Wearing a tac vest at the range, douche or not?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Walk through the streets naked, I don't care. I wouldn't even take a second glance. I figure if the vest is something you'd want to use in a SHTF situation or in a survival type situation, train while wearing it if you want. The opinions of others mean very little.

What sepe says. I wear a lot of different things to the range to try out, so that I am familiar with what a student might be using. Other than that, what I wear is what I am most likely to use in situations that I might need my gun for. For me, this is not a armored up tac vest and single point sling, for others, it might be. We have people come to class fully kitted out, or using their pockets to hold their spare mags. As long as it is not unsafe, rock on brother.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I had been in search of something to hold my magazines for my 9mm AR and pistol for a while. I finally found one at the Raven booth at the last 1500. I finally got a chance to wear it for FNS and got a few odd looks, but I'm not one that cares what the "cool guys" do. Wear what you want and most likely those who laugh at you will be the one's pulling you aside asking you where you found it.

By the way, I have one very similar to the one above, except it's black. If you are interested, send me a PM and I will make you an awesome deal.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    Hot brass on nipples? :dunno:

I've had hot brass find its way down my hoodie. It stayed on the outside of my wife beater. That was bad enough. Since then, I wear a regular undershirt under my hoodie when I'm at certain ranges (where the divider deflects the brass back at you). If you plan on shooting naked, I'd suggest that you don't shoot seated at the bench. One hot piece of brass finding its way to your twig and berries, you'll be having a rough night.

DadOfFour

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Wear what you want, however as SaintsNSinners said, most range shooting is training for real life self defense shooting. I don't wear my tac vest when I take my kids to the movies, or my girlfriend to dinner, so I don't wear it at the range. I wear what I "normally" wear when I'm at the range. Now, when I'm running through my buddy's "kill house" out west then yeah I'll sometimes wear my tac gear. I'll also run the house in "normal" clothes as it's good practice for the come home and find a door/window open type situation, again I'll be wearing street clothes, so that's what I practice in.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I've had hot brass find its way down my hoodie. It stayed on the outside of my wife beater. That was bad enough. Since then, I wear a regular undershirt under my hoodie when I'm at certain ranges (where the divider deflects the brass back at you). If you plan on shooting naked, I'd suggest that you don't shoot seated at the bench. One hot piece of brass finding its way to your twig and berries, you'll be having a rough night.

:):

I dont plan on shooting naked for now.I dont want to imagine how I would have to hold my spare mags.

I try to wear a scarf at the range so that the brass does not find its way down my shirt or hoodie.

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Don't do it, Sylvain. Not because you'll look like a douche to other people, but you'll look like a douche to yourself. Yes, you know this, otherwise you wouldn't even be asking. There is a little mall ninja inside you screaming to get out. Let the sensible Sylvain prevail.

Bert

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Shelbyville
    Wear whats comfortable to you. So long as it isnt hot pants and a tac vest. if you think you can gain something from a tac vest have at it. When I go to the range I generally shoot real world self defense. If I have to defend my self im not going to be all Socom'd out with throat mics and tac vests or any of that tacticool stuff. Odds are If I am having to defend myself I am either going to be in a Suit and Tie (work) or or a t-shirt and jeans with a skoal ring.

So some trips to the range I go in jeans and a tshirt and other times I wear my suit. As silly as it might look to others I will be the guy on the line in a 3 piece suit because that is what I need to develop a comfort in.
    whats wrong with hot pants and a tac vest ?

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Sepe, See what you've done?!?!? This can't end well...

leopard-naked-man-arrest.jpg

xdmstu

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    Lower NE Indy
    If we were at Eagle Creek, I would assume you're military or police doing some training. I'd probably eventually wander over and strike up a conversation.

If I found out you're not military or police... after the awkward silence that would followed... I would slowly back away, avoiding eye contact, and nonchalantly move my gear to the next lane farther over.

:D

Now if we were at FNS or a training... I'd ask to borrow it.

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    I've worn tac gear several times to the range while prepping myself or others for a deployment. FUDs usually give us the stinky eye. As long as the shooter is being safe, I'm fine with it.

Top Bottom