• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DDadams

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Jan 17, 2014
    North Indy
    Well, I am somewhat guilty of this trade only attitude lately but had to opt out for cash but was very reluctant to and only did so once I had found what I wanted for cash at the same time and had already parted with the cash for said item

My reasoning is although I'm FAR from rich - I'm actually quite poor, and make barely anything - I simply don't value cash anymore. I don't do *anything* outside of work so I save every penny I have that's extra and for that reason alone I'm doing better than probably 99.999% of people at my income level. I *should* be a paycheck to paycheck kinda person but I don't waste money on stupid things anymore. At all, really.

So I'd rather get another firearm to replace the one going away - without any days gap between. I simply have zero faith in these little paper&cotton rectangles. But I have a LOT of faith in lead, brass, polymer, aluminum, and steel.

And I always give extremely good deals on the stuff I post here, especially the custom built stuff, because I know that there'll always be something or another the next owner won't like that I did. And they're wrong for that, because I'm perfect and never make mistakes on my choices.

HCALREF

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2017
    Hendricks County
    I have traded, bought, sold guns for over 50 years. Sometimes with a gun store, dealers, private individuals, etc. Probably over 200 maybe 300 guns. I have gotten 4 or 5 problematic guns from private individuals that I lost money on, and /or was cheated. I have also gotten 4 or 5 problematic guns from gun shops that the dealers either gave my money back or I got another gun that I felt was fair. You make your choice and live with the result. Note, that out of all those guns, the majority were used with just a very few brand new.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Back to the trade discussion. I am toying with the idea of a slightly larger/smaller carry gun. My Walther PPS prints a little to much under my company logo polo shirt when I bend over. Since it is trade show season I need to be a bit more discreet. But my alternative is a Ruger LCP. Both are the best of 2006 technology and completely serviceable and reliable guns. But time marches on! So let’s look at a couple scenarios.

1) sell both guns on INGO. Probably get about $550 for both guns. (You know because the $250 custom holsters and 7 magazines aren’t worth anything). Drive all the state of Indiana burning $100 worth of gas.
    2) trade them in. Keep in mind I help a bit in a gun store and would probably get $350-$400 for both guns.
    3) just buy another gun and toss these in the safe. (Most likely scenario). I could buy a used gun from INGO but can order a new one for less then used.
    4) Trade someone these guns.

Which of these options maximizes the return for both parties?

Edit: still have my eyes peeled for a Glock 43, 43x, or Sig P365. Or a nice J frame. I gave my tuned up J frame to Dad and I loved that little gun.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Just did. But now all my messages are gone.:tantrum:
    Does this mean my site supporter status expires on my 1 year anniversary? Oops! Only 5 days left.
    Edit: Taken care of.
    For those playing the home game: if this happens to you, just renew your site supporter status. That will bump your message limits back up.

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    Back to the trade discussion. I am toying with the idea of a slightly larger/smaller carry gun. My Walther PPS prints a little to much under my company logo polo shirt when I bend over. Since it is trade show season I need to be a bit more discreet. But my alternative is a Ruger LCP. Both are the best of 2006 technology and completely serviceable and reliable guns. But time marches on! So let’s look at a couple scenarios.

1) sell both guns on INGO. Probably get about $550 for both guns. (You know because the $250 custom holsters and 7 magazines aren’t worth anything). Drive all the state of Indiana burning $100 worth of gas.
    2) trade them in. Keep in mind I help a bit in a gun store and would probably get $350-$400 for both guns.
    3) just buy another gun and toss these in the safe. (Most likely scenario). I could buy a used gun from INGO but can order a new one for less then used.
    4) Trade someone these guns.

Which of these options maximizes the return for both parties?

Edit: still have my eyes peeled for a Glock 43, 43x, or Sig P365. Or a nice J frame. I gave my tuned up J frame to Dad and I loved that little gun.
    WOW! You want the INGO community to see/predict your future? Or are you looking for a group of dysfunctional gun enthusiasts to make your life decisions for you?

