• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Arickosmo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 20, 2011
    Indy
    I had a friend ask me this for months. He is new to guns in general. The last advice I gave him was, "Buy from a reputable, USA if possible company. Buy a less expensive gun for your first one. You won't know what you're missing and you'll maybe love it."

He bought a Ruger SCR9 compact I think and seems happy so far.

gunduffer

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 16, 2011
    SE INDY
    Ruger p89 doesn't fail
    pf9 lightest 9 available
    tcp.380 because you can forget your carrying it.
    44mag ruger or smith, cause it will stop anything
    22 with a 6" barrel everybody needs one

LLDJR

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    Southside/Southport
    Smallest to biggest

Ruger LCP or Kahr P380
    Kahr PM9 or PM40 = same physical size
    Kahr PM45 or Ultra Carry 2 in .45 = 3"
    Springfield GI Lightweight in .45 = 4"
    Glock 19 or 23

FN USA

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 90.9%
    10   1   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    Sellersburg
    My list in no particular order:

-S&W M&P 40
    -S&W 637 airweight
    -Keltec PF9
    -Ruger LCP
    -Spring Field EMP

I do work in retail selling firearms and have had lots of experience with all of the above. It all comes down to what YOU prefer and work well with. my $.02

Bersalover

Marksman
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Feb 14, 2011
    should I be surprised?

that my beloved Bersa Thunder 9 is not on this list?
    I am fond of the lcp but also have heard great things about the springfield xd9. Have not fully explored those options yet.

ret

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 8, 2009
    I had a PM9 with a crimson trace laser and wish I never sold it. I got hung up on capacity and went with GLOCK 26's. Also, the PM9 mags - carried loose - would always lose a round or two. They'd slide out of the mags. I have heard that is very common. As much as I want another PM9 - I know it could conceal as well as the micro 380's - like the P3AT I have.

So, One of the micro .380s - KT, Ruger...Kahr PM9...I still think the G26 is hard to beat even though its thick due to mag capacity/versatility.

Last edited by a moderator:

b66homie

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2011
    N.W.I
    I don't know how people carry some of the guns listed in some of the posts. I have a Browning High Power and I love it, but there is no way I could carry it without everyone knowing I am carrying it. I have a Walther PPS and is very easy to conceal and is also very accurate.

Last edited:

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I don't know how people carry some of the guns listed in some of the posts. I have a Browning High Power and I love it, but there is no way I could carry it without everyone knowing I am carrying it. I have a Walther PPS and is vary easy to conceal and is also very accurate.

Good belt, good holster. I am not a big guy but I don't have a problem carrying my Hi Power concealed. Look how many people prefer a full size 1911.

GNRPowdeR

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Bartholomew Co.
    glock
    s&w revolver
    another glock
    another 1911

^^^ What he says makes sence to me.

I learned on a Llama .45 what to do & not to do. Figure things out with something less expensive, then work your way up from there.

I've owned .22, .32, .380, 9mm, 40SW, .45ACP, .357, .38, .44 ... Found out that I enjoy shooting a .45 & .380 as my carry. The .380 w the right ammo is much easier to carry than a 9mm and has very similar balistics. Then for my primary carry I prefer a .45ACP... Slower, but less likely to over penitrate, IMO.

Just my :twocents:
    -GNRPowdeR

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I recommend finding ONE that fits you JUST right -- not too hot, not too cold, not too hard or too soft, too big or too small, but JUST right, and shooting the bejeezus out of it until it's like an extension of your body. Shoot it until the springs don't spring and the firing pin is too dull to pop a primer.

Exactly...my choices are: Ruger SP101 in .357mag 2.25" (since Christmas 1994) and (NIB gen 2) Glock 23 in .40 (since October 2011)!

I have smaller hands and they both fit me like a glove! I'm not really interested in nor concerned about the rest!

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Do you carry ITW or OTW?

OWB in a Don Hume pancake style holster. Gun rides high so all it takes is a loose fitting shirt or jacket. It does take a good belt though or the weight of the gun will pull your pants down and the top of the gun will move away from the body. IMO the belt is more important then the holster.

To be completely honest I don't carry a full size auto much. I have gotten lazy and much prefer an airweight Smith snubby.

Another thing to add is that it takes a little bit of time just to get used to a gun hanging on your belt. At first I was completely conscious of the fact that the gun might print or otherwise show. That will go away with time. As long as you are not doing anything illegal or in a situation where a gun is unacceptable then no harm no foul if somebody thinks they see your gun.

rlidgard

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 14, 2011
    NWI
    i agree glock 27. but i picked up a used taurus pt 140. for around 200 bucks. it actually shot very similar to the glock. and put 200 rounds in it. and not one hiccup. and believe me im not a taurus fan at all. but it felt good descent sights. holds ten rounds and basically same size as glock 27. alot cheaper and reliable. and alot better than the pf9.

glock 27
    sig p250
    taurus pt 140
    lc9
    walthers p.380.
    all under 400 and u can trust your life with them

Shawn44

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2011
    I see the Ruger LCP is quite popular among concealed carry. I also carry an LCP quite often, as it's a great weapon for any type of clothing. Big fan of it in the hotter weather.

I don't understand the need for 5 pistols, however. You're either packing a full size or sub compact, or you've got a pocket pistol or a compact because you're not dressed to carry the full size or sub.

I've either got the Ruger LCP, or my CZ40p on me, or both.

Top Bottom