• ...and so much more!
  • indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    I finally got started reloading, went with the suggested load, and test fired my first batch. 115gr Xtreme plated bullets with 4.0gr of Titegroup. Everything was fine, each round cycled, but I noticed the brass had powder burns on the outside. I read it was lack of case expansion, and to increase the load, but the max suggested is 4.2...I have grown attached to all ten of my fingers and would rather not lose them.

What should I do?

I've been down this road. Increase the crimp. Case neck tension is causing the behavior you're describing. Sorry if it has already been pointed out, I didn't read the entire thread.

bauerr3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 29, 2013
    Southside
    Everything I load with Titegroup (38special,45acp,and 32 Long) has sooty cases after firing. They all shoot fine.

All of my sooty cases shot fine as well, I just don't want to take any chances with a small explosion in my hand. I also didn't know if that was bad for the gun!

Upped my load to 4.4grain, the soot is gone, but will take advantage of a chronograph sometime soon.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    All of my sooty cases shot fine as well, I just don't want to take any chances with a small explosion in my hand. I also didn't know if that was bad for the gun!

Upped my load to 4.4grain, the soot is gone, but will take advantage of a chronograph sometime soon.

Are 4.0 and 4.4 the two weight options that you currently have? Seems a bit far apart.

edit: 4.0 and 4.4 is what the chart says. Make sure you double check those weights against a scale!! In my experience the discs throw light impaired to the chart.

bauerr3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 29, 2013
    Southside
    Are 4.0 and 4.4 the two weight options that you currently have? Seems a bit far apart.

edit: 4.0 and 4.4 is what the chart says. Make sure you double check those weights against a scale!! In my experience the discs throw light impaired to the chart.

I check the weight of each round to make sure it is 4.4 grains. I actually upgraded scales to mitigate risk even further.

hoosier21

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    South Bend
    I have around 400rnds of Xtreme 9mm 115gr RN with Titegroup at an oal of 1.150. I load at 4.2, but failed to check the zero on my scale last time. It appears they are all 4.7-4.8gr. I did fire some out of my SR9c and American compact before I realized they were hot. Realized it when I shot them in my LC9s. Trying to decide if I should pull them all or not, any thoughts? Lesson learned....

hoosier21

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    South Bend
    You said it appears to be at 4.7 - 4.8 grs, why not pull a few to get the actual load? Check out Hogdon's website they have load data for 115 HP.

Yes, I did each of your suggestions yesterday, thanks. In the handful I checked they do not exceed 4.8. So it doesn't appear there are none higher. Max for 115 RN is 4.3, HP is 4.8. But the oal for the RN they list is .050 shorter than mine.

Last edited:

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    This is what I do, again this is just what I do. The Speer GDHP Bullet is .554 in length, what is the length of your xtreme bullet? Once you have the difference you should be able to determine what the COL should be to stay within the published load data. I load xtreme bullets and titegroup, there are no published data for xtreme bullets, so this is the method I use.

Last edited:

romack991

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 27, 2012
    Do ya think 3.1grains Titegroup for 147RN SNS would make power factor?

What barrel length? In a 5" 1911, I was getting 130PF with 3.2gr TG, 147 plated, and 1.150". 135PF with 3.4gr. So 3.1gr is probably on the edge and could depend on the temp that day. Coated will typically be a bit faster than plated/jacketed but I would make sure you put them through a chrono or bump to 3.3gr as I like to be 132 to 135PF.

sugarcreekbrass

Expert
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 29, 2015
    West central
    This is what I do, again this is just what I do. The Speer GDHP Bullet is .554 in length, what is the length of your xtreme bullet? Once you have the difference you should be able to determine what the COL should be to stay within the published load data. I load xtreme bullets and titegroup, there are no published data for xtreme bullets, so this is the method I use.

I do the same thing when trying to come up with a load that I can't find data for. As long as the weight is the same and you adjust for the different length of the bullet, it will be seated to the same depth. You just want to make sure it will chamber in your gun before loading too many.

hoosier21

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    South Bend

The ones in question are Xtreme 115gr, and are .554 long. (Incidentally I also have 124gr which are .584 long.)

S8MS-01904

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    A Carmel Roundabout
    What barrel length? In a 5" 1911, I was getting 130PF with 3.2gr TG, 147 plated, and 1.150". 135PF with 3.4gr. So 3.1gr is probably on the edge and could depend on the temp that day. Coated will typically be a bit faster than plated/jacketed but I would make sure you put them through a chrono or bump to 3.3gr as I like to be 132 to 135PF.

Mainly for USPSA & GSSF, I use a Glock 17 which has a 4.48" barrel. I do however, use this mix in a number of other shorter barreled pistols for plinking.

Seems the powder measure on the Dillon 550 and my two scales have settled on 3.2g's as a sweet weight. Trying to achieve the 3.1g consistently with it is tough. Will try to chrono soon.

jstory

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2015
    Wabash
    I'm glad I read this thread. I recently purchased some Titegroup and was planning to start at 3.5 gr. behind 124 gr. lead cast. Anyone see any problems? The book says 3.3 min and 3.7 max. At 3.5 it should be around 1050 fps. According to the book.

Exactly my load out of my Taurus 92s, no problems at all...

Top Bottom