• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pewpew2232

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 22, 2021
    Charlestown
    Not new to 1911s, have a couple RIA’s, had a Tisas and have fired a Taurus. However I’m looking to get my first US made gun. I’m wanting to stay in the ~$850 range right now the main contender is the Springfield Mil Spec in stainless. Any others to consider? Kimber has several models in that range I like the look of but they just seem to be a rabbit hole of problems.

PRasko

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 3, 2013
    Amish country
    Springfield over kimber, unless you can find an older made one. That opinion though.

Kimber quality has dropped pretty badly, imo, since they moved.

Also S&W makes a 1911, im sure its typical S&W quality.

Sig also makes some as well as ruger.

mark40sw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2015
    Roanoke
    Have several ruger sr1911's, no problems operating or feeding with any of them.

Only issue, I replaced plunger tube spring on a couple to get a better safety throw. Low cost spring from Wilson combat.

Some of them replaced the all black front sight with Dawson Precision fiber front sights. SR1911's use a non standard front sight for fitting.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Stay clear of the newer Limbers. As already stated the quality is just not there for the price point.
    Springer has some nice offerings in your budget.
    Tigers are OK but I prefer the metallurgy of the Springers.
    A newer player on the market is Bull Armory.
    Nephew picked one up some weeks back and he loves it.

pewpew2232

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 22, 2021
    Charlestown
    I’ve looked into Ruger some but even the used ones I see are selling for over $900, and I figure at that point might as well just save a little more for a Dan Wesson or something similar. Does bul have USA guns? I thought they were Turkish? I don’t have anything against that just wanting to stay US this time around. As for the loaded, one of my RIA had a bunch of “upgrades” so I was wanting to stay more basic this time, that’s why I like the Mil Spec, also looking hard at the Garrisn.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    I’ve looked into Ruger some but even the used ones I see are selling for over $900, and I figure at that point might as well just save a little more for a Dan Wesson or something similar. Does bul have USA guns? I thought they were Turkish? I don’t have anything against that just wanting to stay US this time around. As for the loaded, one of my RIA had a bunch of “upgrades” so I was wanting to stay more basic this time, that’s why I like the Mil Spec, also looking hard at the Garrisn.
    The beavertail, flat mainspring housing and sights on the Garrison make it a much better shooter IMO.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Israeli not Turkish but no, I don't believe they have US built guns.

neycx1911

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2022
    Noblesville
    Not new to 1911s, have a couple RIA’s, had a Tisas and have fired a Taurus. However I’m looking to get my first US made gun. I’m wanting to stay in the ~$850 range right now the main contender is the Springfield Mil Spec in stainless. Any others to consider? Kimber has several models in that range I like the look of but they just seem to be a rabbit hole of problems.
    You can find a solid Springfield Range Officer used for that price. I have no issues with Kimbers, but the Springfield just feels more solid.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county

More better than mass production pistols. Owner worked at DW!

You can order a custom 1911 at great prices!

Downside your probably gonna wait for them to make it.

pewpew2232

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 22, 2021
    Charlestown

More better than mass production pistols. Owner worked at DW!

You can order a custom 1911 at great prices!

Downside your probably gonna wait for them to make it.
    I see a lot of mixed thought on Fusion, not as bad as Kimber but enough to make me hesitant, especially with never having actually seen one in person.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I’ve posted this question in two places, Springfield has the most recommendations by a lot, I really like the stainless mil spec by I might just pick up whichever model I find a decent deal on first.
    Can't go wrong with pretty much any Springer 1911. I would say it's a safe bet. I'm basically into DW but we're talking more than your budget range. I have had Springer 1911s in the past. I have'nt had any issues with them and would'nt hesitate to buy another one.

Top Bottom