• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Was Reagan great or terrible as a president?

• Total voters

PhilB

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2010
    Randolph Co.
    I voted he was great because the only choices were great or terrible. Compared to Jimmy Carter, Reagan was a superstar.:D I have lived thru the terms of 11 Presidents and all of them had their faults. I can't really think of one I would consider "Great" but there are several I consider "terrible".

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Osama Bin Laden: Profile of a Terror Leader | ABC News
    "In the 1980s, bin Laden left his comfortable Saudi home for Afghanistan to participate in the Afghan jihad, or holy war, against the invading forces of the Soviet Union - a cause that, ironically, the United States funded, pouring $3 billion into the Afghan resistance via the CIA."

Who is Osama Bin Laden? | BBC News
    "...Bin Laden left Saudi Arabia in 1979 to fight against the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan. The Afghan jihad was backed with American dollars and had the blessing of the governments of Saudi Arabia and Pakistan. He received security training from the CIA itself."

Who Is Osama Bin Laden? | Forbes
    "...[Osama bin Laden] received military and financial assistance from the intelligence services of Saudi Arabia, Pakistan and the United States."

If memory serves me correctly the last year that I ever drank was 1978, I was sitting in a bar on Hayes St. in Fayetville, North Carolina. I ran into a buddy from the 82d who was now serving with Group out of JFK Center, he and his buddies were "not" allowed to tell about the mission they were just back from;) nudge, nudge, wink, wink, but they didn't talk about how they had never been in Afghanistan, how they had never worked with the Mujahadin. Now you need to know that was not my area of study at that time so I have no confirmable info I didn't stast working that desk until late 79 the stories I can't tell you about that.

Obviously my memory is shot my time line is off sorry.

Last edited:

Pilfin

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2013
    Reagan was the best president we have had in a century. Jimmy Carter was terrible, but at least he was honest. Obama is a liar and is out to destroy the USA.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Now I know reagan supporters are on the crack rock.

Better than Dwight. D. Eisenhower. ?

I think not.

Yeah, don't know how Ronnie beats Ike. As a matter of fact, the very thing Ike railed against and warned Americans to be wary of, the "Military Industrial Complex," was one thing Reagan totally ignored

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUXtyIQjubU[/ame]

Last edited:

Harleyrider_50

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    So. Indiana
    Reagan believed what he was told when he signed that 1986 bill into law, and it wasn't until later that he found out he banned machineguns.

The cold war? He caused the Soviet Union (remember them?) to spend themselves to the point of destruction by making them believe in our Star Wars program, which had our new media calling him crazy to the point that the Soviets believe it. The program was mostly a fake just to drive the Soviets into exactly what happened. Talking about reliving history, a country spending itself into oblivion.

Reagan wasn't perfect, no president ever was, nor can they ever be because we don't allow them to be human, and we don't allow them to have differing viewpoints than our own.

Reagan took the declining economy left to him by the peanut farmer, said it would take time to get it fixed and over time got it going so well that william jefferson clinton was able to take credit for the good times.

No, Reagan wasn't perfect, but he did restore pride to the people of this great country.

:yesway:........
    And without go'n thru 100+ posts in the thread.......that's really the long and short of it right there.....:yesway:

Remember the Carter yrs......was a tuff sumb***h ........:cool:

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    "Better than Dwight. D. Eisenhower. ?"

Kind of a high jack,. Curious Question, I just would like to know. How many here actually remember Eisenhower, as a kid when you were in school or as someone you voted for? I know at least two people here are about 70 years old.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    Just as I have pointed out to you multiple times before but you always seem to not get it....RONALD REAGAN SIGNED IT INTO LAW

And as I have explained it to YOU multiple times, pro-gunners insisted upon getting the law signed, and it has been the best thing for gun owners post-'68. If it wasn't for the FOPA guns and ammo bonanza over the last 20 years I'm not sure we'd have 10's of millions of new gun owners to stand beside us.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    i see your points, but i'll give Ronnie alittle slack, taking one to the chest could sway ya alittle, not to mention watching your bud take a shot to the head, he ranks all around a great president, perfect no, but i'll take another one just like him.:patriot:
    The Brady Bunch started their pressure for a handgun ban in 1982. Reagan never gave them so much as lip service to any of their demands

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    He was the Prez, he signed it. He has to take responsibility. Blame the NRA or the (D) all you want....He signed it. Thats how I see it.

