• What is your tool brand of choice?

• Total voters

Hanen42

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2012
    Ossian
    Just spent some time on my off day to organize my tool box. Just curious what you guys wrench with or what your favorite is. I myself haven't spent a whole lot on tools, but I've bought a nice Matco tool cart. I've got alot of craftsman generic service tools and what not. Air tools are mainly IR. Few specialty Matco.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    Just spent some time on my off day to organize my tool box. Just curious what you guys wrench with or what your favorite is.

+1 Matco
    Whatever fits....seriously, I have so many of each different tool in each different brand including those that haven't existed since WWII I just grab whatever fits and use it. If it bends or breaks I throw it in a barrel to be re-purposed when the need arises. If I need something I don't have (yeah right) I make it from the stuff in the barrel. I've spent the last month trying to gather it all into one place and organize it and haven't even made a dent yet. There's stuff for railroad use, military use, everything. I had my own stuff of various makes mostly craftsman, snapon and husky with some of the newer stanley stuff (the new stanley line is really good stuff and inexpensive), then when my wifes uncle died we inherited his and her grandfathers stuff. They were both railroaders for a combined total of 70 years and her great grandpa all his life too.....I doubt I could fit it all in my 53' trailer. Of all the stuff I've found lying about though I think I like the "PROTO" best.

down3green

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 19, 2010
    Brown County

I've got a 45 year collection of just about everything under the sun. Nothing fancy in it at all - probably the "nicest" stuff would be a couple of Craftsman wrench sets.

One thing I've learned as I got older is how much more pleasurable it is to work with good tools and have the right tool for the job.

Oh well, I think I'm too old to start worrying about it now, and what I have still gets the job done.

Twentyfootdaredevil

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 4, 2011
    Chandler, In
    I have some of everything you mentioned. I don't buy into a tool line. I like Snap On's ratchets but I don't like their wrenches or screwdrivers.

I was starting to like Kobalt until they sold out.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Another hobbyist. I have tons of Craftsman tools. Most decent quality for the cost. I don't have Matco, Snap-on, Mac, or Cornwell because their trucks don't stop at my house (and that stuff is pricey). I'll admit to having a bunch of Harbor Freight stuff as well. For as little as I use some of the specialty stuff, it works just fine. Especially for the cost.

Whatever the case, the right tool makes the job infinitely easier. Even if it is a "cheap" tool.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Looks like I was the only Mac vote so far.
    Just out of High School I worked at a truck (semi) repair place and the Mac guy gave me a better deal than snap-on. Now 25 yrs later I have Mac, Snap-on, Craftsman

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    As far as my tools go, I pretty much have a dog from every county in my bag. I do have one rule though, and that rule is I buy a quality brand when I need to add a tool. The last thing I want is to be in the middle of a job and have a cheap piece of Chinese made crap break on me.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    You can't beat the warranty on anything from Sears.

The thing about that is that Sears as a company aint doing so hot in this bad economy, and the lifetime warranty on craftsman tools may end up being not your lifetime but the lifetime of Sears.

I cant pick one company over the other. I work with tools every day and have a mix bag bc some brands make things better than others. My Matco cordless impact blows everyother one Ive tried out of the water hands down. But I keep breaking my Matco ratchet. My Snap-on ratchets are 10 years old and they have yet to have the internals replaced, but I hate snap-on wrenches. I have a Whole set of Craftsman wrenches that I use everyday, But ive blown up more than a few of thier sockets. I love my Matco set of sockets but they are on Snap-on extentions. I buy what works and they all have some stuff that works better than the other brand.

Hammer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    On the lake
    I was a mechanic back in the late 80's I have receipts for $15,000 worth of snap on tools. Now if I still have all the tools is another story all together. But I have quite the ix now of anything from snap on, mac, matco, K&D, blue point, craftsman, Chinese send you to the ER wrenches, and kobalt.

But unless you are wrenching everyday, snap on is too over priced for the homeowner.

Lancem

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    North of Ft Wayne
    For some reason that I've never been able to fathom "professionals" are stuck on the snap-on Matco brands, I've used my tools just as hard and just as long and Craftsman and yes Harbor Freight have been my staples. The usual line I get is "the truck comes once a week" I'm thinking if some thing breaks on Tuesday and the truck runs Mondays, you're Fk'd, if you need it driving to Sears, or now KMart or who ever else sells Craftsman isn't such a big deal, but it seems to be an ego thing, $5K for that Snap on tool box, look this drawer will support my weight!!! Wow I'm impressed... my 20 year old craftsman won't probably do that but it was only $200... The other $4800 I spent on tools!

No matter the brand of the wrench, it's no better than the man turning it!

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I have a Snap-On toolbox and a Craftsman toolbox in the garage. Mostly Snap-on tools but my sockets are Craftsman. Airtools are Bluepoint. Some small tools are Mac. Years of being a custom car audio installer. Since leaving that job years ago, I can have all my tools in the garage. Not a large collection...maybe about 6k worth.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    The thing about that is that Sears as a company aint doing so hot in this bad economy, and the lifetime warranty on craftsman tools may end up being not your lifetime but the lifetime of Sears.

I cant pick one company over the other. I work with tools every day and have a mix bag bc some brands make things better than others. My Matco cordless impact blows everyother one Ive tried out of the water hands down. But I keep breaking my Matco ratchet. My Snap-on ratchets are 10 years old and they have yet to have the internals replaced, but I hate snap-on wrenches. I have a Whole set of Craftsman wrenches that I use everyday, But ive blown up more than a few of thier sockets. I love my Matco set of sockets but they are on Snap-on extensions. I buy what works and they all have some stuff that works better than the other brand.
    Sears does NOT own craftsman or the name. Craftsman is its very own company that manufactures tools and sells them through various venues. They have a contract with Sears and as part of it sears brands other items under the name. The deal was originally very beneficial to all involved, sears, craftsman, the consumer, etc. however it has been a strained relationship for some time now and recently sears has been stocking less and lees of it, gradually replacing it on the shelves with the old sears brand made by the lowest bidder. Craftsman

CTC B4Z

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    nUe-ten Kownt
    Snap-on... I've broken almost everything I have from them, but i use it a lot and beat everything to death... I just wish our rep was a little more of a people person. Ive been buying Matco now for some time bc he shows up everyday on time... snap-on shows up after work and then *****es bc he didnt get paid.... oh well, show up when were there...

Top Bottom