• ...and so much more!
  • Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    Agreed. Not a fan of what's your bottom dollar right out of the gate.
    I sell a lot of stuff (not guns) on E-Bay and Craigslist. I get asked all the time, "What's your bottom price?" My pat answer has become, "Five dollars more than you are willing to pay." Never hear from them again. And that is as it should be.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I have a couple of handguns that I would love to trade off. I don’t post them for sale simply because I don’t want to deal with the hassle. A trade would very likely favor both parties as we are dealing with straight up tangible goods. Similarly I see stuff in the classifieds all of the time that I would be interested in purchasing but it doesn’t offset my time and gas.

Edit: I am keeping my eyes open for a J frame, P365 or Glock 43

Last edited:

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Yep,

And on that note, a vanilla gun is more likely to sell than a heavily accessorized one. So reverse what you can.

That rifle with the scope, WML, and 6 other bolt-ons isnt going to sell for what you got in it. Ever. Unless its rare and out of production.

So list the rifle for a reasonable amount, and list the accessories separately.

You're more likely to find 20 guys that would be willing to buy your Rifle and 8 individual accessories than you will find one guy willing to buy the exact combo you chose.
    I look at accessories for guns like I do at chrome and crap on Harley's and modified Jeep Wranglers. You just took highly engineered OEM components off of a vehicle and replaced them with almost always inferior quality aftermarket parts.

I'm not paying you for that. As a matter of fact, I'm paying less now that you have done those things.

I just sold my Jeep Cherokee XJ for top dollar because the work I did on it was to bring it back to factory condition. Those lifted rigs with the high dollar suspension systems and other mods bring in way less money than I got for mine.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I look at accessories for guns like I do at chrome and crap on Harley's and modified Jeep Wranglers. You just took highly engineered OEM components off of a vehicle and replaced them with almost always inferior quality aftermarket parts.

I'm not paying you for that. As a matter of fact, I'm paying less now that you have done those things.

I just sold my Jeep Cherokee XJ for top dollar because the work I did on it was to bring it back to factory condition. Those lifted rigs with the high dollar suspension systems and other mods bring in way less money than I got for mine.

I've made offers to buy part of advertised "package deals." Suggesting that selling the leftovers might actually get the seller a better deal? Sometimes offers get taken, sometimes not. Never know...

Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561

Ditto. I sold a 2011 H-D Ultraclassic in July. I listed it on Craigslist. On day 2, I got an email with phone #. I called the guy. His first question was, "What work have YOU done on it?" "None, McDaniel's H-D does everything except put air in the tires." He showed up 2 days later, test-rode it, and trailered it home to Indy (from Osceola). I got my asking price. Easy-peasy. You put up the right product, for the right price, it will sell.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Hardly ever hear that anymore, but I've always replied to that question with "asking price, thanks anyway." :) That said, when I'm selling it's rare that I'm not ready to negotiate. Maybe not right off the bat though, especially if I have truly priced to sell.

I'll frequently pass along, "thanks for the offer, I'm happy to entertain it when the add has been up for a few days." The other side of that is folks making offers who you have traded with before. I have taken offers I really didn't want to, but for the fact they have given me deals in the past.

There are ways to talk to folks without giving them a subtle insult. I always try to be delicate when making an offer. If I'm not giving them a direct "I'll take it," I'll make an offer that recent classifieds sales have transacted at or something in that range.

If the add I'm responding to has been listed for a while, that obviously has an impact on the negotiations also. I know I'm not the only "watcher," looking for the add poster to learn they need to drop the price? Sometimes they never drop the price and sometimes if I really wanted it, I should have jumped quicker. :crying: You never know...
    It's interesting to me how little negotiation goes on. I have been selling my reloading gear and at first I wasn't getting any offers at all. Then a guy made me an offer and I took it. He came back two more times and bought a lot of my stuff nicely discounted.

I don't mind if people ask for a lower price, ask me what's the least I'll take or if they shoot me a number.

I will either say "no thanks", "sure" or something to the effect that I can't go that low. Asking questions doesn't inflict any pain on me in any way.

I know that three buyers primarily have purchased most of the stuff I have for sale. This was probably due to them not being afraid to make offers. They got some nice stuff at pricing even nicer than I was asking.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Fb marketplace users can DIAF. Ridiculous amount of idiots that commit then bail.

last item was priced to move and I got ghosted 6x in 10 days before I finally got somebody willing to close the deal And show up.
    I'm beginning to think that FB Marketplace and FB in general is a sad commentary on our society.

I just shake my head when I look at Marketplace. I have sold a few items on there, but I really hate to.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I'm beginning to think that FB Marketplace and FB in general is a sad commentary on our society.

I just shake my head when I look at Marketplace. I have sold a few items on there, but I really hate to.
    I now refuse. All 3 times it has been a nightmare. I wasted more of my time than I made on the sales. Considering lost opportunity costs, it would have been cheaper just to find a dumpster.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I gave away a couch last weekend on Facebook marketplace. Even delivered it. My wife commented that the apartment complex I was going to was pretty rough. Then I pointed out that people looking for free couches with delivery Facebook probably weren’t living in a gated community.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    I now refuse. All 3 times it has been a nightmare. I wasted more of my time than I made on the sales. Considering lost opportunity costs, it would have been cheaper just to find a dumpster.
    Easily avoidable...at least for me.....never joined spacebook.

