West Side Outdoor Range Recommendations?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nucular

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Looking for a good club to join near the west side that allows both pistol and centerfire rifle. I know of at least Marion County Fish/Game and Danville conservation club but don't know much about them. I would appreciate any feedback or recommendations.

BJHay

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2019
    Crawfordsville
    It may be further than you want to go but the Crawfordsville Conservation Club has a 100-yard rifle range with roofed concrete benches and handgun ranges. It's a nice range and not expensive but about 30 minutes from the Danville club and about 40 minutes from Eagle Creek. Call Crawfordsville Tactical Supply and ask for Eric if you want details. He's the club president.

nucular

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Brownsburg
    It may be further than you want to go but the Crawfordsville Conservation Club has a 100-yard rifle range with roofed concrete benches and handgun ranges. It's a nice range and not expensive but about 30 minutes from the Danville club and about 40 minutes from Eagle Creek. Call Crawfordsville Tactical Supply and ask for Eric if you want details. He's the club president.
    That's only 30 minutes from me so definitely doable. Going through the rules, it looks like only pistols on the pistol range and only rifles on the rifle range so probably don't allow rifle/pistol transition training on either range.

1693488175985.png

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Proteq out in Brazil is worth the drive. Its right at 60 minutes from the Indy airport exit. When I go I spend hours there.

MCFG does NOT allow any center fire rifle. So scratch that one off your list.
    I would say this though. Proteq and MCF&G are both inexpensive enough that you can join both.

MCF&G: https://indyrange.net/ as @Cameramonkey mentioned, no centerfire rifle calibers, but they do have a couple of bays where you could use a PDW or something like a 15-22 to practice some pistol to rifle transitions, etc.

Proteq: http://www.proteqrange.net/

(their website is a bit crazy, but check out this video:

and there have been several improvements since that video was done. I recently joined after attending an INGO open shoot (and talking to @Cameramonkey and @Haven about it and experiencing the range during that Open INGO shoot). I did the premium membership.

You could do transitions from pistol to rifle in the Multi-Purpose Range (MPR) http://www.proteqrange.net/Ranges.html

nucular

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Brownsburg
    I would say this though. Proteq and MCF&G are both inexpensive enough that you can join both.

MCF&G: https://indyrange.net/ as @Cameramonkey mentioned, no centerfire rifle calibers, but they do have a couple of bays where you could use a PDW or something like a 15-22 to practice some pistol to rifle transitions, etc.

and there have been several improvements since that video was done. I recently joined after attending an INGO open shoot (and talking to @Cameramonkey and @Haven about it and experiencing the range during that Open INGO shoot). I did the premium membership.

You could do transitions from pistol to rifle in the Multi-Purpose Range (MPR) http://www.proteqrange.net/Ranges.html

That does look super nice. Might be worth the hour+ drive. May got out and do a day this weekend to see how it is.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    That does look super nice. Might be worth the hour+ drive. May got out and do a day this weekend to see how it is.
    I'm sure you are free to go take a peek on all parts of the range before you sign up. You can only shoot in the West valley with a day pass though. You'll want the Premium membership. Add on the steel challenge if you shoot that and want to practice between matches.

EDIT: take cash or a check for the membership. You can leave those in a drop box at the registration kiosk and save the 3% CC fee.

I shoot almost exclusively in the south valley, unless I'm doing something quick and something is going on over in the south valley.

Last edited:

BJHay

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2019
    Crawfordsville
    That's only 30 minutes from me so definitely doable. Going through the rules, it looks like only pistols on the pistol range and only rifles on the rifle range so probably don't allow rifle/pistol transition training on either range.
    Call Crawfordsville Tactical Supply and ask for Eric if you want details. He's the club president.
    Consider giving Eric a call. CTS is the local gun store so he "gets it". Tell him what you have in mind and see if the range can accommodate you.

I've seen pistols on the 100-yard range once before but the firing line moved forward toward the berm They have a serious concern about bullets skipping off the ground and over the berms. Of course, a lot of the rules are dictated by the insurance company and those can't be flexed.

aconcealedlife

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 9, 2023
    USA
    MCFG you would not be able to practice transitions, even if you had an approved caliber rifle. They are very strict on the rules. There are also a lot of hoops to jump through to join. On the website they have the pages of rules and approved calibers. We recently joined and are happy to have an outdoor range but were disappointed about the things we cannot do or shoot. However, I get the rules given they are in Marion County. It is cheap so if you want somewhere to go shoot, it’s a nice option to have.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    MCFG you would not be able to practice transitions, even if you had an approved caliber rifle. They are very strict on the rules. There are also a lot of hoops to jump through to join. On the website they have the pages of rules and approved calibers. We recently joined and are happy to have an outdoor range but were disappointed about the things we cannot do or shoot. However, I get the rules given they are in Marion County. It is cheap so if you want somewhere to go shoot, it’s a nice option to have.
    Yeah, they are REALLY rule heavy there. Stupid heavy. I know a guy who got reprimanded for carrying a pistol back to the table empty with the slide locked back, muzzle pointed at the ground. He got fed up with them and chose not to renew.

