Walmart voluntarily turning over 4473s to the ATF?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bobby

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2008
    Muncie/New Castle
    According to the article Walmart is shutting down gun sales at 500 of its retail locations. They have the option under the law to transfer the 4473s to other Walmarts selling firearms instead of turning those records over to the ATF as what happens when a FFL holder shuts down. However, what Walmart is doing is voluntarily turning over those records to the ATF which can then be digitized and store away. I'm thankful to say I have never purchased a firearm from them and also stopped buying ammo when they began to require a driver's license to purchase ammunition.
    https://www.ammoland.com/2020/12/si...vV1Sujvdb6KHXpG5j6ys4ZkaeVZ3fz4#axzz6hQSQ9VMV

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I bought 1 years ago savage 110 tactical 300 Win Magnum. Over 25 years ago. It loved 220gr Winchester silvertips. 0.75 moa at 200 yards. Neighbor wanted it to go moose hunting so I sold it. Still kick myself for that. It was a great gun out of the box.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    i think I bought a 10/22 there 25 years ago or so.
    i am shocked that china mart would betray us ...

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    It does not surprise me that Walmart would rather ATF haul their doc boxes away than have to pay to haul them to another store.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    It does not surprise me that Walmart would rather ATF haul their doc boxes away than have to pay to haul them to another store.
    This is the key here, isn't it. Why would they want to go to the hassle to move them to another store? I doubt it will be that much longer until they get out of selling guns totally at this point, then they will all end up with the ATF anyway.

COOPADUP

Accipiter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 8, 2017
    Hamilton County
    I stop at the Wally in Paoli a couple times a year and they always had this Ruger Ranch hand with wood furniture for 767.00 thought about buying it on several occasions but never pulled the trigger.
    I always purchase 12 gauge clay rounds there. Just easy and cheap.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    Bought my 1187 from the Portland Wallymart back in the day. Back then it was a major purchase for me. And of course, they managed to make it a major hassle. About six years ago I bought an ADL from the Winchester store on black friday weekend. That was a pretty good deal. That's about it for me and Wal Mart firearms. I prefer actual gun shops.

4651feeder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 21, 2016
    East of NWI
    Warehouse13.jpg

Alright I admit it, I bought a Winchester pump shotgun from Walmart 20 some years ago and have little doubt another incompetent agency of our Govermunt will have difficulty cataloging that 4473 before my bones have turned to dust. Am told it's somewhere in the middle all the way towards the back of this pile.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    I'm not sure that Wally ever sold firearms in my area. Sold ammo though, of which I did partake many times.

But... on a long enough timeline, ATF is getting every 4473 anyhow. No gun store is going to stay in business forever and I think one I did a fair bit of business already has gone on to the other side.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    One more reason to shop local from gun store owners that you know. Local, real people, are always my first choice. It's just in my blood. I'm a 3rd generation self-employed man. Gpa owned a pharmacy, Dad owned his own CPA practice, and I bought Dad's practice.
    Local business are really what keep a community alive. Not a big box faceless corporate monster.

I'll take my soap box and put it away for the rest of the Holiday. Carry on.

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    I know a guy that bought tons of Colt 6920's etc when they were phasing them out. I know what he paid for them from the Kokomo store. Very inexpensive but now it seems it wasn't worth it.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Six of us sat around a table a few years back. The subject of big brother tracing us down via 4473's came up. A suggestion was made that we could all just legally trade off sidearms right then and there. Pass them around the table so to speak.

I agreed, as long as we could pass them clockwise around the table. Gent to my right carried a Nighthawk... ;)

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Six of us sat around a table a few years back. The subject of big brother tracing us down via 4473's came up. A suggestion was made that we could all just legally trade off sidearms right then and there. Pass them around the table so to speak.

I agreed, as long as we could pass them clockwise around the table. Gent to my right carried a Nighthawk... ;)

That depends on which side of the table Churchmouse is sitting and if he's carrying that awesome 10mm he just made not to long ago.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Just an FYI dealers are required to keep the 4473’s for 20 years, after that they can destroy them if they want, and if a gun shop closes, it’s required to send them to the atf. So if every Walmart has its own different ffl number, and decides to stop selling firearms, then they’d be required by federal law to surrender their forms to the atf.

not that I love Walmart or anything, but in this instance, it’s not their doing it’s the government!

Top Bottom