Walmart voluntarily turning over 4473s to the ATF?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    According to the article Walmart is shutting down gun sales at 500 of its retail locations. They have the option under the law to transfer the 4473s to other Walmarts selling firearms instead of turning those records over to the ATF as what happens when a FFL holder shuts down. However, what Walmart is doing is voluntarily turning over those records to the ATF which can then be digitized and store away. I'm thankful to say I have never purchased a firearm from them and also stopped buying ammo when they began to require a driver's license to purchase ammunition.
    https://www.ammoland.com/2020/12/si...vV1Sujvdb6KHXpG5j6ys4ZkaeVZ3fz4#axzz6hQSQ9VMV

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Six of us sat around a table a few years back. The subject of big brother tracing us down via 4473's came up. A suggestion was made that we could all just legally trade off sidearms right then and there. Pass them around the table so to speak.

I agreed, as long as we could pass them clockwise around the table. Gent to my right carried a Nighthawk... ;)

Never sit next to a guy with ****** firearms....be he on your left or your right.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Just an FYI dealers are required to keep the 4473’s for 20 years, after that they can destroy them if they want, and if a gun shop closes, it’s required to send them to the atf. So if every Walmart has its own different ffl number, and decides to stop selling firearms, then they’d be required by federal law to surrender their forms to the atf.

not that I love Walmart or anything, but in this instance, it’s not their doing it’s the government!
    I knew an FFL dealer who left his 4473's sit under a leak in his roof. It was a soggy mess. He passed away about 15 years ago. I ask him about why he did that. He said it isn't the government's right to know who owes firearms. I was told just before his death he went and burned them all. Not much they can do to a dead man. He was a WWII Marine combat veteran. Good man, he only sold his firearms 10% over cost because he felt his duty was to arm Americans. He was talking about how draconian our government was back in the 1990's.

nz88fr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2014
    new palestine
    Not every gun shop owner has the luxury of a state of the art facility. Every once in a while there are going to be situations where storms may cause roofs to leak, basements will flood, and and poorly maintained electrically boxes may start fires. Very likely records will be lost in some cases. It's not a perfect world.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    Walmart can keep their cheap Chinese junk. I can still remember the 90s when Walmart had huge signs on everything claiming it was Made in USA!!!. Remember those stupid signs? And it was all Chinese junk.

76caprice

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 9, 2020
    Franktucky
    I bought a muzzleloader there and didn’t fill out any paperwork. Dad got a shotgun from there. Why would you be worried about paperwork? If you have a carry permit they already know you...

Top Bottom