Refrigerator27

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 18, 2022
    Noblesville

View attachment 296277
    If you’re looking for a place for rifle/pistol, your best bet is joining Atlanta Conservation Club. They allow you to move and shoot there in their private bays

aconcealedlife

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 9, 2023
    USA
    Yeah, they are REALLY rule heavy there. Stupid heavy. I know a guy who got reprimanded for carrying a pistol back to the table empty with the slide locked back, muzzle pointed at the ground. He got fed up with them and chose not to renew.
    Oh they gave us that example in the “safety brief” and I thought this was overkill. Meanwhile the “safety officer” was flagging all us with the blue gun. We were also given differing rules between him and the “class” we had to take. Plus, the written rules are very much open to interpretation. I can understand why anyone would easily “break” a rule innocently.

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Oh they gave us that example in the “safety brief” and I thought this was overkill. Meanwhile the “safety officer” was flagging all us with the blue gun. We were also given differing rules between him and the “class” we had to take. Plus, the written rules are very much open to interpretation. I can understand why anyone would easily “break” a rule innocently.
    I've generally been left alone for the most part, especially in the bays.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I'd love to hear their justification for that one. Exactly how is a CLEARLY unloaded, out of battery pistol pointed in a safe direction a safety issue?

aconcealedlife

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 9, 2023
    USA
    I've generally been left alone for the most part, especially in the bays.
    That’s where we stick to as well but the example the user above said and when this came up in the brief, were the bays.
    I'd love to hear their justification for that one. Exactly how is a CLEARLY unloaded, out of battery pistol pointed in a safe direction a safety issue?
    The only acceptable answer to them apparently is that the weapon should have been holstered and this person did not have one.

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    That’s where we stick to as well but the example the user above said and when this came up in the brief, were the bays.

The only acceptable answer to them apparently is that the weapon should have been holstered and this person did not have one.
    Understood, just generally saying. I've maybe had one of the club officers come out and say something one time, over a period of several years. I updated my practice to generally conform to what was advised, and haven't had any issues.

Like the other situation, nothing being done was unsafe, but took it in stride.

Was just out there today. It's a fairly close range, where I can shoot some basic steel when I don't want to drive all the way to Proteq.

jp411

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2023
    Indianapolis

Thanks for this info! I was looking for an outdoor range.

Barry in IN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2008
    I want to mention the Danville Conservation Club. It has a reputation here as being a Fudd Club and I can't say that's completely undeserved.
    A big negative to a lot of people is the No Rapid Fire rule due to being in the middle of town, between a park and a hospital.

A big plus to the club is it's handy. It's close to a lot of people.

I also belong to Riley where I can shoot anything, as fast as I can control it, and use a much longer rifle range, but I shoot at Danville a lot more because it's five times closer to me.

Convenience can mean a lot. It can also make a guy put up with things he might not otherwise.

Danville allows any rifle up to .50BMG. The berms are at 50 feet and 25/50/100 yards.
    The only matches we hold now are BR-50 (.22 Benchrest) and a winter indoor air gun league. The 3-Second Rule eliminates almost anything else.

I wouldn't worry too much about it being crowded. To be honest, the range doesn't see as much use as I think it should. I've gone out on beautiful days expecting it to be busy and had the place to myself. I really think a lot of members join for the scenery. I see people drive in, eat lunch at the lake, and leave. Seems costly for a park to me, but whatever.

We also have the lake and space for archery.

The other negative, and a big one, is the dues are high IMO. The truth is we got real short on money a few years ago after some surprise expenses hit close together (clubhouse plumbing and roof, repaving, etc) and dues doubled from $100 to $200/year. I'm hoping that gets lowered soon.

Membership was closed for many years and didn't really loosen up until the dues increase. I often hear from people who think we are full up but that's not the case. That's why I wanted to post this, to help clear that up. I'm guessing we have around 30-35 spots open right now.

dccsafety.com

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    I want to mention the Danville Conservation Club. It has a reputation here as being a Fudd Club and I can't say that's completely undeserved.
    A big negative to a lot of people is the No Rapid Fire rule due to being in the middle of town, between a park and a hospital.

A big plus to the club is it's handy. It's close to a lot of people.

I also belong to Riley where I can shoot anything, as fast as I can control it, and use a much longer rifle range, but I shoot at Danville a lot more because it's five times closer to me.

Convenience can mean a lot. It can also make a guy put up with things he might not otherwise.

Danville allows any rifle up to .50BMG. The berms are at 50 feet and 25/50/100 yards.
    The only matches we hold now are BR-50 (.22 Benchrest) and a winter indoor air gun league. The 3-Second Rule eliminates almost anything else.

I wouldn't worry too much about it being crowded. To be honest, the range doesn't see as much use as I think it should. I've gone out on beautiful days expecting it to be busy and had the place to myself. I really think a lot of members join for the scenery. I see people drive in, eat lunch at the lake, and leave. Seems costly for a park to me, but whatever.

We also have the lake and space for archery.

The other negative, and a big one, is the dues are high IMO. The truth is we got real short on money a few years ago after some surprise expenses hit close together (clubhouse plumbing and roof, repaving, etc) and dues doubled from $100 to $200/year. I'm hoping that gets lowered soon.

Membership was closed for many years and didn't really loosen up until the dues increase. I often hear from people who think we are full up but that's not the case. That's why I wanted to post this, to help clear that up. I'm guessing we have around 30-35 spots open right now.

dccsafety.com
    I was a member there about 9 years ago. I really, really wanted to like it because it’s close to me. The President at the time came across as really over-the-top. I only ended up going a handful of times because the 3-second rule made most handgun practice a waste of time. The place has so much potential, so hopefully it’s gotten better and can continue that trajectory.

Top Bottom