• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • possum_128

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Martinsville area
    I would say get some training before you strap on that gun again. You were wrong, very wrong in your actions. Not to sound mean or anything, but people that act like this scare the hell out of me.:rolleyes:

Blaze261

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    Read some of his post. Yea I believe it. But....:postpics:

Especially with postings like this on the nets:
    I be the maniac ki-doubble L-A

Last edited:

Chuck26287

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Dec 31, 2008
    Anderson, IN
    We are licensed to carry for personal defense or the defense of someone else who's life is threatened. As a general rule, if you are chasing the bad guy, you are not even remotely in a life threatening situation, and it's going to be difficult to claim self-defense. We are not LEOs and aprehension of persons suspected of minor crimes is not a licensed use of our handguns. Your handgun should have never left its holster.

To make matters worse, you placed a personally written account of your actions on a public gun forum. It amazes me how few people think about what they post on these forums. Rest assurred that any defense attorney that defends someone involved in a shooting is going to thoroughly investigate the person accused of shooting his client (or illegally using a handgun against his client, as was the case here). I can almost guarantee you that any posting an investigated shooter makes on a forum such as this is going to be found, reviewed and used against the shooter in any and every way possible.

"I was right on the butt end of his car with my pistol pointed at him saying "stop you ****** ****** before i ******* shoot your ***** ***" "

Your post is a written confession of violating, at the very least, the IN law against pointing a handgun at someone.

You need to truly evaluate why you are carrying a handgun. The actions you posted make you a threat to public safety (do you know why your mother always told you to NEVER run with scissors in your hand?).

One last thought of a purely selfish nature on my part... actions like this give substantial credibility to many of the arguments of those trying to take away my right to carry a handgun.

EdC

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 12, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    OP, I don't mean this in a rude or dismissive way, but take off your gun and get some training before you put it on again. (Mandatory LTCH classes anyone?;))

Militarypol21

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Noblesville, IN
    I pull out my amt 45 and start chasing after him. He didnt see me till i was right up on him and took off and hopped in his buddys car.

If some guy were running after me with a 45 I would have ran too, or shot the dude running at me in self defense. Unless you saw the guy break your window there is no proof it was him and you would have just killed someone for no reason. Even if it was him there still wasn't a good enough reason to pull your weapon and shoot. I'm not saying it was or was not him but it could have well been an innocent man walking past your vehicle at the same time you walked out and noticed your window was broke and then the guy ran "because you were running after him with your 45". I agree with the previous posts, if you plan on pulling your firearm you better be in fear of your life or someone elses and be willing to pull the trigger. If you are running after the man you aren't in fear for anyone's life and are in the wrong. I HIGHLY doubt the LEO told you you should have shot his tire out but I wasn't there. If so that LEO needs to head back to the academy. -- Not to give you a hard time, but maybe read the self defense laws in Indiana and stop and think before acting. Just my :twocents:

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    If some guy were running after me with a 45 I would have ran too, or shot the dude running at me in self defense. Unless you saw the guy break your window there is no proof it was him and you would have just killed someone for no reason. Even if it was him there still wasn't a good enough reason to pull your weapon and shoot. I'm not saying it was or was not him but it could have well been an innocent man walking past your vehicle at the same time you walked out and noticed your window was broke and then the guy ran "because you were running after him with your 45". I agree with the previous posts, if you plan on pulling your firearm you better be in fear of your life or someone elses and be willing to pull the trigger. If you are running after the man you aren't in fear for anyone's life and are in the wrong. I HIGHLY doubt the LEO told you you should have shot his tire out but I wasn't there. If so that LEO needs to head back to the academy. -- Not to give you a hard time, but maybe read the self defense laws in Indiana and stop and think before acting. Just my :twocents:

What he said^^^^^^

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Wow, I must agree you over reacted a bit there. I have had my truck broken into a couple of times and believe me that pissed me off more than anything. While I have followed people before to get plate numbers and a description which I would do again if I saw the people. I would not pull my gun in this case. Should have taken a deep breath right away and calmed down a little bit. Next time you may get in trouble and you will still have a broken window anyway. Sorry to hear about the break in.

Pale Rider

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Too Close to Home
    We are licensed to carry for personal defense or the defense of someone else who's life is threatened. As a general rule, if you are chasing the bad guy, you are not even remotely in a life threatening situation, and it's going to be difficult to claim self-defense. We are not LEOs and aprehension of persons suspected of minor crimes is not a licensed use of our handguns. Your handgun should have never left its holster.

To make matters worse, you placed a personally written account of your actions on a public gun forum. It amazes me how few people think about what they post on these forums. Rest assurred that any defense attorney that defends someone involved in a shooting is going to thoroughly investigate the person accused of shooting his client (or illegally using a handgun against his client, as was the case here). I can almost guarantee you that any posting an investigated shooter makes on a forum such as this is going to be found, reviewed and used against the shooter in any and every way possible.

