• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Really? Being asked a question you don't like is REALLY a lethal force event?

No. An apparently misunderstood attempt to drop to the same level of absurdity as the concept of a right not to be harassed. Enshrined right beside the right to privacy, obviously

I do feel, however - a point someone else raised - that any answer other than nope, no guns in my house is a tell

Now, get off my lawn

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Okay. Why not? Yeah. Let's DO call that harassment. Because in this fresh new world of 'everything is hyperbole', bing asked questions you don't like is exactly harassment.

Okay, seriously, I think this question isn't mandatory, because not all doctor's ask it. Mine has never asked about it, and that question wasn't on the questionnaire new patients have to fill out when I started with him. I think I remember something about HHS recommending this question, but not mandating it. So, I think seams reasonable enough to believe that for some doctors, it is a policy to ask that question.

So, if you're asked that question, what do you do? Pull a firearm and demand he stop harassing you? Probably he's going to write even more stuff in your file you don't like if you do that.

Here's some sage advice. If you think the questions he/she is asking are inappropriate, then answer those questions by asking your own inappropriate questions. For example, if it's a male doctor, ask him if his wife is hot, and if so, is she satisfied...you know...sexually. Before he answers, offer to help him out with that on a quid-pro-quo basis. If it's a female doctor, gesture towards your genitals as you ask her if your insurance covers sensual massages.

disclaimer: ignore this advice. The doctor at the very least will write in your file that you're an *******.

Two points
    The concept of being harassed includes more territory than just being asked questions you don't like. I prolly misunderstood just how narrowly the discussion was focused
    Only follow this advice if you've already decided to get a new doctor/new practice ( because you just know doctors compare notes on the really crazy ones )

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    Lol, this is getting rich. But I`ll say, no, I`m hardly a snowflake, and I understand full well the Constitution offers no guarantee from being offended as those who disdain Christian symbols seem to think. However, when one is involved in a personal transaction, as is the transaction between a doctor and a patient, and when a patient is confronted with prying, intrusive questions about whether or not they actively participate in a constitutionally protected right, and understanding that the entire point of the grilling is to attack that right, as well as provide data to government agencies for unethical reasons, yes, that is harassment!

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    The patient is free to decline the transaction, take his business elsewhere, etc.

Where government intrudes and alters these options by fiat, the real problem is exposed.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    The patient is free to decline the transaction, take his business elsewhere, etc.

Where government intrudes and alters these options by fiat, the real problem is exposed.

And what if the question comes under the guise of "required by the government under the ACA" (or whatever replaces it)

ATM

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    And what if the question comes under the guise of "required by the government under the ACA" (or whatever replaces it)

In that case, the government has intruded upon the rights of both groups to freely interact and contract, doctors and patients.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    In that case, the government has intruded upon the rights of both groups to freely interact and contract, doctors and patients.
    Exactly. The fiipside of the recent ruling against Government passing legislation that prohibits a certain topic from being discussed is why then should it be allowable for government to mandate what a Dr. and patient discuss?

Shouldn't prohibiting and mandating fall under the same scrutiny?

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I believe that the government should stay out of what is discussed between a doctor and patient PERIOD! That is why I agree with the courts decision.

Imagine if this were mandating or prohibiting the discussion of adoption or abortion? Either way the government pushed would be trampling on the free flow of information between an expert consultant (ie. doctor) and the consumer (ie. patient.)

My main disagreement is with the word "harassment." To me, asking one prying, annoying, intrusive, even perhaps(?) inappropriate question does not come anywhere near the bar of harassment. Just annoying. The problem is that there are idiot parents and their children suffer horrible injuries, even death, due to the stupidity of others. Children drink poison, blind themselves, suffer irreparable harm due to the carelessness of parents who don't put simple cleaning chemicals in places they shouldn't be with little children around. And yes, children do get killed and kill with firearms left in places that are easy access for them.

So unfortunately we are left with a medical profession that sees the damage done by stupid every day and they themselves suffer from the images of the damaged children that they will never get out of their memories.

Are they overreaching? Maybe... Possibly...

Do I blame them? Kindof... Not really... It depends...

I have never had to live with the image of a child splayed open on an operating table in the ER dead from a self inflicted gunshot wound, or shot by a sibling, so I can try to empathize with the professions attempts to push safety.

Now, when and IF the medical profession sticks its nose into the political realm of trying to force rules on rights I do have a problem with that.

Regards,

Doug

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Now, when and IF the medical profession sticks its nose into the political realm of trying to force rules on rights I do have a problem with that.

Regards,

Doug

Given the AMA's hostility to 2A, what do you think is the intended use for any data derived from asking the question?