How about you settle on a course of action that makes you happy based on your personal values and evaluation of the current situation? Some call it an OODA loop ... some call it personal responsibility ... some call it adulting.

No matter what you call it, all the options/scenarios that you've listed (and soooo many more) are decisions that only you can make for yourself.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Any time I've ever traded on INGO it was straight up X for Y. No cash involved.

Didn't know what the other guy paid for his item, didn't care, and we never talked about what I paid for mine. We were just willing to trade X for Y.

In fact, one time, as I was getting ready for the trade meetup, I forgot I had an accessory for the item he might like (and I would no longer need) so I just threw it in the car. I didn't go bulging-eyed to him saying, "BTW, I FOUND THIS SO I NEED ANOTHER $15!!!"

Too many people looking to "win" a trade rather than make a trade in many cases.
    same here. My last trade we never even talked money difference. He had something he no longer wanted and liked what I had. We were both happy.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    WOW! You want the INGO community to see/predict your future? Or are you looking for a group of dysfunctional gun enthusiasts to make your life decisions for you?

How about you settle on a course of action that makes you happy based on your personal values and evaluation of the current situation? Some call it an OODA loop ... some call it personal responsibility ... some call it adulting.

No matter what you call it, all the options/scenarios that you've listed (and soooo many more) are decisions that only you can make for yourself.

I really can’t figure this response out. The question is why would someone look for a trade and not a sale in the classifieds. I laid out some scenarios. Basically, for some people it makes more sense from a financial and ease standpoint to simply make a trade. It might not make sense to sell.

In my case if I want a new gun bad enough I would just go to the gun shop and buy one. But for now I am currently carrying the same gun I have carried since about 2013. I suppose my considering something different after 10 years might be an example of not anticipating future technology?

I did straight out swap a gun with another INGOer about 2 years ago. Neither of us really had to trade but wanted what the other had. I think it was equitable for both of us. Otherwise I would have simply bought a new gun for my sons 18th birthday.

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    I really can’t figure this response out. The question is why would someone look for a trade and not a sale in the classifieds. I laid out some scenarios. Basically, for some people it makes more sense from a financial and ease standpoint to simply make a trade. It might not make sense to sell.

In my case if I want a new gun bad enough I would just go to the gun shop and buy one. But for now I am currently carrying the same gun I have carried since about 2013. I suppose my considering something different after 10 years might be an example of not anticipating future technology?

I did straight out swap a gun with another INGOer about 2 years ago. Neither of us really had to trade but wanted what the other had. I think it was equitable for both of us. Otherwise I would have simply bought a new gun for my sons 18th birthday.
    My apologies if I misread your post ... thought it was more personal than you explain above.

Especially the question ... "Which of these options maximizes the return for both parties?" ... this is what caught my attention.

What maximizes the return for both parties can only be determined by the parties involved. Likewise, if somebody is to even start down the sell/trade path, they must first decide for themselves that is what they want to do.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    My apologies if I misread your post ... thought it was more personal than you explain above.

Especially the question ... "Which of these options maximizes the return for both parties?" ... this is what caught my attention.

What maximizes the return for both parties can only be determined by the parties involved. Likewise, if somebody is to even start down the sell/trade path, they must first decide for themselves that is what they want to do.

It was personal only from the standpoint of it’s a situation that could apply to me. I was trying to give a real world example. I haven’t posted any WTT ads in the classifieds and haven’t ordered any new pistols. But if guns were to hit the classifieds they would be as want to trade.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.

In all fairness there have been others in this thread with the "holier than thou" attitude towards trades. The usual suspects and all, it's easy to get them confused.

IndyLongColt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    Morgan County
    Hmm, trade or sell/buy doesn't matter much to me....if both parties are happy, it worked...but valuing your items higher in trade value vs cash value is stupid..I mean if YOUR gun is worth more $$ as trade, then isn't mine as well?...so it's a wash...

Value is value. It's the jackwagons that think they're items are worth more in trade but mine isn't that has me scratching my head...

Top Bottom