• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    I would go with the Ronin or Garrison from Springfield if I were in your position. As others have said the frame and slide on the Springer will be much better than the cast frame of the Ruger (also how does the SR1911 MSRP for more than the Springfield lol?!?!).

The big advantage of the Ronin / Garrison IMHO is it comes with Novak cut sights , the enhanced modern beavertail and flat mainspring housing the GI-Style guns come with.

This is more personal than anything else , but I would consider saving up a bit for a model with h front strap checkering , it makes a 1911 handle a lot better IMHO and having a gunsmith add it later will be $300-$400

acjJvCN.jpg

This started as a base model MC Operator and now the only things still stock are the slide , frame and barrel. Everything else has been changed .

pewpew2232

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 22, 2021
    Charlestown
    I would go with the Ronin or Garrison from Springfield if I were in your position. As others have said the frame and slide on the Springer will be much better than the cast frame of the Ruger (also how does the SR1911 MSRP for more than the Springfield lol?!?!).

The big advantage of the Ronin / Garrison IMHO is it comes with Novak cut sights , the enhanced modern beavertail and flat mainspring housing the GI-Style guns come with.

This is more personal than anything else , but I would consider saving up a bit for a model with h front strap checkering , it makes a 1911 handle a lot better IMHO and having a gunsmith add it later will be $300-$400

acjJvCN.jpg

This started as a base model MC Operator and now the only things still stock are the slide , frame and barrel. Everything else has been changed .
    Not sure how the Ruger is more, even the stainless Ronin is 100 less. They seem to have gotten awful proud of their guns in the past year MSRP on revolvers has really jumped and that’s from someone that is a Ruger fan. I’ve shot with and without checkering and I can take it or leave it. At this point I think I’m going to stick with Springfield and shop around locally and see which model I find a decent deal on first. I saw the new mil specs come with taller 3 dot sights now to and I have smaller hands so big beaver tails really don’t do a whole lot for me. I do like the looks of them though.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Not sure how the Ruger is more, even the stainless Ronin is 100 less. They seem to have gotten awful proud of their guns in the past year MSRP on revolvers has really jumped and that’s from someone that is a Ruger fan. I’ve shot with and without checkering and I can take it or leave it. At this point I think I’m going to stick with Springfield and shop around locally and see which model I find a decent deal on first. I saw the new mil specs come with taller 3 dot sights now to and I have smaller hands so big beaver tails really don’t do a whole lot for me. I do like the looks of them though.
    I don't have big hands either. Where the beavertail shines for me is it gets rid of the sharp edges and smooths out recoil. I much prefer the upswept vs milspec.

And yeah I don't understand the Ruger being more expensive.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    ^^^
    Just rember that if you ever decide to swap out the garbage rod sights on a Mil Spec it's going to be expensive. The grip safety is subjective but I like how the "modern" beavertail safeties allow you to get higher up on the gun and the "speed bump" allows for easier deactivation IMHO

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    I don't have big hands either. Where the beavertail shines for me is it gets rid of the sharp edges and smooths out recoil. I much prefer the upswept vs milspec.

And yeah I don't understand the Ruger being more expensive.
    I believe Ruger to be a very solid choice pre plandemic pricing. I believe I paid around $575 out the door for my Commander style Lightweight Sr 1911. Mine is one of the earlier models with the front strap serrations.

In todays market I would take a serious look at the Garrison, depending on how their customer service is doing.

pewpew2232

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 22, 2021
    Charlestown
    I believe Ruger to be a very solid choice pre plandemic pricing. I believe I paid around $575 out the door for my Commander style Lightweight Sr 1911. Mine is one of the earlier models with the front strap serrations.

In todays market I would take a serious look at the Garrison, depending on how their customer service is doing.
    Yep, not sure what happened with Ruger even used ones around here go for more than a new Ronin. Anyone know if the Remington R1s are worth looking into? Don’t see much on them seem to be quite a few around for pretty good prices.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Yep, not sure what happened with Ruger even used ones around here go for more than a new Ronin. Anyone know if the Remington R1s are worth looking into? Don’t see much on them seem to be quite a few around for pretty good prices.
    I would take a pass on the Remington. You'd have better luck sticking with a Springfield. Between the two I would go with a Springer. Better proven track record.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD

More better than mass production pistols. Owner worked at DW!

You can order a custom 1911 at great prices!

Downside your probably gonna wait for them to make it.
    I actually saw some Fusions last time I was in a Shoot Point Blank.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    ^^^
    Just rember that if you ever decide to swap out the garbage rod sights on a Mil Spec it's going to be expensive. The grip safety is subjective but I like how the "modern" beavertail safeties allow you to get higher up on the gun and the "speed bump" allows for easier deactivation IMHO
    It's not problematic, send the slide to Novak with the part numbers of the sights you want and in less than a week you get it back.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD

Yes, the Garrison's are nice looking guns, Sportsmans Outdoor right now has blued ones in stock for 779.00 and i've seen them cheaper than that, the SS is listed at 829.00 but out of stock right now but if you're patient you can find one probably less than 800.00.

PlaysInTheDirt

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 14, 2016
    Southport
    Madison Outdoors had a Springfield Ronin 9mm Commander and a Fusion Freedom 9mm CCO for the same price just under $800.00.
    The CCO combo of commander upper and office lower felt fantastic in hand and the trigger and fit/finish was maybe a little better than the Ronin which was really nice itself. I went with the Ronin after more than a few minutes of back and forth handling of both. My pre-purchase research showed the Fusion guns to have a few more mixed reviews out there than the Springfield product...though I keep wondering if I should have given the CCO a chance.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    It's not problematic, send the slide to Novak with the part numbers of the sights you want and in less than a week you get it back.

Just one more thing to do and spend money on, I generally tend to gravitate towards guns that come configured how I want from the factory (saves a bunch on gunsmithing). But as with all guns it's personal preference, except for Hi-Points those suck.

Top Bottom