• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 1861navy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2013
    No Flu shot, don't see the need. Call the human immune system "misinformation" all you want, but with a strong enough immune system there is little chance of getting it anyway. Plus there are many ways to keep a healthy immune system and keep antibodies high without vaccination. And to act like the people who choose not to get a flu shot are the ones responsible for getting others sick is no different than saying "9/11 truthers" have the blood of 9/11 victims in their hands. Even if Immunized you can still spread it, as it may not work on you or the "strain" might not quite match.

Not ridiculing anyone here, but just because someone has had a different experience, or has a different view doesn't always mean they are spreading "misinformation", and doesn't mean they don't use common sense. So the idea that anyone with a differing view is "uneducated, misinformed, has no logic, or fails to use common sense", is fallacious. It is an argument ploy used all to frequently anymore, "Oh, I've tried educating the ill-informed, they won't listen. I'm the end all, know all of everything. Anyone who doesn't agree with me doesn't use common sense.":stickpoke:

Bluejeeper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2014
    Montgomery County
    All I know about this is that the one year I got the shot, I ended up with that damn swine flu. That is the only time I've ever had more than a minor cold. Take from it what you will, that is my experience with flu shots. Nothing more, nothing less.

BrewerGeorge

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Plainfield
    I had a serious case of the flu once, and I would not wish it on my worst enemy. I had fever, body aches, sore throat, and horrible fatigue for about 10 days. I barely got out of bed, and I was nearly hallucinating from the fever. Now I always get the shot. To me, it's worth whatever risk there is.

I mentioned this in my first post, but I can't stress it enough. I think a lot of people think they've had "the flu" until they really get it - I know I did. It is debilitating in a way unlike anything else I have ever experienced. I think most people who say the shot "gave them the flu" don't know what the real flu truly is. I do feel like crap for days after the shot because the immune system is activated by it, but that is a LONG way from the real flu.
    A flu shot is a no brainer for me. Do you guys quoting "60% ineffective" realize that not getting one is 100% ineffective? :laugh:

You are inappropriately conflating probabilities here. 100% ineffective does not mean one gets the flu. The chance somebody gets the flu is equal to the chance they are exposed to it times the chance their immune system can't fight it off. That chance is improved by the presence of effective antibodies, from vaccination or previous exposure. The 60% stat is the chance that any strain you might be exposed to was NOT in the cocktail of the shot you took; it's the chance the shot itself will do nothing for you.

Sure, the 40% chance the shot will do something can be valuable, but only if the chance of exposure is high enough. If the chance of exposure is low, that multiplication of probabilities means your overall chance of getting the disease is still low - shot or no shot.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    It is debilitating in a way unlike anything else I have ever experienced. I think most people who say the shot "gave them the flu" don't know what the real flu truly is.
    THIS. Feeling kind of punk for a couple of days after the shot is NOT the flu.

Another misconception that drives me nuts (forgive me if it's already been mentioned here) is when people have diarrhea and call it the flu or the stomach flu. Diarrhea has nothing to do with the influenza virus; Calling it the flu is just people's PC way of avoiding having to say (or spell) diarrhea.

findingZzero

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    N WIndy
    All I know about this is that the one year I got the shot, I ended up with that damn swine flu. That is the only time I've ever had more than a minor cold. Take from it what you will, that is my experience with flu shots. Nothing more, nothing less.

Here's some more to know then. It's possible you had been infected before you got the shot. Or, the shot was ineffective. You can't get the flu from the shot. As another poster said, if you've ever had the flu, you don't ever want it again. I had it when i was much younger, and don't want to deal with it at my advanced age. And, besides, there is some evidence that a flu shot may lower the possibility of cardiac event. Now you know......;)

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    A flu shot is a no brainer for me. Do you guys quoting "60% ineffective" realize that not getting one is 100% ineffective? :laugh:
    Worst bit of logic I've seen on INGO for awhile.

And how do you explain the fact that I haven't had the flu since 2006 and have never had the flu shot in that same time frame?

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I mentioned this in my first post, but I can't stress it enough. I think a lot of people think they've had "the flu" until they really get it - I know I did. It is debilitating in a way unlike anything else I have ever experienced. I think most people who say the shot "gave them the flu" don't know what the real flu truly is. I do feel like crap for days after the shot because the immune system is activated by it, but that is a LONG way from the real flu.

This is important to note. Some people don't even know what the symptoms of influenza infections are. MANY people who have some gastrointestinal distress believe that have something called "stomach flu" and think they've had the flu. Then there are differences in how people react and it's not always predictable. Some strains hit weak people harder and some hit strong people harder. Some people have more resistance than others. But there is no doubt that anyone who has had a really bad flu infection will never forget, nor will they be cavalier about getting it in the future. Whether or not they choose to avail themselves of vaccinations is another story.

