• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Just wondering if market conditions are such that 22 LR would ever get to to point where you would need to justify expense of buying it?

Although like many other calibers it has gone up but not to the same level increase as 9mm etc.

I really enjoy plinking with my Henry Lever Action. Also the Mini 14 and 30 enjoyable as well, but as cost goes up I tend to shot less.

Of late I am not doing my part to control the population of Tin Cans. Tomato soup, black beans, coffee, refried beans, corn. Yup the can population is getting to be an issue. And something must be done now.

So in response I have decided that a return to frequent plinking is in order. So I would really like to add another 22 to the safe. Right now I am looking at the obvious choices, a 10/22 or possibly a AR variant chambered in 22lr. Honestly it is not really going to have a purpose other than range fun, so there is that. Ideally I want to put a middle of the road red dot on it and plink away.

I have heard good things about the Smith and Wesson AR version, and of course the 10/22 has been around for a long time. If you were in the market for 22 for a range plinker which would you choose?

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Just wondering if market conditions are such that 22 LR would ever get to to point where you would need to justify expense of buying it?

Although like many other calibers it has gone up but not to the same level increase as 9mm etc.

I really enjoy plinking with my Henry Lever Action. Also the Mini 14 and 30 enjoyable as well, but as cost goes up I tend to shot less.

Of late I am not doing my part to control the population of Tin Cans. Tomato soup, black beans, coffee, refried beans, corn. Yup the can population is getting to be an issue. And something must be done now.

So in response I have decided that a return to frequent plinking is in order. So I would really like to add another 22 to the safe. Right now I am looking at the obvious choices, a 10/22 or possibly a AR variant chambered in 22lr. Honestly it is not really going to have a purpose other than range fun, so there is that. Ideally I want to put a middle of the road red dot on it and plink away.

I have heard good things about the Smith and Wesson AR version, and of course the 10/22 has been around for a long time. If you were in the market for 22 for a range plinker which would you choose?
    My tastes run toward the older .22's. Either old bolt guns, pumps or semi-autos. Old Mossbergs, Remingtons, etc. are my favorites. Some lend themselves to optics but a lot don't. It sounds like you favor the newer ones, but I wouldn't rule out the old classics. They can be a lot of fun even with irons, and many of them are just as accurate if not moreso than modern offerings.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I'm waiting on tye new Winchester 22 Xpert bolt action to come out. It uses 10/22 magazines. It has its own version of the 10/22 magazines also.

Just for plunking. It has nice features, weighs 4.5lbs, and an MSRP of $320

1654353112636.png

Last edited:

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    My tastes run toward the older .22's. Either old bolt guns, pumps or semi-autos. Old Mossbergs, Remingtons, etc. are my favorites. Some lend themselves to optics but a lot don't. It sounds like you favor the newer ones, but I wouldn't rule out the old classics. They can be a lot of fun even with irons, and many of them are just as accurate if not moreso than modern offerings.
    Yeah love my Henry although it’s newer it’s awesome. It has a bullseye sight on it from Midway and with just Iron sights it will reach out a long way with surprising accuracy.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    I'm waiting on tye new Winchester 22 Xpert bolt action to come out. It uses 10/22 magazines. It has its own version of the 10/22 magazines also.

Just for plunking. It has nice features, weighs 4.5lbs, and an MSRP of $320
    Never priced the 10/22 magazines. Are they pricey like the Mini Magazines?

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Just because it's what I cut my shooting teeth on, I prefer the Marlin model Glenfield 60.
    Older versions have a 17 round tube magazine
    I believe the newer ones have 14 round tubes.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    I couldn't possibly list all of the .22s that I like.
    It is possibly my favorite caliber.

My only beef with the 10-22 mag is that it can be hard on bullets if you are looking for accuracy.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    If you were in the market for 22 for a range plinker which would you choose?

Tippmann all day for a semiauto. CZ457 Scout for a bolt. You already have the Henry, so you've got the lever gun covered. I want a straight pull, so the Volquartsen Summit is high on my list (but still more money than I'd like to spend on one).

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Tippmann all day for a semiauto. CZ457 Scout for a bolt. You already have the Henry, so you've got the lever gun covered. I want a straight pull, so the Volquartsen Summit is high on my list (but still more money than I'd like to spend on one).
    These are solid choices.

If you're looking for a lower priced option the Savage and Marlin options are pretty good also.

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    I never had issues when I used a 15-22 for steel challenge. Today I shot a match where 4 people were using the same 15-22 and it went about 800 rounds with no problems other than a failure to fire about 4 times. They were using bargain basement .22lr hollow points.

A 10/22 or a 15-22 will be great for plinking. 15-22 if you want AR style controls, 10/22 if you want a traditional rifle.

Most guns work if taken care of.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Please elaborate. For you what makes the most 15 22 the better choice?
    It's just a fun plinking gun. I have a red dot on mine as well. For just going out and throwing 22lrs down range, it is my choice. When I feel like being more controlled, my Savage FVSR or my Henry come out. All are threaded and generally get run suppressed.

As for why is it better, that is personal preference. Like I said, I am not a fan of the 10/22.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    It's just a fun plinking gun. I have a red dot on mine as well. For just going out and throwing 22lrs down range, it is my choice. When I feel like being more controlled, my Savage FVSR or my Henry come out. All are threaded and generally get run suppressed.

As for why is it better, that is personal preference. Like I said, I am not a fan of the 10/22.
    Fair enough. Thank you I am on the fence between the Ruger and M and P looks like there might be an approximate $200 price difference just wondering just to blast away at tin cans and the occasional steel plate if it would be worth the extra funds. You know since I am still holding on to my pipe dream of finding a Vickers 1911 for a price I am willing to pay.

Does the M and P have any weight to it?

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    I never had issues when I used a 15-22 for steel challenge. Today I shot a match where 4 people were using the same 15-22 and it went about 800 rounds with no problems other than a failure to fire about 4 times. They were using bargain basement .22lr hollow points.

A 10/22 or a 15-22 will be great for plinking. 15-22 if you want AR style controls, 10/22 if you want a traditional rifle.

Most guns work if taken care of.
    Just because I enjoy shooting my MinI I may lean towards the Ruger. Seems like the take down might be a handy thing to have, could put a red dot on it etc.

jerrob

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Cumberland Plateau
    Pistol or long gun, if it shoots 22s reliably, I like it.
    During Wu-Flu, I looked everywhere for a couple of Henry 22s with no luck. About that time, I found a couple S&W 15-22 pistols for the wife and I. Found plenty of mags at Scheel's and off to the range.
    I love my 10/22s and will always have them, but those 15-22 pistols are so much more fun when you're just wanting to plink.
    WCD, if ya find yourself in my neck of the woods, yell at me and I'll loan ya one of mine to play with.

Top Bottom