• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • The Keymaster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Manistee County, MI
    Eh? Why are 'virtually all' of these involving running serials on guns? This is the kind of thing that makes even the 'moderates' like me think it's better to be less cooperative and forthcoming about LEO interactions. Why are they running serials on guns without any cause or suspicion?

As far as I am concerned it is another form of harassment of citizens who are legally carrying firearms. The me the safest place for my weapon during a traffic stop is in my holster. Until recently I was pretty sure that is where it would stay. Now that LTCH info goes out with every name check, That is not the case. I am waiting to see what happens when a citizen gets shot with his own firearm during one of these interactions. I am also waiting to see what happens if an LEO shoots himself with a firearm that he/she is not familiar with. We have a lot of young officers in Porter County, and I am VERY concerned about being disarmed by them.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    Still, temporarily taking it "for officer safety" does not, IMHOIANAL, give any justification for running serials. You want my cell phone so you can see if that's stolen, too? Sure, no problem. How about my wife's jewelry? It's equally suspicious, right?

Oh, don't forget my laptop, my watch...

Wwwildthing

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 25, 2010
    Arizona
    In Arizona, they define 'officer safety' as... "leave it where it is".

Possession is (still) 9/10 of the law.

Last edited:

The Keymaster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Manistee County, MI
    Here is another thought. When they do run a serial, that becomes a part of a permanent record linking an individual to a weapon. A cynic might be convinced that this could be linked to a future gun grab...just saying.

SideArmed

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011
    I got pulled over once "for going down a one way street the wrong direction" when in fact I wasn't...I gave him the raised eyebrow look and he changed his mind.

:hijack:

When I was 16 and didn't know any better, I got a ticket for "Improperly Backing Into Another Vehicle". I was going to ask the cop how exactly I properly back into another verhicle, but it didn't seem like the right time to be cracking jokes.

Back to your regularly scheduled debate....

Hammerhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Bartholomew County
    Richardson kicks in if the stop is for a seat belt violation.

:n00b: :facepalm: :wallbash:

Really? You still are sticking to that, aren't you? Even after repeatedly having been proven wrong?

Valid LTCH ceases further inquiry into firearms. Especially since I don't have to answer any questions. Do you not see that? You can ask all you like. You make a case out of it, and my lawyer will have a field day.

The valid LTCH was the issue in Richardson after the seatbelt issue was concluded.

But keep believing it was only the seatbelt.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Exactly... if *they* can't prove it's statute, then it isn't. Which is why the burden of proof always falls on the officer.

To my knowledge, this map is still accurate.

CCW%20must%20inform%20states.jpg

There is no indiana code that requires that you inform an officer that you are carrying.

I will relent if you post pertinent IC.

OR MAY BE JUST POST THIRD PARTY INTERNET POSTINGS. BECAUSE WE ALL KNOW THAT EVERYTHING POSTED ON THE INTERNET IS ENTIRELY ACCURATE.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    There is no indiana code that requires that you inform an officer that you are carrying.

OR MAY BE JUST POST THIRD PARTY INTERNET POSTINGS. BECAUSE WE ALL KNOW THAT EVERYTHING POSTED ON THE INTERNET IS ENTIRELY ACCURATE.

Look at the map again. The map shows that Indiana does not require you to inform.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30

Indiana is red. According to the legend, Indiana does not require you to inform.

:ugh:Blue falcon we think you mis-read the graphic.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Ah, Jediagh master I am but a lowly padwan, punk, who has the misfortune to live in Gary.

But, the High Point crack was TOTALLY uncalled for!

If you can only carry 1 gun, make it a 1911A1.

Last edited:

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Personally OP, I would write a letter to the department of the officer, addressed to the Chief. Note, this would not be a complaint; actually you should compliment the officer.... and then ask "Must LTCH holders inform if carrying a firearm?" Then explain the situation and state that you were confused by the officer's statement because you were under a different impression. Ask that if the officer is incorrect, that he and other officers that are unaware of this law, be informed. Give it a week or two for him to respond. If he doesn't, send copies of your letter until you get a response.

:twocents:

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Personally OP, I would write a letter to the department of the officer, addressed to the Chief. Note, this would not be a complaint; actually you should compliment the officer.... and then ask "Must LTCH holders inform if carrying a firearm?" Then explain the situation and state that you were confused by the officer's statement because you were under a different impression. Ask that if the officer is incorrect, that he and other officers that are unaware of this law, be informed. Give it a week or two for him to respond. If he doesn't, send copies of your letter until you get a response.

:twocents:

Yup so that in a few weeks from that point you will get severed with a "restraining order" for harrasment. :D

-Jedi

jve153

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    bargersville, in
    if i recall correctly, if there is a restraining order, BOTH parties have to adhere. meaning, if party a has an order against party b and party b has to stay 500 feet from party a, then party a cannot purposely put himself somewhere that party b is just so party b has to move. well say said place is a cigar shop that b frequents and a has never been, but knowing b hangs out there, a cannot start hanging out there just to **** off b. so if the police get a restraining order against you, then you win because they would have to stay away from you as well. win!

Top Bottom