be used against the individual. If there is other evidence to convict an individual, that can be used. Not the statements made under "non miranda" questioning. Not reading of rights doesn't automatically throw everything out.

Personally I think we need a new law allowing a quick 40 grainer to the back of the head for such individuals. No need to waste all the money on a trial.

DC47374

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Richmond, IN
    This is kind of interesting...

"An administration official said Tsarnaev was not read his Miranda rights and could be questioned without them for up to 48 hours under a special legal exception used in cases where public safety is at stake."

'We got him!': Boston bombing suspect captured alive - U.S. News

You have no constitutional rights if there is a compelling government interest. I've been studying the Constitution for more than 3 years now and that was the most troubling thing I've found. In some cases, it doesn't even have to be "compelling".

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Perhaps some of our LEO/Lawyer members can comment but when talking Miranda rights: Reading/advising of the miranda rights is only necessary IF the questioning involved would be used against the individual. If there is other evidence to convict an individual, that can be used. Not the statements made under "non miranda" questioning. Not reading of rights doesn't automatically throw everything out.

True. No Miranda...no statement into evidence. Separate evidence not based on the statements can stand on their own.

BIGKAT9

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2013
    Valpo.
    Don't know if i missed it while reading all the previous threads but saw on one of news stations that a foreign govermnent probably Russia notifyied FBI about older brother involvement withThe Sword of Islam .The FBI intervied him 2yrs ago an found no crediable evidence .As to whos paying for the manpower i would think the Feds would pay for some of the cost as it being a act of terrorisim an with all the manpower standing i think they were there to deny movement also eyes on ground.I haven't watched any tv yet today but last night cop said helicopter had F.L.IR ,an image was seen in boat of suspect

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Don't know if i missed it while reading all the previous threads but saw on one of news stations that a foreign govermnent probably Russia notifyied FBI about older brother involvement withThe Sword of Islam .The FBI intervied him 2yrs ago an found no crediable evidence .As to whos paying for the manpower i would think the Feds would pay for some of the cost as it being a act of terrorisim an with all the manpower standing i think they were there to deny movement also eyes on ground.I haven't watched any tv yet today but last night cop said helicopter had F.L.IR ,an image was seen in boat of suspect

resident boat owner found the idiot...called LEO and helicopter verified.

phatgemi

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 1, 2008
    Metamora, IN

Do you think the fbi personnel who dealt with his interview two years ago might have some reflecting to do??? Or explaining???

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    True. No Miranda...no statement into evidence. Separate evidence not based on the statements can stand on their own.

USUALLY true. Non-Miranda statements CAN be introduced if the statements are a result of the public safety exception. Its the only exemption so far that SCOTUS has defined.

New York vs Quarles. Officer is looking for a suspect, sees Quarles in a grocery store, and he matches the description. Officer detains him for the original crime and finds he has an empty holster. The officer asks where he hid the gun, Quarles answers, and then sought to suppress the statement. SCOTUS ruled that the need to find an unsecured weapon in a crowded area means time is of the essence and Miranda didn't have to be read first.

Asking about where IEDs are placed would certainly fall under the public safety exemption.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Do you think the fbi personnel who dealt with his interview two years ago might have some reflecting to do??? Or explaining???

Despite what you'll hear in the Politics portion of this board this isn't a police state. There's a lot of times I know who committed a crime or who was involved, but since there's insufficient evidence to convict, they walk free.

If they then go on to commit other crimes, I'm not taking that personally. I know I did the best I could do with the limits that society has deemed the appropriate line between personal liberty and public safety..

Niles Coyote

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2013
    S.W. Michigan
    Now, what does worry me about this whole series of events? Everyone seems to be making the assumption that these two were working alone. May be the case. What if it isn't? Could very well have been a part of a 4-6-8 person cell. They found these guys awfully quick.

I am glad it is over and would be happy to pat some backs if I was there. Glad he was also taken alive as I too had the same thoughts.

iceman7668

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    My own opinion, Law enforcment got the job accomplished. From the point of detonation, I think our Gov. did a good job. They found 2 individuals out of thousands in a chaotic situation and linked the bombs to them. Within a few days, they were dead or caught. I think we as Americans, think that our Law enforcement should mimic the results we see on a 60 minute television show, it is not that simple. Now that being said, I get nauseated watching all the talking heads on T.V. blather on and on and on. Who really cares that these asshats liked kittens and candles and were great kids who never said an unkind word! If it was so bad here, they had family back "home" they could of returned to!

mattritchie238

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2013
    Ok, anyone here offer a better way for the LEO's to respond? Who is willing to go on TV and tell the public that LEO's are calling off the search due to OT concerns? Has ANYONE here ever search for an armed suspect in a urban environment and NOT overseas? It's very difficult. The level of detail involved in the search is directly related to the amount of danger the suspects poses to the public. Considering the dead brother was found with explosives and a switch on him, them bombing a marathon, ambushing/killing a MIT officer, seriously wounding another officer, chucking homemade grenades out the SUV they carjacked...YEAH the response was appropriate.

+1 Had a conversation discussing these exact characteristics last night. Wonderful response sir. Repped :yesway:

Top Bottom