• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    A 1022 fingergroove w GM 20" sporter bbl and Volq hammer might be a dandy hunting rig.

Outside of that have zero interest in one.

Have put tons of lead into backstops as a kid and dont enjoy plinking or making noise. I shoot to test stuff and then hunt it.

Old enough now i cant compete in anything so the idea of multiple rigs for general fun isnt there.

I have a bolt rig that does OK w SK match. Its a yawner. Rather nuke pineys w my pistol.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Ive had a 581 and a 541T HB.
    Hate the plastic mag and having it stick out at balance point.

The Anschutz base plate stuff isnt as bad. Wouldnt mind a 141M for close varminting. My 141 hung w my 1403 and was a repeater that was lighter LOL

Elcardo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 14, 2020
    Ft.wayne
    Was just rocking a cmmg 22lr conversion on ar15 , federal 1050 subs with an F1 .......more fun than I've had shooting in a long time ....huge giggle factor
    Tried those cci " quite" 22lr ..... like 750 fps i think .....wouldn't cycle the action but literally sounded like dry firing an AR trigger !!!

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    Just wondering if market conditions are such that 22 LR would ever get to to point where you would need to justify expense of buying it?

Although like many other calibers it has gone up but not to the same level increase as 9mm etc.

I really enjoy plinking with my Henry Lever Action. Also the Mini 14 and 30 enjoyable as well, but as cost goes up I tend to shot less.

Of late I am not doing my part to control the population of Tin Cans. Tomato soup, black beans, coffee, refried beans, corn. Yup the can population is getting to be an issue. And something must be done now.

So in response I have decided that a return to frequent plinking is in order. So I would really like to add another 22 to the safe. Right now I am looking at the obvious choices, a 10/22 or possibly a AR variant chambered in 22lr. Honestly it is not really going to have a purpose other than range fun, so there is that. Ideally I want to put a middle of the road red dot on it and plink away.

I have heard good things about the Smith and Wesson AR version, and of course the 10/22 has been around for a long time. If you were in the market for 22 for a range plinker which would you choose?
    Is there another .22 beside the 10/22......I have not heard fo such a thing........"10/22 Perfection" to paraphrase the Grock fanboys......

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Was just rocking a cmmg 22lr conversion on ar15 , federal 1050 subs with an F1 .......more fun than I've had shooting in a long time ....huge giggle factor
    Tried those cci " quite" 22lr ..... like 750 fps i think .....wouldn't cycle the action but literally sounded like dry firing an AR trigger !!!
    Quiets are not for Semis. They are great in a bolt though. Don't even need a suppressor.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I got a 10/22 because, you know, everyone should have one. But really, more so to teach grandkids and my wife to shoot plus I needed one when I was doing Appleseed/Revere Rider courses. Since then I have put some work into it and it shoots really well. I just need a bi-pod for it and then it will be a dedicated bench rifle.

I also have a 15-22. That is my "fun" gun. I like to set up COF's at the range that involve Texas Stars, plate racks, dueling trees, several paper targets and just blast away. That one took a little work (and money) to get it where I want it, but it sure is fun.

So, I'd say eventually have both, pick one to start. Since you have a Henry, I'd start with the 15-22. You may find you don't need the 10/22.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Do Appleseed with a bolt. :):
    I did. With a tube magazine. :n00b: The timed shoot portion was interesting. I had to shoot, then instead of changing a mag, I had to cycle and eject two live rounds, then continue. Let's just say that it was less than ideal. :): The instructor did say he enjoyed seeing me work the bolt that fast though.

This is the rifle - Mossberg 46B.

1654522182809.jpeg

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I did. With a tube magazine. :n00b: The timed shoot portion was interesting. I had to shoot, then instead of changing a mag, I had to cycle and eject two live rounds, then continue. Let's just say that it was less than ideal. :): The instructor did say he enjoyed seeing me work the bolt that fast though.

This is the rifle - Mossberg 46B.

View attachment 204271
    Nice. I used my Savage FVSR.

scout5

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 15, 2008
    Charlestown
    I never have been partial to the 10/22. Nothing wrong with them, the choices in magazines is a plus especially if you just want to burn ammo. I'm not trying to discourage a 10/22 purchase just saying they aren't my choice. I just would rather have a good older semi-auto. My two favorites right now are a Remington 552 and a Remington 550-1. The 550-1 can be tuned to run CB's and that's a blast now and then. Both will run shorts if you desire

If something other than a semi-auto is an option, it's hard to beat the fun of a lever gun. An older classic, if you can find and afford one, is great, but a basic Henry is just as fun. If you want to reach out with one CZ makes some good accurate bolt actions that, while not cheap, won't break your wallet like some of the high end stuff and are plenty accurate.

Most of my .22 shooting right now from an old model 67A Winchester bolt action single shot. If I take a 22 squirrel hunting it's usually the 552 as it shoots minute of squirrel's head even with these old eyes.

Robert L

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2022
    Huntington
    Just wondering if market conditions are such that 22 LR would ever get to to point where you would need to justify expense of buying it?

Although like many other calibers it has gone up but not to the same level increase as 9mm etc.

I really enjoy plinking with my Henry Lever Action. Also the Mini 14 and 30 enjoyable as well, but as cost goes up I tend to shot less.

Of late I am not doing my part to control the population of Tin Cans. Tomato soup, black beans, coffee, refried beans, corn. Yup the can population is getting to be an issue. And something must be done now.

So in response I have decided that a return to frequent plinking is in order. So I would really like to add another 22 to the safe. Right now I am looking at the obvious choices, a 10/22 or possibly a AR variant chambered in 22lr. Honestly it is not really going to have a purpose other than range fun, so there is that. Ideally I want to put a middle of the road red dot on it and plink away.

I have heard good things about the Smith and Wesson AR version, and of course the 10/22 has been around for a long time. If you were in the market for 22 for a range plinker which would you choose?
    I'm kind of partial to the older Marlin model 60. Fun gun and accurate. Semi- auto gun that will keep those cans from attacking you!

Top Bottom