• What is your tool brand of choice?

• Total voters

cumminspwrd02

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 23, 2009
    Valparaiso
    Most of my tools are Craftsman but I do have some snap-on and matco tools in the mix. My snap-on stuff is mainly air tools and some specialty tools. My tool box is a craftsman too.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Craftsman and Kobalt for hand tools unless they are one time projects then its H.F.
    Power tools DeWalt as much as possible.

Hammer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    On the lake
    For some reason that I've never been able to fathom "professionals" are stuck on the snap-on Matco brands, I've used my tools just as hard and just as long and Craftsman and yes Harbor Freight have been my staples. The usual line I get is "the truck comes once a week" I'm thinking if some thing breaks on Tuesday and the truck runs Mondays, you're Fk'd, if you need it driving to Sears, or now KMart or who ever else sells Craftsman isn't such a big deal, but it seems to be an ego thing, $5K for that Snap on tool box, look this drawer will support my weight!!! Wow I'm impressed... my 20 year old craftsman won't probably do that but it was only $200... The other $4800 I spent on tools!

No matter the brand of the wrench, it's no better than the man turning it!

For full time mechanics the feel is a big deal. Craftsman used to have the raised ridges on their tools which would rub blisters on your hands and cause your skin to bulge up, snap on has always had smooth chrome finishes which feel better in the users hands.

Also Flank Drive was first used my snap on. It is basically a small divot in the very corner of the drive that allows the wrench or socket to bite on a larger / stronger area of the hex thus not stripping them out like others would. I have actually taken stripped out nuts off with a snap on wrench.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    For some reason that I've never been able to fathom "professionals" are stuck on the snap-on Matco brands, I've used my tools just as hard and just as long and Craftsman and yes Harbor Freight have been my staples. The usual line I get is "the truck comes once a week" I'm thinking if some thing breaks on Tuesday and the truck runs Mondays, you're Fk'd, if you need it driving to Sears, or now KMart or who ever else sells Craftsman isn't such a big deal, but it seems to be an ego thing, $5K for that Snap on tool box, look this drawer will support my weight!!! Wow I'm impressed... my 20 year old craftsman won't probably do that but it was only $200... The other $4800 I spent on tools!

No matter the brand of the wrench, it's no better than the man turning it!
    I have yet to find a ratchet as smooth as the Snap-On's. Well worth the money. Love their ratcheting screwdrivers, again the smoothest. I have used the Snap-On sockets and wrenches but I could not afford them for myself. They are much nicer than Craftsman, less prone to slippage, tighter tolerances. I bought my Craftsman box recently, it's quality is fair at best. My Snap-On box was actually my grandfathers from when he worked at a Cadillac dealership in the early 50's. So it is about 60yrs old and is STILL better than the new Craftsman. My Snap-On middle sections I bought used from the Snap-On man for much cheaper than retail. It is more than just ego.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    My toolbox spans a little bit from everyone I think...
    Craftsman, S&K, Snap-On, Matco, Mac, Wera, Wiha, Channel Lock, Mayhew, etc, etc...

Different Companies have different tools that I prefer for feel and application. I just prefer tools from Companies that offer Lifetime Warranties and will be in business for more than a week...

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    I have yet to find a ratchet as smooth as the Snap-On's. Well worth the money. Love their ratcheting screwdrivers, again the smoothest. I have used the Snap-On sockets and wrenches but I could not afford them for myself. They are much nicer than Craftsman, less prone to slippage, tighter tolerances. I bought my Craftsman box recently, it's quality is fair at best. My Snap-On box was actually my grandfathers from when he worked at a Cadillac dealership in the early 50's. So it is about 60yrs old and is STILL better than the new Craftsman. My Snap-On middle sections I bought used from the Snap-On man for much cheaper than retail. It is more than just ego.

