• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    that's not really a fair assessment, lars. and remember, i told you negative scores (and percentages) are not allowed.

you should do better now that you've seen what's up at an ipsc match. well, that and get some mag pouches. plural. more mags wouldn't hurt.

I'm trying to change platforms from the HK P30 to a Glock
    that way I don't have to own anything, I can just borrow a pile of gear ;)

I have a pretty good idea what I was doing wrong. Hopefully I'll do better next time. Watching the video footage I struggled to get my magazines from wherever they happened to be. That's got to be worth something.

Seeing the front sight, but not waiting until it completely lined up with the rear sight accounts for most of the rest. I'll do better next time

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    I'm trying to change platforms from the HK P30 to a Glock
    that way I don't have to own anything, I can just borrow a pile of gear ;)

where might you borrow said gear?

I have a pretty good idea what I was doing wrong. Hopefully I'll do better next time. Watching the video footage I struggled to get my magazines from wherever they happened to be. That's got to be worth something.

time counts a bunch. points scored divided by time to complete equals raw hit factor. smooth is fast.

Seeing the front sight, but not waiting until it completely lined up with the rear sight accounts for most of the rest. I'll do better next time

accuracy of the sight picture is more critical as you get further away. stating the obvious, i realize, but for the close targets, getting the front sight anywhere in the notch will do. trigger control is key.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    The key "see what you need to see."

The more difficicult a shot is, the more refined your sight picture must be. For a less difficult shot, you don't need to see that much... think of LtCol Cooper's "flash sight picture."

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Rhino, Pretend I started shooting in March, 2008.
    then re-explain that to me.

D'OH! Sorry!

"See what you need to see" is something that was either coined by Brian Enos, or at least popularized by him. In a nutshell, the idea is that sight pictures vary from distinct focus on the front sight to where you can see the serrations or other details on the metal clearly, all the way to seeing the back side of the gun and knowing it's pointed in the right direction. For difficult shots, whether because of distance, size of target, or both, you need a sight picture closer the former (also called "hard focus"). Hard focus is usually slower, but it's a trade-off you make for accuracy. Moving toward the other end, you get to "soft focus," which is where the front sight is a little blurry, but you definitely see it and its relationship to the rear sight and the target. This is significantly faster and probably the most common, as for most people when they are going "fast" their eyes are switching back and forth between the sight and the target(s).

So the idea is that you see the front sight as clearly as you need to see it to make a given shot. The refinement of the sight picture necessary will also vary by shooter and their skill level.

"Flash sight picture" is a little older but closely related idea promoted by the late LtCol Jeff Cooper, who is known as the father of the Modern Technique of the Pistol (which is the uniquely American martial art from which all of our pistol shooting is directly descended). The idea is that for most shots, you just need to see the front sight and that it is generally centered in the rear notch (someone who is better versed in explaining this should feel free to add or correct me). It's a different way of saying "see what you need to see," but in the language that people who were educated at Gunsite or one of its offshoots would understand better.

I hope that helps!

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    to add to rhino's excellent explanation, the flash sight picture is defined as a snapshot of your sight alignment as you index. you know the index is good, all the feedback from your upper body, arms, hands etc, "feels" correct, so just a quick peek at the sights...hence flash sight picture. think of several stopped frames of a movie. if the target is close and wide open, you only need to "flash" on one frame of your sight picture movie. as the targets get more difficult due to distance or "clutter", then you'll need to view a few more frames...

EatMeerkats

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2008
    I recently discovered a downside to practice... I've put 1,855 rounds though my gun in 1 month (since the last cleaning), and during this past Tuesday's League night, my trigger started taking a few seconds to reset. Clearly, in order for Rhino's cleaning schedule to be effective, you have to not practice!

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I recently discovered a downside to practice... I've put 1,855 rounds though my gun in 1 month (since the last cleaning), and during this past Tuesday's League night, my trigger started taking a few seconds to reset. Clearly, in order for Rhino's cleaning schedule to be effective, you have to not practice!

Let's hope you're not having mechanical problems like Coach did with his XDs.

pierce195

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    New Castle
    I'm now on the bad list. I took my Para P16 and Commander 9mm out and praticed while at work today. Sorry to dissapoint all of my fellow shooters on the forum. LOL

notasccrmom

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 10, 2008
    south 'til you smell
    So did you ever figure out what was causing it? Was it just dirty?

notasccrmom

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 10, 2008
    south 'til you smell
    though i like and shoot glocks, this one doesn't hold water. operating a g17 on rhino's cleaning schedule WILL make a glock not run. i can prove it. BUT, a quick wipe and a squirt of '40 and i was able to finish the event.
    I gotta say, that's pretty surprising. I've gone quite a few rounds without cleaning my 34. I finally broke down and detail stripped it earlier in the month.

How in the world does he keep his 1911 running on that schedule?!?

pierce195

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    New Castle
    I couldn't keep my 1911's running on that schedule. I try to clean them before each match. My glock's on the other hand can run with out cleaning as often.

Last edited:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    How in the world does he keep his 1911 running on that schedule?!?

Two keys:

1. A gun that built properly so it truly is as reliable as any other brand or model on the market.

2. Appropriate lubricant.

Not all 1911s will tolerate the kind of "abuse" I give them, but mine will. If a gun won't go a minimum of 1000 rounds without a malfunction without cleaning, I have no interest in it. Most of mine will go significantly longer than that, although I may have to add a little lube now and then.

I've had guns that would not perform to my standards. They either got "fixed" or they were retired or sent to a new home. I have a Springfield Ultra Compact that may see a new home soon. It works great if you grip it tightly, but I demand that my guns function properly when I'm shooting and holding it with just one thumb and my middle finger. If it will function that way, it will typcially function under almost any circumstances other than being bone dry. If it does not, that tells me it may be on the edge of malfunctioning even when gripped tightly, which is not acceptable to me.

In my opinion, a gun is only reliable if it functions without incident until something breaks (which can and has happened to any kind of gun).

I will admit that guns that are used primarily for games get less attention from me than do guns that might be more likely pressed into service of a more serious nature.

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Dryfire is especially useful to those new to shooting sports (or just shooting in general) because it accomplishes a few key things.

Your familiarity with the gun - One's ability to consistently make good shots and follow-up shots comes from familiarity with the gun in your hand. If it feels foreign your attention will be detoured to "what is this strange thing in my hand?" instead of focusing on executing a good shot.

Muscle memory - For any practical purpose, moving a gun (pistol, long gun - no matter) from an unmounted (e.g. holstered or low-ready) to a mounted (arms/gun extended to and on target) position isn't replicated in any daily activity most people do. If you want to become proficient with moving the gun from a unmounted to mounted position, dryfire is the cheapest and most expeditious way of building that physical conditioning.

Refining technical movements - dryfire is THE place to build skill and confidence with movements like magazine changes (with and without retention), getting into/out of various shooting positions (kneeling, prone, barricades), and transitions from long gun to sidearm and vice versa.

Dryfire is one of the most cost-effective skill building/refinement activities any shooter can use.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    The vertically-enhanced slow1911s speaks the truth!

It's amazing how fast someone can progress with even a little consistent dry fire practice. Just 10-15 minutes a few times a week will make a noticeable difference. People who do an hour a day get really good really fast.

Of course, this is purely conjecture on my part. :D

Top Bottom