• ...and so much more!
  • Lock n Load

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    146   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    FFort
    I wasn't commenting specifically on your post otherwise I would've quoted it.

I made the comment on how ridiculous the whole license/permit ordeal is in general. Especially when it comes to having to get multiple license's/permit's including Non-Res permits from other states that in all possibility most of us have ever been to or intend to visit.

My mistake.... commonly even if not quoted if its directly under a post it sometimes refers to it... my bad and my public apology to you.

But yes, its ridiculous that crossing a map line can land a legal person in jail and a felony.....we need national carry laws, no doubt !!!

Lock n Load

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    146   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    FFort

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Here is your Indiana Resident permit.
    IndianaRes.png

And here is the Virginia Non-Res permit.
    IndianaNonRes.png

So, you do get a couple more states for it...depends where you want to travel really. may be worth it if you really just need Ohio, New Mexico, Nebraska, West Virginia, and Virginia. Could be worth it.

EDIT: I also love the fact that Virginia uses a Desert Eagle as the main photo on their website. It sounds like an awesome place. :p

Last edited:

j4jenk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 27, 2012
    Madison County
    According to the VA website: Virginia State Police - Nonresident Concealed Handgun Permits

It seems that there are multiple ways that many of us are already qualified without having to take the online class:

• Completing a hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries or a similar agency of another state.
    • Completing any National Rifle Association firearms safety or training course.
    • Completing any firearms safety or training course or class available to the general public offered by a law-enforcement agency, junior college, college, or private or public institution or organization or firearms training school utilizing instructors certified by the National Rifle Association or the Department of Criminal Justice Services or a similar agency of another state.
    • Completing any law-enforcement firearms safety or training course or class offered for security guards, investigators, special deputies, or any division or subdivision of law enforcement or security enforcement.
    • Presenting evidence of equivalent experience with a firearm through participation in organized shooting competition approved by the Department of State Police or current military service or proof of an honorable discharge from any branch of the armed services.
    • Obtaining or previously having held a license to carry a firearm in this Commonwealth or a locality thereof, unless such license has been revoked for cause.
    • Completing any firearms training or safety course or class, including an electronic, video, or on-line course, conducted by a state-certified or National Rifle Association-certified firearms instructor.
    • Completing any governmental police agency firearms training course and qualifying to carry a firearm in the course of normal police duties.
    • Completing any other firearms training that the Virginia Department of State Police deems adequate.
    The way I read it, anyone who has has proof of a NRA, LEO or other Organizational training, is currently serving in the military, active LEO or has a DD214 from military service doesn't need to take the class.

It does however look like you have to jump through some hoops by requesting a packet, getting a LEO to fingerprint you, then getting it notarized.

Captain Morgan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2012
    terrible haute
    I wasn't commenting specifically on your post otherwise I would've quoted it.

I made the comment on how ridiculous the whole license/permit ordeal is in general. Especially when it comes to having to get multiple license's/permit's including Non-Res permits from other states that in all possibility most of us have ever been to or intend to visit.

I like to travel by motorcycle and visit numerous states (want to hit all continental US, plus Canada), and would like to carry legally in as many as possible. Alaska would be extremely difficult because I can't even cross the Canadian border with my gun, which sucks!

bigtex

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2012
    Fort Worth, TX
    Lots of Texans go with the FL non-res. It DOES require you to fire weapon during the 4-5 hours class. (unlike VA).

Because TX resident CHL requires up to 12 hours (including up to 2 on the range) and 50 rounds (cost up to $25 addl or more), I don't have time for the TX license anymore.

bigtex

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2012
    Fort Worth, TX
    Oh, the media sensationalizes everything to make it look like felons and deranged people can "mail-order" a license.

They don't do fact checking to figure out that a background check and set of prints are required. They rush to get the story out and don't care about the facts.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    According to the VA website: Virginia State Police - Nonresident Concealed Handgun Permits

It seems that there are multiple ways that many of us are already qualified without having to take the online class:

• Completing a hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries or a similar agency of another state.
    • Completing any firearms safety or training course or class available to the general public offered by a law-enforcement agency, junior college, college, or private or public institution or organization or firearms training school utilizing instructors certified by the National Rifle Association or the Department of Criminal Justice Services or a similar agency of another state.
    • Presenting evidence of equivalent experience with a firearm through participation in organized shooting competition approved by the Department of State Police or current military service or proof of an honorable discharge from any branch of the armed services.
    • Completing any firearms training or safety course or class, including an electronic, video, or on-line course, conducted by a state-certified or National Rifle Association-certified firearms instructor.
    • Completing any other firearms training that the Virginia Department of State Police deems adequate.
    The way I read it, anyone who has has proof of a NRA, LEO or other Organizational training, is currently serving in the military, active LEO or has a DD214 from military service doesn't need to take the class.

It does however look like you have to jump through some hoops by requesting a packet, getting a LEO to fingerprint you, then getting it notarized.

Do you think Appleseed would qualify?

thecolter

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 14, 2010
    Indiana

• Completing any law-enforcement firearms safety or training course or class offered for security guards, investigators, special deputies, or any division or subdivision of law enforcement or security enforcement.
    • Obtaining or previously having held a license to carry a firearm in this Commonwealth or a locality thereof, unless such license has been revoked for cause.
    • Completing any governmental police agency firearms training course and qualifying to carry a firearm in the course of normal police duties.

Correct. I wanted to clarify this and contacted the VA State Police. According to them, my current Active Military status meets this requirement, all that is needed is a copy of your current Military ID. I was also told that my DD Form 214 showing an honorable discharge would also be accepted if I happened to get out of the military before proceding with the VA permit.

Top Bottom