• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Yup!

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    when you dropped it off, they weighed it. If the weight on arrival isn't the same, that's about the only proof you will have that you put "something" into the box.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    Ok to answer some questions. I put 4 large black zip ties going across the handle. At the shop I couldn't get the case to hardly open at all. And which local police do I contact? Here in Kokomo or up in Alaska where the empty cardboard box was discovered. And I agree to all that say it was stolen!

did you read my post about involving the postal inspector (not local post office)?

I'm no fan of the federal government in general, but this is the kind of stuff that government is actually supposed to do. The potential jurisdictional problem with shipping is why the postal service has jurisdiction over crime that occurs with a UPS package

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Surprisingly, we ship a lot of empty boxes through the system. It's how returns from companies are sometimes handled. They ship the customer an empty box with a return tag inside of it... so a big empty box is not at all alarming to anyone. I've loaded trailers for 8 years and I load empty boxes every single day. :yesway:

Well...I learned something today.

I guess I'd still question the boxes' condition not triggering some sort of alarm.

JimH

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Hopefully you had your info on the inner box(hard case),so if it does show up they can connect the dots without tracking down thru a serial #.

Joniki

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NE Indiana
    did you read my post about involving the postal inspector (not local post office)?

I'm no fan of the federal government in general, but this is the kind of stuff that government is actually supposed to do. The potential jurisdictional problem with shipping is why the postal service has jurisdiction over crime that occurs with a UPS package

The Postal inspector will deal with a United Parcel Service (UPS) issue?

citizenkane

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    I ship UPS on a daily basis and I also have never seen any special marking for expensive product inside..
    Now the address might clue them in, like.....
    The Smokin Gun Trading Post....

I believe that USPS did or does use a different colored label for insured items. UPS may not, I don't use them because I don't feel like driving to the main hub to ship a firearm.

Johnnn

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 15, 2015
    Garrett
    Had a friend who worked at ups and they were very detailed on coming and going I think they have metal detectors because an employee was caught stealing. They only caught the guy because the metal wrapper on some sort of candy (but the person fessed up and returned the stolen merch and resigned). So I highly doubt unless several layers of employees are going to let that slide through the employee entrance. It will likely turn up somewhere because they couldn't get it out the door as another person has already posted, I would hope anyways

colts1982

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2012
    Kokomo
    So I did call the postal inspector and after 45 mins on the phone they told me since it was ups and not the usps it's not there problem and call the bbb. Yeah can't make that up!! So then on to the atf who after another 45 mins asked if the rifle was full auto and I said no they told me well just call ups and quickly then hung up. So that's what I did and after 3 separate frustrating phone calls decide to call my local police. They told me that I need to call anchorage to report with them since that's where the box was found. So I did and they then told me to call back to my local cops because that's the last known place it was seen. So I did they asked me if I lived in the county (I called the sheriff) and I said yes and they asked me where I shipped from which was in the city so they then told me to call Kokomo police. I then called ups for a fourth time and gave them the tracking for the 3rd time and they magically found the package was last in Louisville! They lady then called Louisville warehouse and within 2 mins it was found in lost and found. I started this journey at 10:30 in the a.m. And got done at a nice 4:000pm!!! What a joke on all parts. Thanks everyone for the help! Ingo your my only friend

Skullglide

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 21, 2014
    Otterbein
    When I worked in a local gunship in the late 90's, I was checking in a shipment and opened a colt mustang pocket lite box that was all foam inside. No gun, second mag or Instructions. That's was a well crap moment.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    When I worked in a local gunship in the late 90's, I was checking in a shipment and opened a colt mustang pocket lite box that was all foam inside. No gun, second mag or Instructions. That's was a well crap moment.

Yeah but to Colt's credit......they could have shipped it like that :):

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Government bureaucracies and union grade customer service.

Their attitude is "I'm getting paid whether I have to talk to you or not, if I actually have to get up I'm not going to be happy."

Lost and found...at a UPS hub...we lost it can you find it?

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Still sounds like an attempted theft that "found" it's way to lost and found.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    I shipped a 10/22 barrel to PA several years ago via UPS. The empty box was returned to the UPS store with one end torn open. UPS said they tried to deliver it on a specific day but nobody was there. The intended recipient assured me he was home all day. It took a couple of weeks but UPS paid me $200. The same UPS store refused to ship a Ruger M96 trigger group yesterday. USPS accepted it in a small flat rate box, no problem.

Top Bottom