In my 49 years, I've had flu three times. Once had the symptoms onset a couple of days after I flew to California back in 1992. I spent two weeks trying to survive in a hotel room in San Francisco, which was a week past my return ticket. The high fever, alternating sweats & painful chills, body aches, weakness are something you have to experience to understand.

No problems with flu since I started getting shots. I'll keep doing it.

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    No Flu shot, don't see the need. Call the human immune system "misinformation" all you want, but with a strong enough immune system there is little chance of getting it anyway. Plus there are many ways to keep a healthy immune system and keep antibodies high without vaccination. And to act like the people who choose not to get a flu shot are the ones responsible for getting others sick is no different than saying "9/11 truthers" have the blood of 9/11 victims in their hands. Even if Immunized you can still spread it, as it may not work on you or the "strain" might not quite match.

Tell us about these ways to keep our immune system healthy!!!

Not ridiculing anyone here, but just because someone has had a different experience, or has a different view doesn't always mean they are spreading "misinformation", and doesn't mean they don't use common sense. So the idea that anyone with a differing view is "uneducated, misinformed, has no logic, or fails to use common sense", is fallacious. It is an argument ploy used all to frequently anymore, "Oh, I've tried educating the ill-informed, they won't listen. I'm the end all, know all of everything. Anyone who doesn't agree with me doesn't use common sense.":stickpoke:

I'm not claiming everything in this post that I disagree with is misinformation. But when people say things that are factually inaccurate or try to pass off opinion as fact, that is by definition misinformation.

Bluejeeper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2014
    Montgomery County
    Here's some more to know then. It's possible you had been infected before you got the shot. Or, the shot was ineffective. You can't get the flu from the shot. As another poster said, if you've ever had the flu, you don't ever want it again. I had it when i was much younger, and don't want to deal with it at my advanced age. And, besides, there is some evidence that a flu shot may lower the possibility of cardiac event. Now you know......;)

I know I didn't get the flu from the shot, it was over a month later, maybe even two. I'd guess the shot was ineffective for the strain I got or just plain didn't work:dunno:

And having had the flu, I agree with everyone else that I never want it again. I was laid up for 2 weeks and couldn't do hardly anything for myself. I had some crazy hallucinations too. It was a terrible time. I just don't think the shot is effective enough for me to feel crummy for a week after I get it and still risk getting the flu. JMHO

Last edited:

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    Just an FYI for those with legitimate (albeit unwarranted in my science based, professional opinion) concerns about thimerosal , I can tell you with certainty that the Afluria single dose syringes do NOT contain ANY amount of thimerosal. I can't speak for other chains, but I know that CVS carries Afluria and if you call and ask if they have the single dose syringes (most stores do) they will be more than happy to tell you!

Brimaster

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 24, 2010
    Lake County / Eagle
    For years I would have long discussion with my doctor as always wanted me to get it. So I finally said from what I was told is that only a couple of flu strings were in a the shot that some super intelligent people the CDC thought would be the flu strings that would be the main ones for the up coming season. Then asked if that was true or not and that if the shot would cover 100% of the flu strings. Since then never was pressured by the doctor again for the flu shot.

So never had the shot until my job (being concerned for it's employees) required it and if you don't get it would be terminated. Hoping I would not be there when it came up again and move on to a new job. Look like I'll have to get it again unless something pans out in the next couple of week.

findingZzero

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    N WIndy
    Worst bit of logic I've seen on INGO for awhile.

And how do you explain the fact that I haven't had the flu since 2006 and have never had the flu shot in that same time frame?

You can't get a virus from your computer. Only your tablet can get a virus from your computer. The cloud is sterile for humans.....:D
    If you tell me you are a school teacher, community organizer, server, or work games at Lucas oil, I take it all back.

And now I must away for my wife's birthday dinner.

Last edited:

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    For years I would have long discussion with my doctor as always wanted me to get it. So I finally said from what I was told is that only a couple of flu strings were in a the shot that some super intelligent people the CDC thought would be the flu strings that would be the main ones for the up coming season. Then asked if that was true or not and that if the shot would cover 100% of the flu strings. Since then never was pressured by the doctor again for the flu shot.

So never had the shot until my job (being concerned for it's employees) required it and if you don't get it would be terminated. Hoping I would not be there when it came up again and move on to a new job. Look like I'll have to get it again unless something pans out in the next couple of week.

Strings?

Top Bottom