• ...and so much more!
  • Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    As an aside to pocket .380’s. It became an issue to me some 40+ years ago. IF! Big if, you wear jeans every day as I did in those days. After a period of time, your pocket gun will print regardless of how often you replace your pocket holster. I bought 5 pairs of jeans each spring, by summers end my back pocket showed a very well defined outline of my belly gun. Fellows climbing behind me on the scaffold would ask me what kind of gun was in my back pocket? It happened several times.

I told this in case it may be helpful to some in their decision making process.

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    When I bike or otherwise need more concealment than my 1911 can offer, I use an LCP II loaded with Hornady 90gr XTP. They expand and penetrate deeply enough, about 14".

I'd rather have the .45, but it's extremely weighty and big and not always practical.

Attachments

• IMG_20231104_125357009~2.jpg
      IMG_20231104_125357009~2.jpg
      957.8 KB · Views: 5
    Last edited:

Trebor657

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 1, 2017
    Fort wayne
    Alot of folks are hung up on caliber and stopping power....does the 9mm have more stopping power than the .380...sure it does. The key here is shot placement whether it be .380, 9mm or something else.....I sure wouldn't want to be standing in front of the .380 when fired....carry what you are comfortable with and what you can shoot proficiently, no matter the caliber....shot placement not caliber is the key here IMO....

Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    Alot of folks are hung up on caliber and stopping power....does the 9mm have more stopping power than the .380...sure it does. The key here is shot placement whether it be .380, 9mm or something else.....I sure wouldn't want to be standing in front of the .380 when fired....carry what you are comfortable with and what you can shoot proficiently, no matter the caliber....shot placement not caliber is the key here IMO....
    That's a big 10-4, good buddy. Where you put 'em matters way more than how big they are. My summer carry is a Keltech P32. It is completely reliable, and weighs 6oz. It ain't a 50 yard range gun, but I have utter faith in at GTFOM distances.

StatlRed

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2021
    Indy Southsider--Johnson County
    I carry a Sig 365-380 and love shooting it. I think ammo choice is key in .380 auto for self-defense. Federal has an HST hollow point at 99 grains that has some decent stopping power. May not be 9mm or .45, but it appears by ballistic tests that it will do the job.

My opinion is carry what you are comfortable with and can shoot well. Multiple, well-placed shots are better.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Carried a .45acp my whole life (4"). Never thought about stopping power. Now that I'm older I've got wrist issues 1\2 a box of .45 will swell my wrist to the point of ice bucket and brace. In the last 2 years got into 9mm and recently .380. Got a rock island 1911 (5" 9mm). Which I like at the range, but its like carrying a small dog. Got the CZ P10c. Nice gun and works well, but I like 1911's. Then came the Browning 1911 .380. In every respect perfect. I can shoot this thing all day with no wrist issues and it disappears in my clothes. Only thing I can shoot faster and more accurately is my sr22. At the end of the day its still a .380. That part bugs me a bit. Considering trying a Kimber pro carry (4" 9mm). Am I over thinking this?
    The .380 has the penetration of an arrow. Plenty of people and animals killed with arrows. The .380 is my backup.

Scott58

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2022
    NW indiana
    The .380 has the penetration of an arrow. Plenty of people and animals killed with arrows. The .380 is my backup.
    Yeah, I think it will be sufficient. Mine has a longer barrel then most .380's I see and it is extremely accurate out to 25 yards. Very comfortable to hold, shoot and carry. Although I hate to talk myself out of buying a Kimber. Lol

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    That's a big 10-4, good buddy. Where you put 'em matters way more than how big they are. My summer carry is a Keltech P32. It is completely reliable, and weighs 6oz. It ain't a 50 yard range gun, but I have utter faith in at GTFOM distances.
    Since it's said all handgun calibers are the same 22lr to 50AE in "stopping power".
    The main thing is penetration and shot placement.
    So if a 22lr meets or exceeds minimum penetration then it can be said all one needs is shot placement. So that means 22lr is viable self defense caliber in a handgun.
    Caliber wars are So petty. :lmfao:

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Since it's said all handgun calibers are the same 22lr to 50AE in "stopping power".
    The main thing is penetration and shot placement.
    So if a 22lr meets or exceeds minimum penetration then it can be said all one needs is shot placement. So that means 22lr is viable self defense caliber in a handgun.
    Caliber wars are So petty. :lmfao:
    OK, tell that to the Boers in S. Africa :stickpoke:

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    OK, tell that to the Boers in S. Africa :stickpoke:
    I guess you haven't heard all handgun calibers are the same. It's scientifically based opinion now. 22lr, 38 special, 9mm, 45acp, 10mm, 44mag etc. Just passing on what I've learned from the internet and here in INGO.
    Shot placement is key not caliber.

Scott58

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2022
    NW indiana
    I guess you haven't heard all handgun calibers are the same. It's scientifically based opinion now. 22lr, 38 special, 9mm, 45acp, 10mm, 44mag etc. Just passing on what I've learned from the internet and here in INGO.
    Shot placement is key not caliber.
    I think I'd like to read the science on this. Although I certainly don't disagree on shot placement my first thought was energy when I read that statement.

Bugzilla

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2021
    DeMotte

Reactions: Mij
    Top Bottom