• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Informed Decision

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2014
    Evansville
    Way back when it was time for me to register to vote, my mom took me downtown & explained that I needed to register as a democrat Every year afterwards when the primary would come around, the polling people would ask which party & I would say democrat. I found out last night that Indiana has open polling for the primary. I can vote in either democratic or republican primaries. THAT made my day! I was able to vote in a way that I felt that my vote would count. I can only hope that if other voters were aware of that then that really could affect the outcome of today's primary. GO AMERICA!!!

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    I found out last night that Indiana has open polling for the primary. I can vote in either democratic or republican primaries. THAT made my day! I was able to vote in a way that I felt that my vote would count. I can only hope that if other voters were aware of that then that really could affect the outcome of today's primary. GO AMERICA!!!

By law Indiana does not have an open primary. To legally receive a partisan (R or D) primary ballot you have to get the one for which party you voted for the most in the last general or if you didn't vote in the last general the party you intend to vote for in the next general.

Now it is virtually impossible to enforce, but it is still the law.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Yep, yet this is the second time today I've heard of poll workers giving voters any ballot they wanted.

One of the poll workers where I went this morning told a guy he could switch to the ballot he wanted. Or something along those lines.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    364   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I didn't think one "registered" as anything in Indiana. When you register to vote, you do not declare a party then, do you? It has been too long for me so I do not remember I guess.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I didn't think one "registered" as anything in Indiana. When you register to vote, you do not declare a party then, do you? It has been too long for me so I do not remember I guess.

I don't remember declaring any party affiliation when I registered either. But yeah, it's been awhile...

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    We have an open primary for Presidential elections. The poll workers asked which ballot I wanted. I registered as a Democrat back when I was 18, that is certainly NOT how I voted today ;)

Indiana - Open Primaries

What year did you register? I can't remember when IN registered voters by party. And the worker should have asked which ballot you were eligible for. But as I stated above it's virtually unenforceable.
    Per the IC for primary elections.
    IC 3-10-1-6
    Eligible voters
    Sec. 6. A voter may vote at a primary election:
    (1) if the voter, at the last general election, voted for a majority
    of the regular nominees of the political party holding the
    primary election; or
    (2) if the voter did not vote at the last general election, but
    intends to vote at the next general election for a majority of the
    regular nominees of the political party holding the primary
    election;
    as long as the voter was registered as a voter at the last general
    election or has registered since then.

I didn't declare a party when I registered and that was over 20 years ago.

I don't remember declaring any party affiliation when I registered either. But yeah, it's been awhile...

Me either.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I was asked what ballot I wanted today as well - Silver Creek HS polling place.

You are considered to be a "registered republican" if you took a Republican primary ballot in the last primary election. If I wanted to run as a Democrat for office, but voted Republican in the last primary, I would have to change my registration or provide proof from the local party chair that my new party affiliation is accepted.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    You are considered to be a "registered republican" if you took a Republican primary ballot in the last primary election. If I wanted to run as a Democrat for office, but voted Republican in the last primary, I would have to change my registration or provide proof from the local party chair that my new party affiliation is accepted.

Cite please. And where and how do you change your registration?

Balarrison

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2016
    Columbus
    I'll throw my opinion in. I just recently turned 18, this is my first election and i just recently registered. They didn't have me choose a party when I registered

The Ninja

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    Indianapolis
    In my experience, you do not officially register with either party. The rules make it that you are supposed to vote in the primary for the party you voted for in the last general election, but that is quite obviously impossible to enforce (secret ballot and all). I've always just been asked with party ballot I want when I go to the early voting.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    So what happens if you want to switch allegiances between elections. Your saying in Indiana that you are not allowed to? That is a crazy law.

You can switch allegiances, but you have to vote in the primary for the party which received the majority of your vote in the last general. Or get a nonpartisan ballot which will have school board, referendums, etc on it.
    IC 3-10-1-6
    Eligible voters
    Sec. 6. A voter may vote at a primary election:
    (1) if the voter, at the last general election, voted for a majority
    of the regular nominees of the political party holding the
    primary election; or
    (2) if the voter did not vote at the last general election, but
    intends to vote at the next general election for a majority of the
    regular nominees of the political party holding the primary
    election;
    as long as the voter was registered as a voter at the last general
    election or has registered since then.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    What year did you register? I can't remember when IN registered voters by party. And the worker should have asked which ballot you were eligible for. But as I stated above it's virtually unenforceable.

Me either.
    24 years ago at a booth at the Marion County Fair, just after I turned 18. I registered to vote at the Democrat booth.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan

Me either.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    24 years ago at a booth at the Marion County Fair, just after I turned 18. I registered to vote at the Democrat booth.

Okay, about the same time I did. I did it at the license branch when renewing my license. I didn't register any party. It sounds like you registered Dem with the Dem party but not the state.

Per the IC it doesn't matter what party you are registered with, just which one received the majority of your votes in the last general.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    She Who Must Be Obeyed always thought she was registered independent, and didn't get to vote in the primary except on issues. I went in early and got asked which ballot I wanted despite voting R forever. So I let her know, and she voted in a primary for the first time in years. Had to pick R or D though. And she made the right choice.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Okay so here's a question... If the Libertarian party (for example) got big enough that they held their own convention with more than one candidate vying for the various offices, would Indiana then need to begin issuing Libertarian ballots? I just presume that D and R are the only choices because there are no third parties big enough to warrant conventions.

Top Bottom