• ...and so much more!
  • Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    I guess you haven't heard all handgun calibers are the same. It's scientifically based opinion now. 22lr, 38 special, 9mm, 45acp, 10mm, 44mag etc. Just passing on what I've learned from the internet and here in INGO.
    Shot placement is key not caliber.
    Nope, no issues, I assumed your post was implied purple. I certainly meant for my post to be implied purple.

Hey, I read it on the internet it must be true. :lmfao:

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I think I'd like to read the science on this. Although I certainly don't disagree on shot placement my first thought was energy when I read that statement.
    Start reading BehindBlueI's posts here on INGO for starters. You can kill a grizzly bear with a 22lr with proper shot placement.

Oh and I'm not disputing the facts that BehindBlueI's provides. I'm making the case thar says 9mm is the do all end all self defense caliber is wrong if a low power caliber can do it as well.

Last edited:

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Nope, no issues, I assumed your post was implied purple. I certainly meant for my post to be implied purple.

Hey, I read it on the internet it must be true. :lmfao:
    It is mostly. The 9mm is as good as or better crowd use the science that says all handgun calibers are basically the same. So why not drop down to 22lr?

Reactions: Mij

gryphnrider

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 29, 2016
    Kendallville
    My 2 cents here are that I like .380 the 9mm tiny guns are definitely a get used to kinda thing and the 380 is a better handling round. The main issue is practice makes perfect though. And with 9mm prices rising to almost the same as 380 who knows. I do know that the p365 comes with a 380 variety now and that is intriguing

Destro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    The Khyber Pass
    It is mostly. The 9mm is as good as or better crowd use the science that says all handgun calibers are basically the same. So why not drop down to 22lr?
    I think it is probably more accurate to say:
    "Modern 9mm ammunition typically meets FBI testing protocol for penetration and expansion. This was not previously the case. As such, returns diminish when you begin to consider calibers outside of 9mm for self defense and personal protection"

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I think it is probably more accurate to say:
    "Modern 9mm ammunition typically meets FBI testing protocol for penetration and expansion. This was not previously the case. As such, returns diminish when you begin to consider calibers outside of 9mm for self defense and personal protection"
    Not all 9mm does only a few. Many do not buy that for self defense.
    Remember it's been said that all handgun calibers are basically the same when it comes to the human body. So that being the case a 22lr, 32acp etc that has a load that meets or exceeds the recommended minimum penetration should be good to go.
    HP are to stop the bullet from over penetration and heading to an innocent individual. So if a low power caliber can meet the penetration minimum they should be good to go as well. So long as they do not over penetrate. Then of course shot placement is key.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    "Modern 9mm ammunition 'typically' meets FBI testing protocol for penetration and expansion. This was not previously the case. As such, returns diminish when you begin to consider calibers outside of 9mm for self-defense and personal-protection"
    'Typically'...is the key term, 'but not always' is probably a better definition.

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    I carry a .380 (Glock 42) most days when I am at work. When not at work, I typically have a Glock 43 or 43X on me. I am by myself at work alot in a smallish building, so engagement distances would be quite short. That said, with my .380, I know I am probably going to have to shoot more than once to finish the fight. I have gotten into the GSSF 250 Club twice with this pistol and have complete faith in it after carrying it for over 7 years and sending a few thousand rounds downrange.

sharpetop

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    Yeah, I think it will be sufficient. Mine has a longer barrel then most .380's I see and it is extremely accurate out to 25 yards. Very comfortable to hold, shoot and carry. Although I hate to talk myself out of buying a Kimber. Lol
    That longer barrel will do nothing but help the performance of the .380! If it's comfortable for you and you shoot it well it's a great choice!

walt o

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2008
    Hammond
    One big advantage with the Browning is it a 1911 pattern gun ,the barrel locks to the slide {not a blow back }so recoil is lighter .you can buy a 22cal upper and practice with it on your 380 frame the 22 upper is a blow back and duplicates the recoil of the. 380 .Buffalo bore + +p ammo.works well in the browning with no ill effects to rhe gun . have 1 with the 22 cal upper and it shoots with less recoil than my PPK/S or the Tisas faith or the HS/C Mauser that i have.
    Yhe ponly gun in .380 that comes close is the Colt 1908 shameless which i also shoot.

chadm

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 30, 2016
    West side of Indy
    Carried a .45acp my whole life (4"). Never thought about stopping power. Now that I'm older I've got wrist issues 1\2 a box of .45 will swell my wrist to the point of ice bucket and brace. In the last 2 years got into 9mm and recently .380. Got a rock island 1911 (5" 9mm). Which I like at the range, but its like carrying a small dog. Got the CZ P10c. Nice gun and works well, but I like 1911's. Then came the Browning 1911 .380. In every respect perfect. I can shoot this thing all day with no wrist issues and it disappears in my clothes. Only thing I can shoot faster and more accurately is my sr22. At the end of the day its still a .380. That part bugs me a bit. Considering trying a Kimber pro carry (4" 9mm). Am I over thinking this?
    For your situation, a 380 sounds perfect, since it doesn’t affect you like 45 and 9 do. I have always jokingly stayed away from 380, since it costs more per round than 9mm and is less effective, but if I was you, I’d carry it everyday and not care what anyone else thought.

I think it is smart to look at 9mm in different configurations, but I think enough 380s put into the right places will stop about anyone (much like any other caliber in the right spot).

To be honest, if all I could carry was your Ruger SR22, then that’s what I’d carry. Putting rounds in all the right places and staying in the fight are keys to winning and walking away.

chadm

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 30, 2016
    West side of Indy
    Start reading BehindBlueI's posts here on INGO for starters. You can kill a grizzly bear with a 22lr with proper shot placement.

Oh and I'm not disputing the facts that BehindBlueI's provides. I'm making the case thar says 9mm is the do all end all self defense caliber is wrong if a low power caliber can do it as well.
    While not ideal, if you put multiple rounds of 22lr into the head of anything (bear, mammal, boar, etc…) it is going to go down and not get back up. Again, this isn’t the most humane answer or the best answer, but if it all you have, it will get the job accomplished.

Top Bottom