• ...and so much more!
  • chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    I'll actually be in town that week! Are there any prerequisites for a match such as this one? I have done zero competitive shooting, ever.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    I'll actually be in town that week! Are there any prerequisites for a match such as this one? I have done zero competitive shooting, ever.

No. Just show up and follow the rules and be safe. Be glad to have you.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    No. Just show up and follow the rules and be safe. Be glad to have you.

The absolute best place to start is here, without a doubt. You will be glad you did it!

Okay, I just registered. I'll be arriving assuming that I (like Jon Snow) know nothing (other than safety principles).

I seem to remember there being a post/link with information about match requirements (equipment, etc.) and other things to know beforehand. If I'm remembering correctly, can you point me in the right direction?

I'm looking forward to joining you!

cakelly1962

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2010
    Columbus
    Go to the Competition shooting sticky thread at the top of shooting sports. It'll walk you thru the basics. Just remember to let the match director know you are a new shooter.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Okay, I just registered. I'll be arriving assuming that I (like Jon Snow) know nothing (other than safety principles).

I seem to remember there being a post/link with information about match requirements (equipment, etc.) and other things to know beforehand. If I'm remembering correctly, can you point me in the right direction?

I'm looking forward to joining you!

What flight you shooting? I read the referenced link and it seemed like good information. How many magazines depends on what gun/division you want to shoot. (You can potentially get by with a hi-cap 9 and as little as 2 or 3 mags).

Welcome aboard, I think you'll like it.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    What flight you shooting? I read the referenced link and it seemed like good information. How many magazines depends on what gun/division you want to shoot. (You can potentially get by with a hi-cap 9 and as little as 2 or 3 mags).

Welcome aboard, I think you'll like it.

What are the differences between flights?

I'm going to use my EDC Ruger SR9c, for which I have 2, 10-round magazines, and 2, 17-round magazines. So, I'm thinking (hoping) I should be good there, at least to get me started for the first time. It looks like I'll need to pick up a magazine carrier of some sort, though.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    What are the differences between flights?

I'm going to use my EDC Ruger SR9c, for which I have 2, 10-round magazines, and 2, 17-round magazines. So, I'm thinking (hoping) I should be good there, at least to get me started for the first time. It looks like I'll need to pick up a magazine carrier of some sort, though.

No difference...there's just a 5:30 flight and an 8PM one when you signed up. Your gun will be fine, with that combo you can shoot either Limited Division (mags loaded to full capacity) or Production (10 rounds in the mag). There are usually a max. of 32 shots in each of the 3 stages, so two 17-rounders loaded to capacity will get you through a stage with only one reload in Limited...or, you can load 10 in all 4 of them, and shoot Production (which will entail a few reloads and more mag carriers).

For mag carriers, I have found that the Blackhawk $25 clip-on single-mag ones they sell in all the stores (like Parabellum, Indy Trading Post, etc.) work just fine. They make fancier, more adjustable ones which seemingly everybody uses, but these work great. You'll need one of them for Limited, 3 for Production. (If you don't want to reload out of your pockets...which is what I did the first time last year...not recommended!)

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    No difference...there's just a 5:30 flight and an 8PM one when you signed up. Your gun will be fine, with that combo you can shoot either Limited Division (mags loaded to full capacity) or Production (10 rounds in the mag). There are usually a max. of 32 shots in each of the 3 stages, so two 17-rounders loaded to capacity will get you through a stage with only one reload in Limited...or, you can load 10 in all 4 of them, and shoot Production (which will entail a few reloads and more mag carriers).

For mag carriers, I have found that the Blackhawk $25 clip-on single-mag ones they sell in all the stores (like Parabellum, Indy Trading Post, etc.) work just fine. They make fancier, more adjustable ones which seemingly everybody uses, but these work great. You'll need one of them for Limited, 3 for Production. (If you don't want to reload out of your pockets...which is what I did the first time last year...not recommended!)

Ah, ok. I signed up for 5:30. (I think? I hope?)

Will there be both Limited and Production? Would I be better off shooting Limited, and only dealing with one magazine change (and one magazine carrier), since this is my first time? I'll stop by to see Bob this weekend, and see what he has.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Ah, ok. I signed up for 5:30. (I think? I hope?)

Will there be both Limited and Production? Would I be better off shooting Limited, and only dealing with one magazine change (and one magazine carrier), since this is my first time? I'll stop by to see Bob this weekend, and see what he has.

You can compete in any of the 5 equipment divisions at any match, but yeah, Ltd. is what I'd recommend for your first time. Allows you to keep your head up and shoot more, manipulate the gun less. Just let them know you're shooting Limited minor when they enter your name in the Kindle tablet.

I'm on the late shift, but when you show up for the shooters' meeting, Coach (Aron) or any of the ROs will be able to get you pointed the right way. You will have a good time :yesway:.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    You can compete in any of the 5 equipment divisions at any match, but yeah, Ltd. is what I'd recommend for your first time. Allows you to keep your head up and shoot more, manipulate the gun less. Just let them know you're shooting Limited minor when they enter your name in the Kindle tablet.

I'm on the late shift, but when you show up for the shooters' meeting, Coach (Aron) or any of the ROs will be able to get you pointed the right way. You will have a good time :yesway:.

Oh, I'm looking forward to it! (And hopefully, I'll get to meet some INGOers, too.)

Top Bottom