• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Scott58

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2022
    NW indiana
    Carried a .45acp my whole life (4"). Never thought about stopping power. Now that I'm older I've got wrist issues 1\2 a box of .45 will swell my wrist to the point of ice bucket and brace. In the last 2 years got into 9mm and recently .380. Got a rock island 1911 (5" 9mm). Which I like at the range, but its like carrying a small dog. Got the CZ P10c. Nice gun and works well, but I like 1911's. Then came the Browning 1911 .380. In every respect perfect. I can shoot this thing all day with no wrist issues and it disappears in my clothes. Only thing I can shoot faster and more accurately is my sr22. At the end of the day its still a .380. That part bugs me a bit. Considering trying a Kimber pro carry (4" 9mm). Am I over thinking this?

Last edited:

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    You might consider a ported PSA Dagger or a Glock 19C. I find both to have a very mild recoil compared to any other 9 I've shot, I carry one every day. Looks like you are North, if you were closer I would put you behind one to see if it's what you're looking for.

gassprint1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI
    I thought about the 380acp for awhile in the bersa thunder 380 plus. Nice little pocket carry and double stack is why and the reviews. I watched several ballistics videos where the rounds penatrated atleast 5", so i would think that was more than enough to stop a perp at center mass areas. After looking on cost of it being more than 9mm, i changed my mind and i didn't really want to stock a 5 or 6th type of ammo.

Scott58

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2022
    NW indiana
    You might consider a ported PSA Dagger or a Glock 19C. I find both to have a very mild recoil compared to any other 9 I've shot, I carry one every day. Looks like you are North, if you were closer I would put you behind one to see if it's what you're looking for.
    My CZ is close to that I'm thinking. I don't think I'm going to buy anymore polymer pistols. That's why I'm leaning toward Kimber. Springfield Ronin is also something I'm considering.

Born2vette

Norm, Team woodworker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jul 25, 2020
    Westfield
    If you liked the P10c but want an all metal hammer fired pistol have you ever shot a CZ PCR or 75 Compact? Heavier that the P 10c but close in size, 15+1 9mm, very reliable. The PCR is a DA/SA de-cocker which I carry hammer down with DA first shot but the Compact can be carried condition 1.

Just a thought and I am sure there are good folks here in your area that would be willing to meet and let you try a few.

Kdf101

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    Sullivan County
    I keep thinking that also. This Browning likes Remington Ultimate Defense ammo the best (102gr). Out of 5 different brands I've tried. The most expensive of course, but its what I keep in it and it may be all I ever need.
    To quote top gun “maverick”, “It‘s the man, not the machine.” From a movie, yes; but still relevant.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I keep thinking that also. This Browning likes Remington Ultimate Defense ammo the best (102gr). Out of 5 different brands I've tried. The most expensive of course, but its what I keep in it and it may be all I ever need.
    If you like the Browning carry it.
    Just research what 380acp HP actually work.
    A huge majority do not and act like a FMJ which is okay for penetration. However, you would be paying premium $ for fmj performance.
    Also take it to a gunsmith and have him work it over to run like a sewing machine. It's well worth it.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Changes in modern bullet, powder, technology have come a long way from your dad’s .380. JMO
    I've never really been a big 'fan' of .380 acp as a primary concealed carry caliber, but this past year I took to carrying a Ruger LCP .380 as a pocket pistol while at work...it gives me complete concealability, even while wearing shorts, without the possibility of it being detected or exposed, yet gives me the feeling of 'something is better than nothing' rather than have the feeling like I was 'naked', 'exposed', or 'vulnerable' during the day!

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    I've never really been a big 'fan' of .380 acp as a primary concealed carry caliber, but this past year I took to carrying a Ruger LCP .380 as a pocket pistol while at work...it gives me complete concealability, even while wearing shorts, without the possibility of it being detected or exposed, yet gives me the feeling of 'something is better than nothing' rather than have the feeling like I was 'naked', 'exposed', or 'vulnerable' during the day!
    A lot of guys did this very thing when Mitch Daniel’s took office. When he implemented his no guns in the offices policy. A few in my office went a step further and went to the NAA Mini. That was a bridge too far for me personally. FMD

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    Check out the Sig P938. I think it offers what you want with a small 1911 style package in 9mm. The performance benefits of 9mm over .380 are real, and the price is also a lot more appealing. If you shoot it enough the gun will pretty quickly pay for itself compared to continuing to buy .380 for your Browning.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    I’ve got a Taurus tcp in my back pocket, when I was working at my last job, a person made the comment (in an email!) “my husband said he’d shoot you (the owner) in the head but you’re not worth the bullet!” And after that I was told I could carry a gun, I remembered I’d bought a Taurus tcp off a guy for 60 bucks (with a pocket holster 3 mags and 3 boxes of ammo!) he had never fired it but read a review that it was a bad gun, so he sold it to me!…so I starting carrying it.

I left that job and started a new job, exactly 1/2 way between a homeless shelter and a homeless clinic, two blocks from a police station and the federal courthouse, on my first day, as I was leaving I saw the crackhead Who used to live next door to me, who’s was foreclosed on while he was in jail (who was squatting in it till he was forcefully evicted!)…I made a comment about carrying a gun (on my second day there), a lady said “they don’t care if you carry” then she rattled off a few names (including one of the owners) and said “they all carry”, after the owner knew me a little better (and knew I shot a lot) he asked me “what do you carry?”

So the Taurus tcp is still what’s in my back pocket every day I’m at work!

J Galt

Expert
    Rating - 93.3%
    14   1   0
    Mar 21, 2020
    Indianapolis
    Carried a .45acp my whole life (4"). Never thought about stopping power. Now that I'm older I've got wrist issues 1\2 a box of .45 will swell my wrist to the point of ice bucket and brace. In the last 2 years got into 9mm and recently .380. Got a rock island 1911 (5" 9mm). Which I like at the range, but its like carrying a small dog. Got the CZ P10c. Nice gun and works well, but I like 1911's. Then came the Browning 1911 .380. In every respect perfect. I can shoot this thing all day with no wrist issues and it disappears in my clothes. Only thing I can shoot faster and more accurately is my sr22. At the end of the day its still a .380. That part bugs me a bit. Considering trying a Kimber pro carry (4" 9mm). Am I over thinking this?

Yes, you are overthinking it. If you are comfortable (proficient) with that style of pistol and will carry, and train, with it, then carry it. You have a physical limitation. It sucks, but it happens.

To reverse perspective, if you were going to try and stop someone committing violence, would your willingness to act be affected if you knew he was using a 9mm, .45 acp, or .380?

In other words if you were unarmed (for whatever reason) and there was a school shooter, would your decision to act be affected by knowing he was using a 9mm, .45 acp, or .380? Does knowing his caliber make you less hesitant if it's a smaller caliber?

[It's an internet hypothetical. Don't get wrapped up in why someone is not armed or other irrelevant details. :nono:]

Top Bottom