• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • slackerisme

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    Just north of Ft. Wayne
    This story starts about two years ago, I started getting calls to my repair shop from a fella that wanted to trade me for a copy of software. It sounded shady so I passed. About six months later I see this fella got picked up by the po-po for possession of a controlled substance (meth). I patted myself on my back for my excellent judge of character and moved on.

Fast forward to a year later and I end up working with this guys brother (stand up guy, nothing like his brother). He goes on to tell me that his father was on disability and now his brother is as well. He throws in his observation that there is nothing wrong with either one. So I chime in and say something to the effect of "well that all changed with the meth possession charge right?" he says no.

So we have generations of people in my area (NE Indiana) that are on disability, without an actual disability, who have been convicted of spending our money on meth. Welfare is a GD cancer, it needs stopped.
    :twocents:

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    It's like anything else, people abuse it. Some really need it and I'm fine with them getting some help in their time of need. A lot just abuse it.

I was in Kroger not too long ago and saw something that made me shake my head. The couple in front of me in the check out were both dressed well, both appeared to be perfectly healthy, probably mid-30s. They began loading up the belt with steaks, chips, soda, candy, etc. that ended up totaling around $100 or so. They proceeded to pay for it all with one of those food stamp debit cards. After I pay for my items and walk out, I see them loading up the groceries into a newer model SUV, while smoking cigarettes, parked in a handicapped spot, and drive out of the parking lot. Aside from the observations I could make I didn't know anything about them, but it sure didn't appear that they needed the help.

Welfare is fine in theory, just sad that people abuse it.

slackerisme

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    Just north of Ft. Wayne
    I think that is the issue, its ripe for abuse. Allow communities to handle welfare, when your neighbor is buying your groceries, you'll have a much harder time explaining that meth purchase (or smokes, beer, etc.)

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Welfare and disability are the two most abused programs this government has ever developed. 50% of those on disability shouldn't be and 85% on welfare are perfectly capable of work, just too lazy to do so. You'll hear me ***** about both programs regularly because if they were both put under rigid scrutiny this country would be in much better financial shape.

mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    Here are my theories on the current assistance programs:

Welfare - I understand people need a helping hand at some point in their life, and sometimes family cant be there to do it. To which there is a public program in place to help. You know thats great, I have no problem helping a family that is a little down on their luck while one of the adults is out of work, and looking. I would have no problem handing them the check myself. But you get deadbeats that are having kids, just to get a little more bank while they sit at home, with no goals or plans of obtaining a job. I think that if you are on welfare, you need to pay it back in some way, whether it be volunteering at a homeless shelter, helping do a little work at a park, volunteer in an animal shelter, or anything really that would better the community. Personally, I believe in working for what I got, so I would feel a little better about getting assistance if I did a little something to earn it. Drug testing should be MANDATORY, NO EXCEPTIONS! You pee once a month, and can be randomly selected at ANY TIME, unannounced to pee. Dont like it, dont get assistance!

HUD - My family has some rental properties, and deal with HUD. Some of them folks are straight up dirty. I think that there should be random home inspections to make sure that you are maintaining a clean enviroment. First offense is a warning, second offense is the boot, and ban from obtaining assistance from HUD again! Again, I think there should be some sort of volunteer time with your community, again, institute drug testing, see above policy about it.

Disability - If one wants to be put on disability, they must qualify to do so with a doctor that is provided by local government, not any ol doctor, because we all know some doctors will write the papers (good and bad in every profession, know what I mean?). Again, drug testing. These people, just because they are on disability, can still help in some way. If they cant stand for a long period of time, have them help somewhere in the community that doesnt require standing for a long period of time.
    I also understand, some are truly unable to work, due to accident, etc. I have a friend whos sister is really messed up from a drunk driver hitting her, and she barely gets anything due to not paying into federal programs very long (she was around 20 when it happened). In this case, the drunk ******* who did this should be footing the bill. He made the poor choice to go out drunk, and really mess someone up, and its HIS RESPONSIBILITY to take care of her!

I could go on all day about my ideas and feelings about these programs, but no one wants to hear it. I also may have stepped on someone's toes, but it happens, its called free speech, thank you Constitution!

