• ...and so much more!
  • HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I was one of those.

FoF really drives home the lesson that decision-making is SOO important to such scenarios. Not just gun-handling and marksmanship alone.

Force on force training may be about as close as you can get. But it's still just that, training.

For example, but how do you think you will react to a shooter if your wife takes a gunshot to the face?

Will you move to shield and protect her, stand there in shock because of what just happened and what you see in front of you, or will you be drawing your gun?

Someone asked me that once and I don't really know the answer to that.... I couldn't know, having never been in combat or a gunfight.

These are things we can't practice or know, until we face them.

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    So many people carry guns every day and don't understand what you just wrote and why it is important.

That is merely the tip of the iceburg for most who carry.

Few do FoF training.

Even fewer do any type of training/competition.

Even fewer even shoot WITH PURPOSE.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    For example, but how do you think you will react to a shooter if your wife takes a gunshot to the face?

I actually do know, because I experienced almost that exact thing this past weekend.

What did I do? I prevailed.

JT you seriously need to come train up here with me. It will blow your mind. (it sure did mine)

Shay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indy
    Force on force training may be about as close as you can get. But it's still just that, training.

I agree to an extent that training will always at some level be artificial, but I disagree that you can't reasonably predict how someone will react in a given situation. Realistic scenario-based FoF gives us that ability.

Trav43

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2012
    Northern Shelby county
    Shay, if you take your course do you get to shoot each other with those paint bullets?? And on a serious note how do you combat the extremely alerted mindset in your class?? i.e. I am taking a class and expect to be suprised with an attack.

Shay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indy
    Shay, if you take your course do you get to shoot each other with those paint bullets?? And on a serious note how do you combat the extremely alerted mindset in your class?? i.e. I am taking a class and expect to be suprised with an attack.

Yes, if you take a Force on Force class from me, in the skills portion you will shoot someone and you will be shot. You may or may not shoot someone or be shot in a scenarios.

I specifically caution my students against walking around in Condition Orange (Cooper's color codes). Not everybody is a threat.

It helps to have multiple role players where not all (or not any) of them are "bad guys". There are "no shoot" scenarios mixed in. This resets the student's ability to prejudge a situation.

I also craft scenarios that punish behavior such as treating everyone as a threat or going to gun too early.

Top Bottom