• ...and so much more!
  • gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    SingleSix and I have shot trap at MCF&G for years. We shoot a very casual program there on Thursday nights and have seen everything from short barreled cylinder choked (no choke) riot style shotguns to $25,000 Trap guns, and guess what?, they all break targets. Take what you have with a few boxes of cheap white box Winchester 12 gauge 'heavy lead load' #8 or #7 1/2s and go have some fun. If you want to slip down to MCF&G on a Thursday evening you will find many people more than willing to get you started on the right foot and help you break some clays.

MCFG - Indy Range Official Website - Shotgun, Pistol, Shooting Range

This is so true. That is where I got started and is the biggest thing I miss since I moved to Bloomington a few years ago. I used to live in Lafayette and work in Crawfordsville. I would leave work and drive to MCFG, shoot a few rounds and drive home.

My justification was that it was the same distance from work to MCFG as it was to home. I didn't count the travel from Indy to Lafayette afterwards.:)

jimbo-indy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    N.W. Indy
    For those who want an alternate schedule, try Brownsburg Conservation Club. Open for trap on Tuesday afternoons and all day Saturday. Non-members welcome. $5.00 per round for non-members. This is a dedicated trap range.
    www.bbcclub.org

Last edited:

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    This is so true. That is where I got started and is the biggest thing I miss since I moved to Bloomington a few years ago. I used to live in Lafayette and work in Crawfordsville. I would leave work and drive to MCFG, shoot a few rounds and drive home.

My justification was that it was the same distance from work to MCFG as it was to home. I didn't count the travel from Indy to Lafayette afterwards.:)
    That's some Graduate Level Stuff :):

PGRChaplain

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Waynedale (FT Wayne)
    I shot Trap years ago, Good Times! Speaking of Old Guys reminded me of Ralph Braden at the Winchester Gun Club in Ft Wayne. He was the Resident Pro, and was always eager to help new shooters as well as the Old Hands, LOL! The Club has been gone many years, but I drive by and relive my youth.

Noday345

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 8, 2013
    Plymouth
    I am pricing semi auto 12 gauges for sporting clays and have located a beretta 390 for 500$. The stock is cracked but otherwise is in decent shape. First of all is that a good buy and second, where would be a good place to find replacement stocks?

510picker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2017
    Martinsville
    Since I am just beginning trap, which choke would be best full, modified or improved?

Expert trap shooters use full choke, but I would suggest using the modified choke when you are just starting out. Put the improved choke in when you move over to the skeet range. Just be warned, clay shooting sports are addictive!!

510picker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2017
    Martinsville
    I am pricing semi auto 12 gauges for sporting clays and have located a beretta 390 for 500$. The stock is cracked but otherwise is in decent shape. First of all is that a good buy and second, where would be a good place to find replacement stocks?

I'm neither up to date on pricing for a Beretta 390 nor am I aware of your financial situation, but for me, I would put the $500 towards a new Beretta A300. For around $650, you will have an excellent gun that is very versatile. It will serve you well in all clay shooting sports.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    Assuming this is a wood stock, 150 - 450 depending on grade of wood, also you may want to replace the forearm to match the butt stock. So up to $900 to make the gun whole (on the high side).

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Ok so im a member of my local issac waltons for the purpose of the indoor handgun range. Im thinking i would like to give trap shooting a go and get the most out of my membership. My question is i have a remington 1100 semi auto with 30" smooth bore barrel. Can i get away with using this shotgun or will i have to buy another with removable choke tubes? If i need a new shotgun id probably have to put off this venture for awhile. Thanks INGO in advance for the replies

Some of that question depends on your shooting style, if you jump the birds quickly after leaving the trap house or it you let them crest further away.

At a trap shoot a man was switching around his chokes and joking with friends around the tail gate of his truck. He lost track of time and his name was called for his next round of 16 yard singles. Grabbing his gun and running to the line, he proceeded to break all 25 in a row. Upon returning to his truck, he discovered that he had never re installed his choke tubes. Cylinder bore performance. (Of course the mess was the threads were now full of plastic from the wads). He was a man that shot fast, not letting the birds reach the crest.

I let the birds out a little further, but have done well at singles with a skeet barrel gun that is only .005" choke constriction. For comparison, a modified choke is about .020" and a full is about .030", depending on the brand. In my normal trap gun I run .025" and .035" chokes that perform well out to the 27 yard handicap line and the back fence.

Last edited:

indyrun

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 24, 2009
    Plainfield, IN
    Expert trap shooters use full choke, but I would suggest using the modified choke when you are just starting out. Put the improved choke in when you move over to the skeet range. Just be warned, clay shooting sports are addictive!!

There is more than one way to look at this. New shooters of trap tend to take more time to find and shoot at the target, hence a full choke would give them the same pellet spread as a more experienced shooter using an improved mod. choke. Most targets are broken 20 - 30 yards from the house. Experienced and young shooters with quick reflexes tend to be at the shorter end of that range while new shooters tend to be at the longer end of that range. A lot of great shooters use Imp. Mod. at the 16 yard line and Full at Handicap distances. But the bottom line is any choke, Mod., Imp. Mod., Full, Extra Full will break the target if the gun is pointed at the right place when you shoot the target. Don't worry so much about the choke in your gun, pay more attention to leading the target properly for the angle the target is and knowing how high your gun shoots, weather you cover the target, see it just above the barrel, or shoot under the target. And you can learn this with one or two shots at a pattern board available at most clubs. Bottom line is, Just Have Fun and breaking more and more targets will follow.

Last edited:

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    There is more than one way to look at this. New shooters of trap tend to take more time to find and shoot at the target, hence a full choke would give them the same pellet spread as a more experienced shooter using an improved mod. choke. Most targets are broken 20 - 30 yards from the house. Experienced and young shooters with quick reflexes tend to be at the shorter end of that range while new shooters tend to be at the longer end of that range. A lot of great shooters use Imp. Mod. at the 16 yard line and Full at Handicap distances. But the bottom line is any choke, Mod., Imp. Mod., Full, Extra Full will break the target if the gun is pointed at the right place when you shoot the target. Don't worry so much about the choke in your gun, pay more attention to leading the target properly for the angle the target is and knowing how high your gun shoots, weather you cover the target, see it just above the barrel, or shoot under the target. And you can learn this with one or two shots at a pattern board available at most clubs. Bottom line is, Just Have Fun and breaking more and more targets will follow.

+1, great advice

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Well i still haven't had a chance to try it out. The nice weekends ive been to busy with yard work and have had quite a few sidejobs on the weekends too. Was hoping to give it a go today as they had a trap clinic and i was there with my daughter for the youth archery. Unfortunately rained out. Hopefully soon I'll be able to give it a shot

indyrun

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 24, 2009
    Plainfield, IN
    Well i still haven't had a chance to try it out. The nice weekends ive been to busy with yard work and have had quite a few sidejobs on the weekends too. Was hoping to give it a go today as they had a trap clinic and i was there with my daughter for the youth archery. Unfortunately rained out. Hopefully soon I'll be able to give it a shot

MCF&G shoots trap on Thursday evenings. We start about 5 PM until everyone has had enough or 10 PM, whichever comes first.

Top Bottom