-MColford

45calibre

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    NWI
    all forms of welfare/aid are very much abused. there are countless times that i have heard things about some girl being pregnant and her reply being " well now i can go to college for free".

even more times i have heard of people that i know claiming kids that are not theirs on their tax return because the childs parents were not working so they split some money with them. ridiculous.

i can not for the life of me see how SO MANY younger people just have kids at random, with no finances backing them up. i can not see how they dont realize that if there were no welfare their children would most likely starve to death.

up here in NWI mostly all local corner stores have a "we accept link card" sign outside. ridiculous.

bertenshaw

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2011
    wales uk
    The situation in the UK would make you cry. Up untill the last year or so, locally, there was plenty of work. I do believe that people who really are unable to work should be supported. I believe people who have always worked and are unfortunately made redundant should be helped back to work quickly and given enough to pay their way in the mean-time. Those who will not work, well, ......
    I believe the last UK government were actually buying bum voters by keeping them sweet.

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Here's a better idea.

Welfare - go ask your family, friends, and church for money while you need a hand up. Repay them as soon as you can. Be there to help the next person close to you in trouble when they need help. Rince and repeat.

HUD - If you can't afford a place of your own get a roommate(s). If you still can't afford it move into mom and dad's basement. Keep it clean. Wash the dishes every day as a reminder of what to do when you have a place of your own.

Disability - see welfare above.

Here are my theories on the current assistance programs:

Welfare - I understand people need a helping hand at some point in their life, and sometimes family cant be there to do it. To which there is a public program in place to help. You know thats great, I have no problem helping a family that is a little down on their luck while one of the adults is out of work, and looking. I would have no problem handing them the check myself. But you get deadbeats that are having kids, just to get a little more bank while they sit at home, with no goals or plans of obtaining a job. I think that if you are on welfare, you need to pay it back in some way, whether it be volunteering at a homeless shelter, helping do a little work at a park, volunteer in an animal shelter, or anything really that would better the community. Personally, I believe in working for what I got, so I would feel a little better about getting assistance if I did a little something to earn it. Drug testing should be MANDATORY, NO EXCEPTIONS! You pee once a month, and can be randomly selected at ANY TIME, unannounced to pee. Dont like it, dont get assistance!

HUD - My family has some rental properties, and deal with HUD. Some of them folks are straight up dirty. I think that there should be random home inspections to make sure that you are maintaining a clean enviroment. First offense is a warning, second offense is the boot, and ban from obtaining assistance from HUD again! Again, I think there should be some sort of volunteer time with your community, again, institute drug testing, see above policy about it.

Disability - If one wants to be put on disability, they must qualify to do so with a doctor that is provided by local government, not any ol doctor, because we all know some doctors will write the papers (good and bad in every profession, know what I mean?). Again, drug testing. These people, just because they are on disability, can still help in some way. If they cant stand for a long period of time, have them help somewhere in the community that doesnt require standing for a long period of time.
    I also understand, some are truly unable to work, due to accident, etc. I have a friend whos sister is really messed up from a drunk driver hitting her, and she barely gets anything due to not paying into federal programs very long (she was around 20 when it happened). In this case, the drunk ******* who did this should be footing the bill. He made the poor choice to go out drunk, and really mess someone up, and its HIS RESPONSIBILITY to take care of her!

I could go on all day about my ideas and feelings about these programs, but no one wants to hear it. I also may have stepped on someone's toes, but it happens, its called free speech, thank you Constitution!

-MColford

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Here's a better idea.

Welfare - go ask your family, friends, and church for money while you need a hand up. Repay them as soon as you can. Be there to help the next person close to you in trouble when they need help. Rince and repeat.

HUD - If you can't afford a place of your own get a roommate(s). If you still can't afford it move into mom and dad's basement. Keep it clean. Wash the dishes every day as a reminder of what to do when you have a place of your own.

Disability - see welfare above.

Ah, good thoughts, but you see, it is not their goal to strengthen churches and families and communities. Such people don't need anything from the government and don't see any reason for its bureaucracies.

People like that only need the government for a very few things... keep a few records, lock up criminals, and... um... uhhh...

serpicostraight

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    The situation in the UK would make you cry. Up untill the last year or so, locally, there was plenty of work. I do believe that people who really are unable to work should be supported. I believe people who have always worked and are unfortunately made redundant should be helped back to work quickly and given enough to pay their way in the mean-time. Those who will not work, well, ......
    I believe the last UK government were actually buying bum voters by keeping them sweet.
    i was in essex england from 1980-1983 the jobs then were few and far between. from what ive heard its not much better now. is wales ecomomy better than englands?

.40caltrucker

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    People on welfare think the govt owes them. I just had a discussion with my older brother tonight, and probably p***ed him off when I said there should be no welfare, earned income credit, child tax credit, etc, etc. Him and his wife have always been on welfare, and he thought since taxes come out of his check he pays for it. :rolleyes: I asked him how much he got back last year on his refund, and how much he payed in. Then he realized he don't pay taxes and has a negative tax rate around 40%. I told him we should add in his welfare for 4 kids and medicaid to see just how much more he gets back from the govt but it would really P*** me off so lets not bother.

bertenshaw

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2011
    wales uk
    i was in essex england from 1980-1983 the jobs then were few and far between. from what ive heard its not much better now. is wales ecomomy better than englands?

