• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    I've never felt a "nice" trigger on a shotgun, every one I've fired has been OK to not good. Even on my buddy's TS12 it's not fantastic.

That being said, I'm not expecting match grade triggers on my shotguns so it doesnt bother me much.

Try a benelli M4 sometime.

Pretty much exactly what I want on a shotgun. It's not light but it's sharp and crisp.
    Most pump guns I've shot have had kind of a mushy weird break.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Triggers are pretty irrelevant on shotguns. I did the whole Timney trigger thing when I was a beginner trapshooter, multiple Ljutics, trigger mechanisms that promised "faster lock times," etc., etc. I eventually developed a flinching problem, then a bit later, discovered it was because of the gun going off just a hair too soon. I would take up the slack, call pull, then every once in a while, just as I was catching up to the back of the target, the gun would fire and I'd be just behind. My brain saw this, and eventually developed the flinch as a way to prevent the gun from going off too soon. I completely fixed this problem by simply stopping taking up the slack before calling pull. I put the finger completely off the trigger, like many good shooters including Leo Harrison used to do, and slapped it from a distance, so to speak. My brain figured out the timing, the gun never went off too soon, and the flinch went away, without any release triggers or anything.

After that, I realized triggers don't matter too much in wingshooting. As long as it's safe, reliable, resets for the second shot and the lock time isn't massively (and I mean _massively_) different from what you shot before, you have a good trigger.*

*(Unless it's a !@#$% Perazzi leaf-spring unit and you have to carry a spare trigger assembly in your bag...THEN you have a "bad" trigger!)

ancjr

1 Kings 18:17-18 KJV
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2021
    Washington County
    My preference in general is a heavier trigger on a firearm with heavier recoil. Never want sloppiness, sponginess or excessive travel. Just passed on a new shotgun a few weeks ago that had way way too much travel.

Last edited:

Squirt239

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    North of Brownsburg
    Recently, I had a gentleman bring a Beretta 1301 COMP pro into the shop for a trigger job. I expected much better from a higher end shotgun. LONG take up, mushy break, and long reset.

When I took the internals apart, machining marks were still clearly visible on the working parts. After filing, polishing and fitting, I got it down to a crisp 3.5.

That being said, if I were the owner of the weapon, and I had to pay someone to get it "right," I would have second thoughts about spending that kind of money on said shotgun in the first place.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Recently, I had a gentleman bring a Beretta 1301 COMP pro into the shop for a trigger job. I expected much better from a higher end shotgun. LONG take up, mushy break, and long reset.

When I took the internals apart, machining marks were still clearly visible on the working parts. After filing, polishing and fitting, I got it down to a crisp 3.5.

That being said, if I were the owner of the weapon, and I had to pay someone to get it "right," I would have second thoughts about spending that kind of money on said shotgun in the first place.

Well in all fairness, how a trigger feels (creep, break etc) is a matter of personal preference and what an individual finds acceptable. Clearly some people don't mind sloppy triggers just look at just about any Taurus handgun lol. Sure, one should have higher expectations for a higher end gun. But it's not surprising either

Top Bottom