"I was right on the butt end of his car with my pistol pointed at him saying "stop you ****** ****** before i ******* shoot your ***** ***" "

Your post is a written confession of violating, at the very least, the IN law against pointing a handgun at someone.

You need to truly evaluate why you are carrying a handgun. The actions you posted make you a threat to public safety (do you know why your mother always told you to NEVER run with scissors in your hand?).

One last thought of a purely selfish nature on my part... actions like this give substantial credibility to many of the arguments of those trying to take away my right to carry a handgun.

:+1:

OP,

Just because it is legal for you to carry a gun doesn't mean you should. By choosing to carry you are choosing to put a large amount of responsibility on your own shoulders. If you are not ready for that responsibility be honest with yourself and take some time to reevaluate why you carry. This does not make you un-cool or less of a man, in fact it's the opposite. Taking the time to learn the laws, some self control and some good habits is a sign of real maturity and of being a responsible adult. If you read more around here you'll see that most who carry do their best to avoid confrontations because they know how far it could escalate. They are aware of the ramifications of their actions and would rather run and phone the police than shoot someone. These are wise people, read some more and heed their wisdom.

There are some responses in this thread that come down on you pretty hard, and they should. When you choose to carry you are joining the ranks of many citizens who do, and by being a member here you are joining a brotherhood (and sisterhood) of people who can and will do their best to hold each other accountable. We have to police our own and do our best to stay unified in our defense of the 2nd Amendment, so none of those harsh comments are personal attacks. They are simply caring people who want the best for you and the gun community as a whole. Understand that your actions warrant some reprimand and be glad it is coming here and not from the legal system.

While it probably wasn't wise I'm glad you posted your story, by doing so you have given yourself and many others a learning opportunity and the chance for all of us to reflect on why we do or do not carry a gun. I wish you luck and safety, and hope my fellow INGOers will continue to help you and me both grow as responsible gun owners. :ingo:

-PFC

ezdubbin97

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2009
    Lafayette
    :+1: Very well said AirbornePFC. OP, those are good thoughts to ponder before you end up in a world of trouble at a young age.

Pale Rider

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Too Close to Home
    I do have question for the OP now that I think about it.... Was there alcohol involved? I know anytime I've played cards that late at night either red bull or alcohol was present. If you had been drinking then that is one more thing to think about next time before strapping on a gun. We have had numerous debates about drinking and carrying a firearm, and I don't want to turn this thread into one of those, but I will say, with privilege comes responsibility. (drinking and carrying a gun are more of 'rights' but let's not go there.) Think about the situations you are putting yourself, and your gun in.

EDIT: Op, don't answer my question about alcohol. I did not know you were 19 and don't want you to incriminate yourself more, just take it as more food for thought.

-PFC

Last edited:

WOLFEMAN

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    LAFAYETTE
    The second that trigger would have been pulled, at glass or
    tire, if the situation was not life threatening, I don't care what
    an officer told you, you probably would loose your gun and have
    some type of legal litigation against you.

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Way up North
    I am not saying I wouldn't have chased him around a bit, but I would have never pulled out my handgun!
    I don't like to be part of these slayings, but I think you made a bad choice here.
    I am surprised the LEO who arrived on scene didn't rip you up and down.
    Sounds like you need to work on thinking before you act.
    When he pulls a weapon or bum rushes you etc., then you take action.
    Not only would you have been wrong and illegal if you had fired... just the brandishing is questionable IMO.
    especially being 19!~ the law is already kinda shakey there.

Last edited:

Andre46996

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Hammond
    I blame video games and modern music!!

Seriously WTF were you thinking??

Please get you mindset right before strapping on a gun again, gun ownership is not about being Rambo or Billy Badass it is about responsibility.

My weapon is for protection of myself and others, but not property. Property can be replaced! How would you feel if you took a life over a broken window?

samot

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2009
    Your mamas house
    Hav i said WOW yet !! WOW !!! :n00b:
    Even if the dude knocked your window out (with you watching) & then walked over & popped you in the eye, YA STILL CANT SHOOT HIM !!!!!
    It doesnt work that way. I suggest you put your pistol up...
    If the guy you were supposedly chasing with your 45 deciced to call the rollers on you for chasing him with a firearm, i would think you would find youself in a pickle, esspecislly since you posted it on an internet forum.
    How bout agravated assault:dunno::noway:

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Way up North
    Hav i said WOW yet !! WOW !!! :n00b:
    Even if the dude knocked your window out (with you watching) & then walked over & popped you in the eye, YA STILL CANT SHOOT HIM !!!!!
    It doesnt work that way. I suggest you put your pistol up...
    If the guy you were supposedly chasing with your 45 deciced to call the rollers on you for chasing him with a firearm, i would think you would find youself in a pickle, esspecislly since you posted it on an internet forum.
    How bout agravated assault:dunno::noway:
    Well........ now if he broke my window infront of me and walked over and hit me in the eye, He would probly eat led! But nothing short of that;)

Top Bottom