• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mrfjones

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Chico
    So I took the family to the zoo today and while my little girl was playing I heard a guy yelling obscenities into his phone. I'm already unhappy with this and apparently I'm not alone as someone from the zoo comes to speak with him. They ask him to stop using foul language around all the kids. He then continues to tell them it is his fing right and to show him where he lost his freedom of speech. Security got involved and this guy kept reaching for whatever he had in his waistband. I'm glad he didn't pull anything out but it sure got my blood pumping as he kept feeling the grip of his knife or pistol.

Anyone else around for this about 2:30 on Sunday afternoon.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Some times all it takes is a few irate dads to use such a person to make faceprints in the pavement, preferably out of view of the children.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    That would be a frightening moment. I sure would have gotten my family out of there.

mrfjones

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Chico
    Well I guess I should state it was in Indianapolis, and it was the one with exotic wild animals and apparently a few rather local animals too.

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    First, even though many do it, talking on your phone in public (loud enough for those around you to hear) IS very rude. Second, I really hate when people have the bad taste to use obscene language around children. We could less of both in society these days.

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    Oh, I believe you. I taught Business Etiquette classes for a while and I had plenty of participants argue with me on this point saying "everybody does it". My answer was and is that "no matter how many people do it, doesn't make it right." I am a big free speech advocate but I also believe there is a time and place for everything. Sorry for your negative experience at a place that should be kid friendly. BTW, I have experienced similar on several trips to Disney World. Sad really.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    At least no one was OC

Since security got involved, hope that it costs the city millions, (Sarcasm).
    I do believe in free speech, however like many stated, there is a time and place for a lot of things. I dont tell every dirty joke or story that I know in front of elementary kids, those I tell in adult company. Too bad that once upon a time, there used to be something that could be done about it, but seems we have outlawed it. If it was fighting speech, or provoking speech, and you provoked people into a fight, then nothing would happen to them, since the one person started it with the speech. In this case, a bunch of irate mothers and fathers do a riverdance on this idiots face. Now, teaches the kids the lesson, foul language shouldnt be used like that, and the pain teaches the idiot to watch his foul mouth around kids....

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    You guys probably wouldn't like what my wife called a lady at the Fort Wayne zoo who elbowed our 4 year old in the head hard and did not say excuse me or check on him.

Also find it humorous that you pick and choose which rights someone can exercise at a zoo. It's OK to carry a handgun around children, but not to swear.

I've had people look at me for smacking my kids hand if they are grabbing stuff from shelves, and for smacking their mouth for screaming at my wife or me. Quite frankly, it's none of their business either. Had it been me as a kid, I wouldn't have been able to sit down for a while.

Perhaps the person felt their rights were being violated and was turning on a recorder? You never know ;)

Sgt.Striker

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2012
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    was the guy guilty of being an asshat? most definitely. but i cant really condone people suggesting that the man be assaulted and "taught a lesson".
    maybe the man just got a call from an employee telling him some stupid thing they did that cost him alot of money. maybe his girlfriend just called to tell him she was cheating on him. who knows? we all lose our cool sometimes, if he wasnt breaking the law then leave the guy alone. im not saying its ok to use harsh language around kids, but it happens sometimes. speaking for myself, if im at the zoo (or anywhere for that matter) and someone tries to use violence to "teach me a lesson" about swearing in public, its not gonna end well for anyone. you always have the option of being the smarter party and exit the situation. like i said, what the man was doing may not be right, but its not illegal.

mrfjones

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Chico
    You guys probably wouldn't like what my wife called a lady at the Fort Wayne zoo who elbowed our 4 year old in the head hard and did not say excuse me or check on him.

Also find it humorous that you pick and choose which rights someone can exercise at a zoo. It's OK to carry a handgun around children, but not to swear.

I've had people look at me for smacking my kids hand if they are grabbing stuff from shelves, and for smacking their mouth for screaming at my wife or me. Quite frankly, it's none of their business either. Had it been me as a kid, I wouldn't have been able to sit down for a while.

Perhaps the person felt their rights were being violated and was turning on a recorder? You never know ;)

You know, I'm really alright with a one time thing like calling out the idiot that hit kid. But when asked nicely to stop because it is a family environment you should be able to control yourself, which this person could not. Just because I know how to swear doesn't mean I need to show that off everywhere.

As for carrying a gun, no one knew I was because I didn't keep grabbing it and waving it around to make people feel uncomfortable. I'm sure I would have been asked to leave but also given nice silver bracelets by the boys in blue if On my way out.

To the guy that suggested he had a reason to be upset, that an employee had cost him money etc, no he was taking to his wife about spending money on food at the zoo. He had no real cause for this and should have been adult enough to behave himself in public especially after being asked to do so.

It's really not about rights, it's about being responsible and tactful.

Top Bottom