Plenty of trade deals thru here and Armslist thru the years. Some were straight up. Some multiple items for 1. Some were plus or minus cash on my end. Never left a deal unhappy

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Lol...Put in the effort?? You don't put in any more effort to trade or sell. You list and people message about your sale. 1 isn't more time spent than the other to deal with perhaps trading could me more to deal with being you get more messages with stuff you don't want.

I think he means on the back end, so to speak. If you trade, you've gotten rid of a gun and procured a new gun in a one stop shopping sort of thing. Sell a gun, you still have to go get the replacement.

I've done a few trades, sometimes straight across and sometimes with cash going either way. For me the biggest benefit is getting all the 'stuff' and getting rid of all the 'stuff' that goes with a gun. People tend to not value the extra mags, holsters, etc. very much in a cash transaction for whatever reason. Trading, though, you can swap similar holsters, magazines, spare parts, etc. as well.

So, for example. I've got a .22 magnum bolt action I've not touched in years. If I wanted, say, a .308 bolt action it would be much simpler to put up a trade for rifle, scope, ammo package for the same and then work on the ratios of ammo based on pricing, etc.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I gave away a couch last weekend on Facebook marketplace. Even delivered it. My wife commented that the apartment complex I was going to was pretty rough. Then I pointed out that people looking for free couches with delivery Facebook probably weren’t living in a gated community.
    Funny story. We had a quality Kroehler when we first got married. Got it from her parents. It was still in decent shape when the wife wanted to upgrade to a sectional.

I couldnt give it away on marketplace. Not one bite. After a week I relisted it for $20 and a family came the next day to pick it up. Was for a college grad's first apartment. She was ecstatic and very appreciative we'd sell it so cheap.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Funny story. We had a quality Kroehler when we first got married. Got it from her parents. It was still in decent shape when the wife wanted to upgrade to a sectional.

I couldnt give it away on marketplace. Not one bite. After a week I relisted it for $20 and a family came the next day to pick it up. Was for a college grad's first apartment. She was ecstatic and very appreciative we'd sell it so cheap.
    The old saying of if you want something gone, don't put a free sign on it, put it out on the curb for $10 and someone will steal it.

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    I have a couple of handguns that I would love to trade off. I don’t post them for sale simply because I don’t want to deal with the hassle. A trade would very likely favor both parties as we are dealing with straight up tangible goods. Similarly I see stuff in the classifieds all of the time that I would be interested in purchasing but it doesn’t offset my time and gas.

Edit: I am keeping my eyes open for a J frame, P365 or Glock 43
    Maybe I've had too much to drink tonight, but I'm not able to understand how you rationalize delivering (presumably free of charge) a free couch, yet decline to purchase something from the INGO classifieds because your time and gas aren't offset.

Perhaps you just need to give away your firearms and firearms related equipment, and deliver them free of charge? We need to start a conversation ... I'm o.k. with charity.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    It's interesting to me how little negotiation goes on. I have been selling my reloading gear and at first I wasn't getting any offers at all.

I don't mind if people ask for a lower price, ask me what's the least I'll take or if they shoot me a number.

I could use some reloading equipment. I need to fire the press back up this winter. But gregkl inbox is full.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Maybe I've had too much to drink tonight, but I'm not able to understand how you rationalize delivering (presumably free of charge) a free couch, yet decline to purchase something from the INGO classifieds because your time and gas aren't offset.

Perhaps you just need to give away your firearms and firearms related equipment, and deliver them free of charge? We need to start a conversation ... I'm o.k. with charity.

Local delivery. I already had the trailer hooked to the pickup and the boy was home from college. No big deal to load the couch and drive it two miles.

Seems all the guns I might be looking for in the classifieds are either in Evansville or Fort Wayne. Either of which would require hours of driving.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I could use some reloading equipment. I need to fire the press back up this winter. But gregkl inbox is full.
    I've had great luck with buying a few Dillon press's along with Dillon conversions and dies off Face Book Marketplace the last few years. Most of my offers are just brutal over most really needing the money that day.
    One gentleman ( a member here) in FW a few days after our first transaction texted me with a second load of reloading gear at even better prices.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    Any time I've ever traded on INGO it was straight up X for Y. No cash involved.

Didn't know what the other guy paid for his item, didn't care, and we never talked about what I paid for mine. We were just willing to trade X for Y.

In fact, one time, as I was getting ready for the trade meetup, I forgot I had an accessory for the item he might like (and I would no longer need) so I just threw it in the car. I didn't go bulging-eyed to him saying, "BTW, I FOUND THIS SO I NEED ANOTHER $15!!!"

Too many people looking to "win" a trade rather than make a trade in many cases.

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    Local delivery. I already had the trailer hooked to the pickup and the boy was home from college. No big deal to load the couch and drive it two miles.

Seems all the guns I might be looking for in the classifieds are either in Evansville or Fort Wayne. Either of which would require hours of driving.
    ahhh ... that makes sense.

For me, the heart wants what the heart wants. If the deal takes a bit of windshield time to accomplish, so be it. Sit back, enjoy some Deep Tracks on Sirius XM, and then enjoy the firearm (or whatever) when I get home.

Top Bottom