• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    I know how I like my triggers to feel on handguns and rifles but on shotguns I'm not so sure especially on pumps and autos.
    Singles and doubles with a 4# ish, crisp trigger seems just fine, but what seems best for the pumps and autos?

Many pumps and autos have a mushie feeling with take up.
    I've heard some say they just slap the trigger, your guess is as good as mine as to what that means but how do you like your triggers?

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Triggers on handguns and hunting rifles are around 2 - 2.5 pounds.

For shotguns, at most I polish just to smooth it out if needed. Smoothness seems more an issue than weight for bird hunting. JMO, YMMV

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    This Mossberg 500a that I just purchased has a solid 5# pull with some take-up and is smooth enough, I didn't check for over travel but I think it's good enough to leave alone.
    I just wanted opinions from other shotgunners.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    You only hear about it if it's terrible.
    I'll admit that prior to joining INGO, I never gave triggers a second thought. I always just figured "you get what you get". I've still never really done anything to any of mine, with the exception of adjusting the pull on the two guns I have where that's an option, or changing out springs on a couple of Polish P-64s to lighten the pull.

Trevelayan

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 11, 2014
    Putnam Co.
    I've never felt a "nice" trigger on a shotgun, every one I've fired has been OK to not good. Even on my buddy's TS12 it's not fantastic.

That being said, I'm not expecting match grade triggers on my shotguns so it doesnt bother me much.

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    I was pleasantly surprised at how quick and easy it was to access the trigger group, it took all of 10 seconds or less. I lubricated everything and found it to be quite acceptable feel.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Few shotgun triggers will be confused for a good rifle trigger but they don't need to. As long as the shotgun trigger is not overly long, overly heavy, or gritty it should work fine for wing shooting.

Persimmon pulp ceases to be terrible when it's spiced and baked into persimmon pudding... and topped with whipped cream topped with a proper persimmon pudding icing/glaze. But I wouldn't recommend that for a shotgun trigger.
    Fixed it for you. ;)

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    Years ago my neighbor was making hay and had a hired worker from Kentucky. For lunch his wife served persimmon pudding as dessert.

The man from Kentucky asked, "What is this?"

When he was told it was persimmon pudding he replied, "Heck, down home we feed the persimmons to the possums and eat the possums..."

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I saw a good video clip this past week discussing trigger pull weight on shotguns. The guy in the video series is a former Olympic gold medalist and he says that even on his target double guns the first barrel anywhere from 3.5-4.5lbs is common and the pull for the second barrel is usually a good lb or so more but he hardly ever even noticed.
    His opinion seems that trigger creep or sloppiness is probably more of an issue

Top Bottom