Remember, DJT will come and go; but that data will last forever, available for future misuse

ATM

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Would you want your gunsmith to strike up a conversation about your prostate?

I wouldn't want the government to mandate or prohibit such a conversation between me and my gunsmith.

If it saved me a consult with my doctor, might be worth hearing what he has to say. ;)

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    I believe that the government should stay out of what is discussed between a doctor and patient PERIOD! That is why I agree with the courts decision.

Imagine if this were mandating or prohibiting the discussion of adoption or abortion? Either way the government pushed would be trampling on the free flow of information between an expert consultant (ie. doctor) and the consumer (ie. patient.)

My main disagreement is with the word "harassment." To me, asking one prying, annoying, intrusive, even perhaps(?) inappropriate question does not come anywhere near the bar of harassment. Just annoying. The problem is that there are idiot parents and their children suffer horrible injuries, even death, due to the stupidity of others. Children drink poison, blind themselves, suffer irreparable harm due to the carelessness of parents who don't put simple cleaning chemicals in places they shouldn't be with little children around. And yes, children do get killed and kill with firearms left in places that are easy access for them.

So unfortunately we are left with a medical profession that sees the damage done by stupid every day and they themselves suffer from the images of the damaged children that they will never get out of their memories.

Are they overreaching? Maybe... Possibly...

Do I blame them? Kindof... Not really... It depends...

I have never had to live with the image of a child splayed open on an operating table in the ER dead from a self inflicted gunshot wound, or shot by a sibling, so I can try to empathize with the professions attempts to push safety.

Regards,

Doug

We simply have opposing points of view. I go to my doc for medical attention. It`s not his, nor the governments concern whether I own guns, how many I have, whether I carry them, or anything else about it. We have freedom and liberty supposedly in America, and freedom comes with certain inherent risks. As sad as it is for a child to be injured, we do not remove, or restrict basic, essential freedoms due to accidents, or inappropriate choices by others, so I absolutely do not empathize with anyone getting into my personal affairs for whatever socially acceptable flavor of the month reason they dream up, to intrude. And again we disagree on whether it`s harassment or not, because I say it most definitely is. It`s a conversation I don`t want to have, will not have, and I won`t allow government to mandate that discussion between my doctor and myself, period.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    We simply have opposing points of view. I go to my doc for medical attention. It`s not his, nor the governments concern whether I own guns, how many I have, whether I carry them, or anything else about it. We have freedom and liberty supposedly in America, and freedom comes with certain inherent risks. As sad as it is for a child to be injured, we do not remove, or restrict basic, essential freedoms due to accidents, or inappropriate choices by others, so I absolutely do not empathize with anyone getting into my personal affairs for whatever socially acceptable flavor of the month reason they dream up, to intrude. And again we disagree on whether it`s harassment or not, because I say it most definitely is. It`s a conversation I don`t want to have, will not have, and I won`t allow government to mandate that discussion between my doctor and myself, period.

Then if you don't like someone getting into your personal affairs, tell them so. Though I dare say a prostate exam is a couple of orders of magnitude higher than asking a gun question on the "getting into your business" scale.

So if you don't want government mandating that, join the fight I don't either. But I'm glad that on this point, at least, they are no longer telling a doc what they can't ask. Like it or not, there is utility to the question. Let's say someone confides to their doctor they've been having suicidal ideations. Would a line of questioning to determine the patient's means to commit suicide not make sense? Why hamstring the doctor? He has no more ability to overturn the 2A than you do to uphold it.

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    It is indeed ridiculous. I have a great doctor, he`s a very right-of-center guy like me. We`ve discussed this, and I told him, as much as I like him, it would be unpleasant were he to grill me about firearms. He laughed and said he never would, that he practices medicine, not social engineering.
    We need more doctors like that.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    Then if you don't like someone getting into your personal affairs, tell them so. Though I dare say a prostate exam is a couple of orders of magnitude higher than asking a gun question on the "getting into your business" scale.

So if you don't want government mandating that, join the fight I don't either. But I'm glad that on this point, at least, they are no longer telling a doc what they can't ask. Like it or not, there is utility to the question. Let's say someone confides to their doctor they've been having suicidal ideations. Would a line of questioning to determine the patient's means to commit suicide not make sense? Why hamstring the doctor? He has no more ability to overturn the 2A than you do to uphold it.

I think it`s safe to say, without a government mandate, doctors generally would never discuss the subject of gun ownership with their patients. In the scenario you provide, guns have nothing to do with a suicidal patient. No more so than cars, razor blades, prescription drug, etc. If you`re fine with being scolded by your physician for exercising your Second Amendment rights, then you have no dog in this fight. Never mind the data they are collecting for government. I`ll have none of it personally.

Top Bottom