• phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    IC 35-44-2-2
    False reporting or informing
    Sec. 2. (a) As used in this section, "consumer product" has the meaning set forth in IC 35-45-8-1.
    (b) As used in this section, "misconduct" means a violation of a departmental rule or procedure of a law enforcement agency.
    (c) A person who reports, by telephone, telegraph, mail, or other written or oral communication, that:
    (1) the person or another person has placed or intends to place an explosive, a destructive device, or other destructive substance in a building or transportation facility;
    (2) there has been or there will be tampering with a consumer product introduced into commerce; or
    (3) there has been or will be placed or introduced a weapon of mass destruction in a building or a place of assembly;
    knowing the report to be false commits false reporting, a Class D felony.
    (d) A person who:
    (1)
    gives a false report of the commission of a crime or gives false information in the official investigation of the commission of a crime, knowing the report or information to be false;
    (2) gives a false alarm of fire to the fire department of a governmental entity, knowing the alarm to be false;
    (3) makes a false request for ambulance service to an ambulance service provider, knowing the request to be false;

(4) gives a false report concerning a missing child (as defined in IC 10-13-5-4) or missing endangered adult (as defined in IC 12-7-2-131.3) or gives false information in the official investigation of a missing child or missing endangered adult knowing the report or information to be false; or
    (5) makes a complaint against a law enforcement officer to the state or municipality (as defined in IC 8-1-13-3) that employs the officer:
    (A) alleging the officer engaged in misconduct while performing the officer's duties; and
    (B) knowing the complaint to be false;
    commits false informing, a Class B misdemeanor. However, the offense is a Class A misdemeanor if it substantially hinders any law enforcement process or if it results in harm to an innocent person.
    As added by Acts 1976, P.L.148, SEC.4. Amended by Acts 1977, P.L.340, SEC.56; Acts 1977, P.L.341, SEC.1; P.L.326-1987, SEC.3; P.L.49-1989, SEC.23; P.L.156-2001, SEC.12; P.L.123-2002, SEC.39; P.L.2-2003, SEC.96; P.L.232-2003, SEC.1; P.L.140-2005, SEC.7.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Who has access to a scoped rifle? Most officers do not....most don't even have long guns. He was pointing a gun at strangers walking by. It looked like a real gun. I've locked up plenty of 12 yr olds for armed robbery so an armed kid is not unusual. How it "used to be" does nothing to address the very real problem of violence being committed by kids. I'm glad that you how to do things better than us, you might consider starting your own business teaching us all the superior tactics you know and history classes to teach us "how it used to be."

Denny, is that the safest way for you to approach someone on a MWG call? The car rolls in between a gazebo and sidewalk poles with a thin car door as the only "cover" for the passenger side officer. The car is pretty much trapped with one way in & one way out. If that were a real gang banger thug that office is going to take rounds. That's the stupidest driving manuveur I've seen in a while. There's nobody around that kid. The 911 call didn't say shots fired. Put some distance between the officer and the "threat".

I don't want you getting hurt. I don't want 12 year old kids getting hurt. I will BUY YOU a scope for your AR or binoculars. I will BUY you a plate for your vest. I'll even help buy you a rifle. Stay safe!

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    How many times do you all let anyone intentionally point a gun at you threateningly?
    12 or ten or eight, that kid should have been taught better. Why are we not holding the parents accountable?

Yes, as much as I hate to give in, it is time to quit allowing our children to "play with guns." Teach them early that guns are not toys.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Denny, is that the safest way for you to approach someone on a MWG call? The car rolls in between a gazebo and sidewalk poles with a thin car door as the only "cover" for the passenger side officer. The car is pretty much trapped with one way in & one way out. If that were a real gang banger thug that office is going to take rounds. That's the stupidest driving manuveur I've seen in a while. There's nobody around that kid. The 911 call didn't say shots fired. Put some distance between the officer and the "threat".

