To full fde glock or not to full fde glock....

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • full fde or black

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

cop car

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Southside
    Really, 3 magazines is all you will ever need? Really? No, that can't be what you really said.

Mags are consumables. Buy OEM, Buy Many, Buy Often when you find them for a good price.

Also, no night sights? You don't hear that very often.

A pistol is not an offensive weapon. It is a defensive weapon. 99% of people who carry only carry the magazine in their handgun. No reloads. Even police will only carry 2 extra mags. Military, mag in the pistol, at max 2 other mags on them, even officers or tankers who that's their only weapon will only have 3 mags total. In combat. While other mags are nice (I have more) 3 is all you will ever NEED... As for the night sights, the last thing I would want in a really dark situation is something illuminating my face, glowing to give away my position or ruining my dilated pupils. It's a pistol. Simple point and click interface.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Go on gun broker. For like $550 everything (tax, transfer, fees, all of it) you can have a fde or odg frame glock. Do gen 4 also. Much better feeling handgun. And it comes with as many magazines as you will ever need. Ever. (3) I don't like the full fde ones. Just the frame ones. It'll always be worth more than regular glock also. I wouldn't do night sights.. But that's just me.

Used gen 4 glocks shouldn't be more than $400. Ever.

Personally I have odg frame gen 4 17.

Really, 3 magazines is all you will ever need? Really? No, that can't be what you really said.

Mags are consumables. Buy OEM, Buy Many, Buy Often when you find them for a good price.

Also, no night sights? You don't hear that very often.

A pistol is not an offensive weapon. It is a defensive weapon. 99% of people who carry only carry the magazine in their handgun. No reloads. Even police will only carry 2 extra mags. Military, mag in the pistol, at max 2 other mags on them, even officers or tankers who that's their only weapon will only have 3 mags total. In combat. While other mags are nice (I have more) 3 is all you will ever NEED... As for the night sights, the last thing I would want in a really dark situation is something illuminating my face, glowing to give away my position or ruining my dilated pupils. It's a pistol. Simple point and click interface.

Well, 3 mags might be all you ever NEED, but I like to have a minimum of 4 mags for each gun when I take it to the range. If I'm only taking one or two guns, I'd rather have 6 - 8. I'd much rather shoot at the range than to sit and load magazines. As to night sights, I can't really say much except that looking at my truglo TFO's, their shielded so you only see the glow when you're behind the gun, not on the business end. I don't *think* the glow is strong enough to illuminate anything but the sights themselves, but I've never really tested it. I do think I'd rather know where I'm shooting, rather than trust myself to just point and click. I've tried that at that range, not using the sights and the results weren't all that great. Finally, on your initial post, what got me was when you said you should never pay more than $400 for a used gen 4 Glock. I've always viewed used guns as $50 off retail and anything more is even better. Most Glocks I've seen sell (stock) around $425 - $450, which seems reasonable to me. Expecting a gen 4 Glock for less than that seems a bit much to me, though I know it occasionally happens.

OP, sorry to hear your deal fell through. If you're not opposed to buying new, plenty of sites sell the new gen 4 Glocks for $539 or so and plenty sell the gen 3 for $499. If you don't have to have the gen 4 and you want something different, the OD frame that cop car mentioned is really nice. CDNN sports has the G19 in OD:

CDNN SPORTS - GLOCK 19 9MM 3RD GEN OD GREEN

They also have the G17:

CDNN SPORTS - GLOCK 17 9MM 3RD GEN OD GREEN

The only one they have in gen 4 is the G26:

CDNN SPORTS - GLOCK 26 9MM 4TH GEN OD GREEN

Anyway, all of those have free shipping and they also have the standard black frame Glocks for the same prices (as do many other online sites). Good luck finding something that meets your needs.

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Mars Hill

"As for the night sights, the last thing I would want in a really dark situation is something illuminating my face, glowing to give away my position or ruining my dilated pupils. It's a pistol. Simple point and click interface."

It does not work that way. The illuminated sights won't light up your wrist let alone your face. As far as night vision, in a really dark situation one would not have any sight picture.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    I'll just leave this here

attachment.php

cmkaehr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2013
    20141025_132346.jpg

Turns out I compromised and got the 2 tone. Very happy on how everything turned out. I really appreciate everyone's input!

cmkaehr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2013
    On a side note, if you're ever in Bluffton, stop in at Parlor City pawn and gun. Luke and Austin are great guys to deal with and I will be doing further business with them.

cop car

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Southside
    I think you will be very happy with your choice. The full fde guns IMO won't be worth as much in the future. While they are coming from a new distributor, they are made by glock as a fde frame and sent elsewhere for the slide to be made fde. Historically factory guns are in the end worth more. But only time will tell.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    Turns out I compromised and got the 2 tone. Very happy on how everything turned out. I really appreciate everyone's input!

Nice. I really like the two tone ones.

I was in the same boat last week. I wanted a 19, but really wanted the FDE frame version like you bought. I didn't want to pay the extra, though (roughly $100), so I bought a black one from Kieslers Police Supply. When It comes down to it, it's a tool, not a fashion accessory (that's what I'm telling myself anyway so I can live with the black one).

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Wise choice, have heard of malfunctions with refinished slides with Glocks.

That's true. I don't know if it applies to the FDE or OD slides, but on a 9mm Glock, the NP3 finish definitely has a break in period of around 150 rounds before the gun will function like a Glock should.

OP: Nice choice. I'd love to pick up an FDE G23 some day.

Top Bottom