Hi. Wales's enconomy isn't as good as the more successfull parts of England. I've always though getting a job in the South East was no problem though!
    I had to move to London to get my first job on the railways, but was only there for six months.
    Even now I see job's offered in the little stores around here.

dukeboy_318

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    in la la land
    People on welfare think the govt owes them. I just had a discussion with my older brother tonight, and probably p***ed him off when I said there should be no welfare, earned income credit, child tax credit, etc, etc. Him and his wife have always been on welfare, and he thought since taxes come out of his check he pays for it. :rolleyes: I asked him how much he got back last year on his refund, and how much he payed in. Then he realized he don't pay taxes and has a negative tax rate around 40%. I told him we should add in his welfare for 4 kids and medicaid to see just how much more he gets back from the govt but it would really P*** me off so lets not bother.

i know the feeling. got the same issue with my sister in law and brother in law. granted they both work, shes working 2 part time jobs but its what they spend money on that annoys the family. shes 27, hes in his upper 40s. They have a 4 yr and a new born They are basically living low rent at a house mommy and step-daddy own and restored. Mommy is buying the diapers they need for their kids, They have a huge 64 inch plasma tv, multiple electronic goodies and game systems. satelite tv and are on food stamps and medicade. They just bought 2 used 2006 ford crown vics from a police department and got rid of a perfectly good old truck that was in better mechanical shape then the crown vics. he wastes hundreds of dollars on model train stuff, if not thousands and they just dropped 900 bucks on a gas powered remote control car but then expect people to babysit for free cause they dont have the cash? They are nice people just irresponsible with money and take the easy/fun way out everytime.

My better half doesnt understand why I no longer like being around her sister and such and its because since I was 17, Ive had to scrap and get by with whatever I had or could come up with legally. Never been late on a payment on anything and Ive never had to accept welfare or medicade. Ive got a crappy job but I make just enough to feed and house myself and my wife. I dont have alot of spare cash, I just make sure the bills get paid before buying any toys. Not a bash against people who are on welfare because they truly need it but there are people who abuse the privelege and should b kicked off it and I swear if it wasnt for my niece and nephew, Id report them.

mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    I truly wish there was a way that these deadbeats could have their government assistance removed without it putting the children in danger of not being properly cared for! Under NO circumstance do I want to see a child go without proper care, but too many adults (note I do not refer to them as parents) would continue to live these lifestyles of all the extras in life, and the children would suffer.

zombiehunter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    New Castle, IN
    They don't tell me how to live my life so i don't tell them how to live theirs. I know a few people on welfare but as I see it, they are just getting their money back!

2 people I know have worked since the age of 18 (a total of 13 years, hardly EVER missing a day of work) and are now barely making ends meet.....if they need government assistance, then so be it! They paid their taxes just like anyone else, so they aren't using YOUR money, they are getting their OWN money back!

Its one thing to need assistance, it's another to abuse the system and keep popping out babies to get more money from the government (as I'm sure we've all seen at some point in our life).

When I see people loading up chips, pop, candy, steaks, etc....paying with food stamp card and then getting into a nice car, I don't even bat an eye. Who's to say it's their car? Where are their guidelines saying what they can and can't buy? Why should you be able to judge what they buy and what they don't? Are you the food police? What constitutes as food they should be "allowed" to buy?

I once stood behind a man and woman in line with a cart full of chips, pop, candy, and paid with a food stamp card. The ONLY thing that came to mind was "man, they are buying food that probably won't even last them a week....they'll be out of money for the rest of the month spending like that". I didn't care what they were buying because frankly, it isn't any of my damn business. If it were me tho, I would have been buying sustainable foods like canned goods, beans, rice, pasta, etc.....stuff that will last the month instead of just "comfort food" that will last a week. JMHO!

I guess I just don't worry about things as much as other people do!

bighop1

Plinker
    Rating - 98.8%
    79   1   0
    Dec 29, 2009
    i am not the food police just one of the many paying for people who are capable of working and wont changes have to be made this cant last

Armed Eastsider

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2010
    I once stood behind a man and woman in line with a cart full of chips, pop, candy, and paid with a food stamp card. The ONLY thing that came to mind was "man, they are buying food that probably won't even last them a week....they'll be out of money for the rest of the month spending like that". I didn't care what they were buying because frankly, it isn't any of my damn business.

If you are an American taxpayer then yes it is your business.

Top Bottom