What .22 handgun should I buy? Suggestions wanted!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Goober135

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Valparaiso
    Hello everyone! I've recently been mulling around the idea of buying a .22 handgun, as I do not own one yet. :( I'm not horribly picky, but I am looking for some specifics. Below I will list the "wants" I desire in a .22 handgun. Based on these wants, please suggest the .22 handgun you see as the most fitting and why! :D

Wants:
    • Semi-Automatic
    • Threaded Barrel (Kestrel 5.56 on the way! :rockwoot:)
    • Full Size (Not a "pocket pistol")
    • Reasonably Priced
    • Fairly Accurate
    • Reliable
    Granted, I know that cheap, accurate, & reliable don't exactly fall into the same category, but I'm looking for a happy medium of the three. ;)

The two .22 handguns I've done the most research on are the Walther P22 & GSG 1911. From what I've read, both do a good job of filling all my "wants". The only thing that may turn me away from the GSG 1911 is that I tend to avoid buying multiple guns of the same model and I already have a Springfield GI 1911. Then again, can one really have too many 1911's? :): In addition to my SA 1911, I also have a Beretta 96FS & a Bersa Thunder Plus, all of which I've seen similar models made in .22 form. Of the three models, I think I'd be most likely to get another 1911. Finally, my only other partiality is that every single handgun I own is full metal. I don't have any huge opposition to plastic, but I just haven't shot one that I really liked. :dunno:

So what other recommendations do y'all have for me? I am still VERY open to suggestion! Let's hear it! :popcorn:

Thanks!
    John :ingo:

Last edited:

Goober135

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Valparaiso

You know, I was really thinking about a handgun in that style, but I'm just not a huge fan of it's "look". Although, envisioning that handgun in my mind with a cool sight, suppressor, and other "fun" accessories; I may be coming around to it! ;)

This video may have just sold me...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtenI4zMwWM[/ame]

MSRP is $439 on the 22/45. Any idea how much below MSRP a shop is going to charge? (GunGenie, my go to price checker, doesn't have them in stock)

Last edited:

Goober135

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Valparaiso
    Ruger Mark 3 with tactical solutions threaded upper.

I'm entirely new to these kind of handguns. What makes the Mark 3 better than the 22/45? And what kind of price difference would I be looking at? :dunno:

Although I haven't made a decision on a .22 handgun yet, I've been doing some research on Ruger MKIII's and 22/45's. So far, I've found a brand new 22/45 w/ threaded barrel and rails for around $350 + FFL fee. Is that a good or bad price? :dunno:

Last edited:

hopper68

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Pike County
    You need to go to your lgs and handle both the 22/45 and markIII and see which grip angle suits you better. Both are good guns. A word of caution: Both guns can be a bear to disassemble/assemble until you get used to them.

Goober135

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Valparaiso
    You need to go to your lgs and handle both the 22/45 and markIII and see which grip angle suits you better. Both are good guns. A word of caution: Both guns can be a bear to disassemble/assemble until you get used to them.

Good point. I'm guessing that I'm going to like the 22/45 better since it resembles the feel of a 1911, which I love. I've heard the take down issues, but I'm sure it won't be something I can't handle. :D

I'm surprised the Ruger suggestion has taken off and not the vote for a GSG 1911. I will say tough, I'm definitely starting to lean towards a Ruger!

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    Beretta Neos - I think the threaded barrel would be an aftermarket addon, but they're supremely accurate, reasonably priced, and about as easy to break down as they come..

Goober135

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Valparaiso
    Beretta Neos - I think the threaded barrel would be an aftermarket addon, but they're supremely accurate, reasonably priced, and about as easy to break down as they come..

Just looked that up. And I thought the Ruger's were strange looking! :):

I'll definitely have to do some research on it though! Thanks! :)

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Ruger 22/45 with cocobolo grips realy enhances the look and the feel. $300 w/o the threaded barrel.

The SR22 will have threaded barrels available, give them time.

daspurlock

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    I'm entirely new to these kind of handguns. What makes the Mark 3 better than the 22/45? And what kind of price difference would I be looking at? :dunno:

Although I haven't made a decision on a .22 handgun yet, I've been doing some research on Ruger MKIII's and 22/45's. So far, I've found a brand new 22/45 w/ threaded barrel and rails for around $350 + FFL fee. Is that a good or bad price? :dunno:
    Not sure what the difference is either! But I have a Ruger 22/45 and it's also say's MKIII on it. Would like to hear the difference myself.

Rollerman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 1, 2012
    Goshen
    No mention of the Browning Buckmark pistols.

Might want to check the online sights for the Smith&Wesson 422, 622 & 2206 models, I've seen them listed with threaded barrels & or complete with supressors.
    The Smiths wouldn't be "new" pistols, but they are good shooters & with the low barrel design a supressor won't interfear with the sights, if it were a larger diameter than the barrel.

Jpfledderer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2012
    Westside
    22-45 Ruger Mark iii, drop a Vulquartsen Mark ii kit in and rock on. I've had mine for about three months. Pretty sweet setup. Very nice trigger pull. That's what I would look for. I talked to Bob at PSS yesterday and he said the Rugers are getting back ordered. I have a P22 also and I wouldn't compare it to the Ruger.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    The SR22 will have threaded barrels available, give them time.

But hard telling when they'll be available. That could be all the way out in October. Ruger is backordered so bad and they can't even produce their current line up in a timely matter.

No mention of the Browning Buckmark pistols.
    :rockwoot:

Browning did make a Camper Whisper for an online distributer, limited quantities so they might not be easy to find, but they're out there.

But, you could get a standard Camper (if you can find one) and get a Tactical Solutions barrel for it.

You can get the Sig Mosquito with a threaded barrel.

At the moment, some rimfire pistols are hard to find. They're backordered real bad and since ammo prices are increasing, 22 pistols are selling more.

Top Bottom