I don't want you getting hurt. I don't want 12 year old kids getting hurt. I will BUY YOU a scope for your AR or binoculars. I will BUY you a plate for your vest. I'll even help buy you a rifle. Stay safe!
    I do not know what I would have done in their shoes as I am not working with the FULL picture. There is an entire world outside the camera's view and I have no idea WHAT the officers heard, saw, as they were approaching. If there are people around and this guy is pointing a gun at them, I will get as close as I can to him to engage to reduce the risk to innocents. I will take the rounds if it keeps them from engaging strangers. BTW, I am not a trained marksman (sniper) and have no need for magnification on the AR I carry. Since i am not a trained marksman I am not allowed to have one anyway. We have lots of patrol rifles, but we are not talking about me, we are talking about Cleveland PD, as of 2012, they had 28 patrol rifles on the street. Not sure what their numbers are now. My point is that what you saw is not the entire picture and not always an accurate portrayal of the incident and I am not prepared to condemn their actions based on that alone.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Who has access to a scoped rifle? Most officers do not....most don't even have long guns. He was pointing a gun at strangers walking by. It looked like a real gun. I've locked up plenty of 12 yr olds for armed robbery so an armed kid is not unusual. How it "used to be" does nothing to address the very real problem of violence being committed by kids. I'm glad that you how to do things better than us, you might consider starting your own business teaching us all the superior tactics you know and history classes to teach us "how it used to be."

So, does everyone agree that it's proper police technique to roll up within two feet of an armed perp? That cop on the passenger side of the patrol car was so scared that he fell down trying to get out of the way after shooting the kid.

When a kid with a plastic gun is shot down in a park, I believe there's a problem and I believe a grievous mistake was made, and not by the kid. He was playing with a toy in a park.

Last edited:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    So, does everyone agree that it's proper police technique to roll up within two feet of an armed perp? That cop on the passenger side of the patrol car was so scared that he fell down trying to get out of the way after shooting the kid.

Are you trying to say the cops responding were stupid for the way they arrived or just looking for someone to shoot?

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan

When a kid with a plastic gun is shot down in a park, I believe there's a problem and I believe a grievous mistake was made, and not by the kid. He was playing with a toy in a park.
    What we should agree with it that we don't know what was "propper" since we are minus the facts and circumstances surrounding this incident. It intellectually dishonest to pass judgement on ANY situation with few facts. In fact, move over baseball as our national pastime, Monday morning quarterbacking is our new favorite.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Fear of what?

When the officer on the passenger side of the car got out of the car, I believe he saw the kid with the gun and reacted out of fear when he fired his weapon. If you watch the video, you can see him scrambling so quickly to get away from the kid that he fell down.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    When the officer on the passenger side of the car got out of the car, I believe he saw the kid with the gun and reacted out of fear when he fired his weapon. If you watch the video, you can see him scrambling so quickly to get away from the kid that he fell down.

How do you react when you have a gun pointed at you?

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    But if I ever shot and killed a kid with a toy, under any circumstances, I would be grief stricken and I doubt I would ever be able to ever hold a gun again.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I have had a gun pointed at me, by a drugged up black dude who was robbing my store. I was scared and I thought I might die.

If I was carrying a gun that evening, I would have shot and killed him.

So the cops should think differently?

But if I ever shot and killed a kid with a toy, under any circumstances, I would be grief stricken and I doubt I would ever be able to ever hold a gun again.

Whose to say the cop is not similar to this?
    No normal human wouldn't feel devastated. Self defense is self defense though, you handle what you are given.

Last edited:

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    He saw a "guy" with a gun and was scared and reacted to that? Remember, they thought he was 20ish before and after the shooting.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    He saw a "guy" with a gun and was scared and reacted to that? Remember, they thought he was 20ish before and after the shooting.

I know, that part was understandable. I feel really bad for the officer. He found himself in a bad situation. The officer driving the car, whether by accident or by poor decision-making, put him in that situation. If it had been an older man, and if that man had murderous intent, he might well have killed the officer before he even got out of the car.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    Maybe the most productive thing we can do is to determine the best way to interact with police if they roll up on us and once that way is determined, share that knowledge.

If I get pulled over at night, I turn off the ignition, turn on the interior light, roll down the window and put my hands on the steering wheel until instructed to do something else. This is part of my self defense planning against getting accidentally shot by a cop during a traffic stop. My dad instructed me in this when I started driving. Years before this, he instructed me on how people might shoot you if they think your toy gun is a real gun.

Maybe education is the answer?

Top Bottom