• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • deal me in

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 14, 2012
    Avon
    This wouldn't have ANYTHING to do with Mali's gold export braking 80% GDP at the same time we have multiple nations calling to repatriate their gold from the Federal Reserve, would it? Al Quida sure has a knack for taking up residence in countries that have large amounts of resources we currently are in need of.

My first purple on the board, lol.

Ding, Ding. Western military forces are there to protect the uranium and gold interests. No one would care about Mali if they weren't Africa's 3rd largest producer of gold. Wealthy, powerful people want their gold mines protected so western governments send in the troops.

Degtyaryov

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2013
    Logistical support is one thing. I'm ok with showing 'em the targets and getting them there so long as they're the ones doing the bombing/shooting.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Call the World Police

France Formally Requests US Military Aid for Mali Invasion
    According to Joint Chiefs of Staff chairman Gen. Martin Dempsey, the French government has formally asked the United States for military aid for its invasion of Mali, saying that the aid will conclude planning, logistics and air support, but not combat troops.

France invaded on Saturday, and initially said they believed they would turn Mali into a “terror-free” democracy within a matter of weeks. Since then they have expressed surprise at the strength of rebel fighters, however.

Mali.gif

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    Ding, Ding. Western military forces are there to protect the uranium and gold interests. No one would care about Mali if they weren't Africa's 3rd largest producer of gold. Wealthy, powerful people want their gold mines protected so western governments send in the troops.

Show me a war that wasn't fought over resources. I don't understand why people even bother commenting about this.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    USA enters the North African campaign

U.S. begins transporting French troops, equipment to Mali - Yahoo! News
    PARIS (Reuters) - The United States has started transporting French soldiers and equipment to Mali as part of its logistical aid to French forces fighting Islamist militants in the north of the country, a U.S. official said on Tuesday.

"We have started air lifting French army personnel and equipment to Bamako from Istres," said Benjamin Benson, a spokesman for U.S. Africa Command (AFRICOM).

moltke

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2011
    Springville
    The OP title reads 'U.S. to get involved' and then goes on to talk about how another country has yet again asked for help from the Americans at their leisure. This basically likely means that we'll be footing the bill, providing all Intel, fueling and supplying all "allies" , and at the same time putting our selves out there to take virtually all the political heat and passing all credit onto someone else. Did I forget anything?

moltke

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2011
    Springville
    Why don't we just let the Europeans handle this one on their own? :dunno:

Read my comment above ... they CAN'T! Worthless NATO has for years simply allowed US cash and resources to let them scrimp on by pretending to be part of an alliance. I can't remember some of the numbers, but the state of arms for the UK and France during the early stages of the Libya campaign was absolutely terrible. They had almost no spare parts and came running in a matter of days! Of all our many useless agreements and alliances ... Europe is the one that most seems desperate for a modern adjustment and realignment.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    President Obama orders $50 million in funds to support France and Chad in Mali
    On Feb. 11, President Barack Obama signed a Presidential Memorandum releasing $50 million to the Department of Defense to provide support to the nations of France and Chad in their ongoing conflict in Mali. This memorandum, singed under the authority of section 506 in the Foreign Assistance Act of 1961, allows the President to appropriate weapons, support services, and any necessary education and training to a foreign military, up to $100 million per year.

Top Bottom