What .22 handgun should I buy? Suggestions wanted!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jaybird_123

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Just around the corner.
    I bought the Ruger Mark lll and LOVE it. 6" tapered barrel. Was under $300. Wonderfully accurate. Thinking about getting another one in the 4" barrel. Try one out if you can, I bet you would be sold.

DialTone301

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    East Central IL
    We bought the Mark 3 instead of the 22/45 since the daughter wanted all stainless. She also wanted specific grips (to match her Tac Sol upper) that weren't available for the 22/45.

85t5mcss

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Zionsville-NW Indy
    Guess I need to get out and check on the Rugers, too. I shot the SR22 and liked the way it felt and is similar to the P22 I have. But too small for my comfort. Currently looking into the GSG/Sig 22s because I do like my 1911s. Handle as many as possible and we won't blame you if you end up with 2 22LR pistols.

Goober135

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Valparaiso
    Guess I need to get out and check on the Rugers, too. I shot the SR22 and liked the way it felt and is similar to the P22 I have. But too small for my comfort. Currently looking into the GSG/Sig 22s because I do like my 1911s. Handle as many as possible and we won't blame you if you end up with 2 22LR pistols.

That seems quite likely! The Ruger seems like the winner for my first .22 handgun, but I definitely wouldn't mind getting a GSG 1911 or Walther P22 at some point...

Anyone know a store who has 22/45's in stock and for a reasonable price?

greyhound47

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    I have the M&P22 pistol and it is fantastic. You can get them around $370 and they come with a threaded barrel. If you also have an M&P9 or 40 this is a great training aid. This is why I bought it.

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    Ruger Mark III has a sharper angled grip, it's more like a Luger.
    The 22/45 has a grip angle like a 1911.
    Both excellent pieces.
    BudsGunShop.com usually has a selection in stock.
    Or Kyguns.com

KW12

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2012
    Northside Indy
    That seems quite likely! The Ruger seems like the winner for my first .22 handgun, but I definitely wouldn't mind getting a GSG 1911 or Walther P22 at some point...

Anyone know a store who has 22/45's in stock and for a reasonable price?
    Got one from PSS about three weeks ago, they still had some in stock.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Beretta Neos - I think the threaded barrel would be an aftermarket addon, but they're supremely accurate, reasonably priced, and about as easy to break down as they come..

I love my Neos. But I haven't seen any threaded barrels.
    Do you have a link for one?

KPierce

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 7, 2008
    Jeffersonville
    I apologize if I missed it skimming through this thread. But I was surprised I hadn't seen anyone mention a Sig Mosquito. They are readily available with threaded barrels and not too hard to find in my area.

ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    walther p22 hands down.. for what your wanting.. :twocents: surprised only one other person has mentioned it..

Im gonna guess it's because of the pot metal slides resulting in alot of this:

brokenp22.jpg

brokenp223.jpg

brokenp222.jpg

brokenp221.jpg

Dont get me wrong. I have a p22 and love it. But this seems to be a fairly common problem with them. Im sure there are a lot of good ones out there. But there's always the possibility of this happening.

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts

ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    Why get a whole new setup? Buy one of these for your current pistols and run this. This way you can practice on the cheap. No need to buy new holsters either. I can't speak for the quality of these kits because I don't own one. I have heard great things about tornado tech for barrel extension and threading.

JAC Hand Gun Conversion Kits

Advantage Arms Secure Online Store: 1911 Conversion Kits

Tornado Technologies - Home page

I think these are great for someone who wants to practice with their EDC for cheap, but for that price, and if your just wanting it for a plinker, Id rather have a whole nuther gun than just a half a gun.

Top Bottom