^^^^This^^^^ says it all. :yesway:

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    When I had my shop over on West 16th St. I did buy SOME snap on because they have some really neat specialty stuff no one else makes. I really liked the 45' wobbly swivel extensions. I also had a VERY expensive 1/2" impact that was second to none (except the next one up the snap on line) and the ECM scanner was pretty important I just wish it didn't cost $3500 with each make and models cable/software costing another several hundred...

CTC B4Z

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    nUe-ten Kownt
    Two of the best tools I own...

Snap-On 3/8 torque wrench. digital display, beeps and vibrates when you reach torque.
    Twrench.jpg

7.2 drill driver. this particular one I used and abused for over a year, sold to fellow worker, and bought a new one just bc it was cheap. thing still runs great
    snappy.jpg

tool storage is not as important... Craftsman boxes are great and this $260 NAPA cart is the SAME one that everybody else sells for $1000. I've got less than $1000 in storage.
    newbox.jpg

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    When I had my shop over on West 16th St. I did buy SOME snap on because they have some really neat specialty stuff no one else makes. I really liked the 45' wobbly swivel extensions. I also had a VERY expensive 1/2" impact that was second to none (except the next one up the snap on line) and the ECM scanner was pretty important I just wish it didn't cost $3500 with each make and models cable/software costing another several hundred...
    Where do you keep the 45' wobbly swivel extension at?! :popcorn:

pipman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2011
    SW Indy
    I was a diesel mechanic in the military for 8 years and we only used Snap-On. Each tech in the shop was given a $40k box full of tools with laser cut foam to protect them. When i got out i worked in a truck shop for a few years and bought whatever i could that I could afford. Now I mostly but Matco as he comes weekly and has soke good deals. One time I went to buy a set of wrenches and he told me to wait 2 weeks and they will come with a full set of metric wrenches for free. I gues I'm just loyal to people who treat their customers good and are not rushing you off the truck. When ever I go into sears they just stare me down the whole time and never approach me to see if I need help. It could be my Snap-On jacket I wear though ;)

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    tool storage is not as important... Craftsman boxes are great and this $260 NAPA cart is the SAME one that everybody else sells for $1000. I've got less than $1000 in storage.
    newbox.jpg
    Exactly!

My Toolboxes are Sam's Club Stainless Steel CSPS is the company that made them. I think I have maybe $1200 in the 2 of them... :popcorn:

Jaredjosh

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2009
    Indy
    I didn't vote cause I couldn't pick more than one. My toolbox consist of both Mac and Matco tools. My purchases are usually based on what tool man shows up the most consistently and has the best value

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have the Black Craftsman pro box from our pits in the Indy 500 from 91. DB Mann motor sports.
    It is overflowing. There is also a Proto top box on the shelf/bench next to this with my
    Wooden Kennedy Machinist box from the 30's I got from Gramps estate.
    These are filled with many different brands from Snap on, Matco, Mac, Proto, Klien, Craftsman and Kobalt and so on. They all serve me well.

Tools001.jpg

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Mac guy was a Friday night beer buddy so the truck was in the driveway and after 3 or 9 beers I was on an alcohol induced shopping spree in the freaking tool truck. Dangerous.

Remington1100

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2009
    Franklin
    Not to many people seem to like Cornwell tools, but I work at a GM dealership and Cornwell tools are all I use. Better quality than Craftsman tools, cheaper than Snap-On and I dont think there is any quality diference from Snap-On. I have about $8K in Cornwell tools, and I couldnt have gotten half as many tools as I have if I would have bought them from Snap-On.

A_Brit_In_Indy

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 8, 2010
    Greenwood, Indiana
    As a professional, I have a lot of Snap-On, also Matco and some Mac (not much) I have some Facom wrenches which are awesome, some very good Hazet screwdrivers.
    Nearly all of my sockets,ratchets and extensions are Snap-On, most of my specialized tools are Hazet.
    As with anything else, buy the best you can, use the right tool, clean it when you put in away and it'll last a lifetime.

Top Bottom