Wearing a tac vest at the range, douche or not?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I was thinking about wearing a "tactical vest" at the range.Im not sure if some of you guys do that or not, im sure some people show up to the range in full battle uniform with helmet, armor, and combat boots.

Would I look like a giant douche / mall ninja if I do? :D :dunno:

(Not that I cannot look like a douche without a vest on)

I figured it's a good way to carry ammo, gear, tools, first aid (we all know about "accidents" at public ranges :n00b:) and such.
    But at the same time I guess it could be kinda silly to have all this crap on your person if there is a table with your range bag just next to you.:rolleyes:
    I guess it depends on the kind of range you go and what kind of training you do.
    Im more thinking about dynamic training on a large range and not just shooting paper while sitting behind a table.

I remenber in one thread a fellow INGO member saw guys in full tacical gear at the range and he told them how silly they looked being dressed like that.And it turned out they were cops from the local SWAT team. :):

Im talking about a vest like on the pic bellow, worn on top of regular clothing.No BDU, camo, helmet and other crap.

front.jpg

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    If its an out door range where you can move around a lot while shooting then have at it, but if you show up at a range that is indoors with tables and what not, then i think they would crown you as king of the mall ninjas.

**edit,

Sepe has a great point.

I think you should file this under the "I do what i want" out look on life, and if you wanna wear it go for it. My dad always says "its none of my business what people think of me."

Garrett

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I wouldn't see an issue with it all. Especially if you have mag holders on it and other useful items. And like sepe said..who cares what others think about it. I personally would think it is a good idea and wouldn't think different of whatever other people wore to the range.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Why be concerned with what other people think of your choices in clothing (or gear)?

Well I get your point but if I was not concerned about that at all I would just walk naked in the street. :dunno:
    So be glad that im a bit concerned about it. :):

But im not asking so much to know what people would think of me but more like to know if you guys do it or not, if you found it useful or not, and such.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    It's not a fashion show. If you're going to the range to enjoy yourself, dress up like Batman if that's what makes you happy. Who cares what anyone else thinks?

Garrett

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Indianapolis
    If I could fully utilize the use of say my plate carrier with Mag holders and Sidearm at a range then I would wear it yes. However most ranges are not going to let me fully "utilize" it. What I mean by this, if I could practice rapid fire, mag changes, switch from side arm to primary, etc. However when Im down state in the middle of the cornfields, then yes I shall wear it as I can fully utilize it.

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    I can remember several times in my life, when the decision wether or not to wear / buy some clothing item was....

"Will I look like a total douchebag in this?"

The answer was usually..... Yes. :) Or close enough that it was still on the Douche end of the sliding scale.

Would probably opt out of the crossdraw holster in either case.

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    Since it is close to St. Patrick's day you must wear only a bright Green "tactical vests". All other colors would be inappropriate.

And Remember never wear white after labor day!!!!

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    A simple saying that holds true in so many situations .."let your conscience be your guide".

(Even though this issue isnt strictly a matter of conscience, if you think it's the right thing to do and you're not infringing on any body else, who cares?!)

SaintsNSinners

Shooter
    Rating - 94.1%
    16   1   0
    Mar 3, 2012
    At Work in Indy
    Wear whats comfortable to you. So long as it isnt hot pants and a tac vest. if you think you can gain something from a tac vest have at it. When I go to the range I generally shoot real world self defense. If I have to defend my self im not going to be all Socom'd out with throat mics and tac vests or any of that tacticool stuff. Odds are If I am having to defend myself I am either going to be in a Suit and Tie (work) or or a t-shirt and jeans with a skoal ring.

So some trips to the range I go in jeans and a tshirt and other times I wear my suit. As silly as it might look to others I will be the guy on the line in a 3 piece suit because that is what I need to develop a comfort in.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    Well I get your point but if I was not concerned about that at all I would just walk naked in the street. :dunno:
    So be glad that im a bit concerned about it. :):

But im not asking so much to know what people would think of me but more like to know if you guys do it or not, if you found it useful or not, and such.

Walk through the streets naked, I don't care. I wouldn't even take a second glance. I figure if the vest is something you'd want to use in a SHTF situation or in a survival type situation, train while wearing it if you want. The opinions of others mean very little.

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    If he's following all safety rules, I couldn't care less if he chooses to shoot in a $3000 business suit, or saggy jeans and a tank top.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Walk through the streets naked, I don't care. I wouldn't even take a second glance. I figure if the vest is something you'd want to use in a SHTF situation or in a survival type situation, train while wearing it if you want. The opinions of others mean very little.

:rockwoot:

On my way!
    I will tell the judge you made me do it. :D

Im not going to wear it all the time, like some have said it's important to train with what you wear everyday.

Top Bottom