Sure, don't blame the Democrats who foisted it on us, blame the guy that gun owners asked to swallow hard and sign it. That makes perfect sense.

Osobuco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 4, 2010
    IMHO Reagan was not great but not bad either. His greatest accomplishment (working along with Pope JP2) was accelerating the fall of the iron curtain and the soviet union.

Steelman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 21, 2008
    Danville, IN
    And as I have explained it to YOU multiple times, pro-gunners insisted upon getting the law signed, and it has been the best thing for gun owners post-'68. If it wasn't for the FOPA guns and ammo bonanza over the last 20 years I'm not sure we'd have 10's of millions of new gun owners to stand beside us.

The better course of action for FOPA would have been to not sign the law. He signed it, violating his oath of Office.

If Reagan was so "flexible" in his interpretation of the Constitution, why are the modern day Repubs in love with him?

I guess he fits the mold for today's Cult of the Golden Elephant.

Fred78

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    Regans idea of cutting taxes which he did, was at the same time taking away a lot of the working mans deductions

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    The better course of action for FOPA would have been to not sign the law. He signed it, violating his oath of Office.

If Reagan was so "flexible" in his interpretation of the Constitution, why are the modern day Repubs in love with him?

I guess he fits the mold for today's Cult of the Golden Elephant.

Spot on! The problem is that the past so many examples of both sides candidates are so bad that a guy like Reagan is looked at for FAR more then he really was. BTW, it was ok for Ronny to use a gun to protect a woman but to hell with the rest of California's ability to do so.

Smokepole

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2011
    Southern Hamilton County
    This is one of those cases where "ya had to be there" to appreciate how bad Carter was - and how refreshing the change was. I know that the younger crowd here may not appreciate it - but this is one of the cases where it might pay to listen to those who were there. I'm 46 and was barely on the edge of it. Their eyewitness account, in my mind carries more weight than the revisionist history of those who have an axe to grind and/or weren't there.

It's sort of like "who are you going to believe more about life as a Jew as the Nazi's were coming to power - Anne Frank's diary? or a historical write up by somebody with an axe to grind - say Mahmoud Ahmadinejad for example?"

Reagan wasn't perfect by any stretch - but if you ask those who were adults when he was in the White House, most all would take him hands down over any President in our lifetimes.

^^^^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^^^^^

I'm 50 and began my political awakening during Carter and grew during Reagan. And I will say that Reagan was the best of the last 1/2 of last century if not the whole century. He talked to the people not at them. He restored pride in being an American. He had hopes and dreams for the country being restored to what it once was. And he knew what made an economy run well. People then were living in the Cold War and our grandparents fought in WWII and we still had vets from WWI (The War to End All Wars) to remind us what things were like in the rest of the world.

The problem with the youngsters today is they have no frame of reference and those in power are trying to revise history to allow them to push their agenda. The young'uns need to pay attention and choose their sources for history better. AND PAY ATTENTION.

cbseniour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    South East Marion County
    There have been no perfect presidents, but Reagan gave us our faith in America back after Jimmy Carter told us about the Malase and to set the thermostat cooler and wear a sweater because we couldnlt afford heat.
    He also revived a failing economy and defeated the Russians in the Eisenhour cold war. The USSR fell apart because it went broke trying to keep up with our arms spending, which was the begining of deficit spending but in my thoughts worth the while. As opposed to today when we borrow money to meet our welfare bills.
    Reagan was one of the best of the 20th century at very least.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    Sure, don't blame the Democrats who foisted it on us, blame the guy that gun owners asked to swallow hard and sign it. That makes perfect sense.

Glad it does...you asked, I answered you. Kids in your car telling you to go faster and you get a ticket...."But it was the kids officer, blame them!!!"

That makes perfect sense too.

Top Bottom