• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • marcum man

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 20, 2012
    Bourbon
    So I want a 22 so I can shoot on the cheap. I am seriously considering the Ruger SR 22. I have $350.00 to spend. Anything else I should consider before the Ruger?

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Go to a well-stocked gun shop. Put fingerprints on all of the good quality weapons that fall within the general description of what you are looking for. Narrow the search to those which feel good in the hand with the understanding that the rest of us can't be much help here as all of our hands are different. From the short list, do a little research with people who have owned and used these weapons, and then make an informed decision.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Working at a range and instructing new shooters ive gotten to see all of them come through during my conquest to fin a reliable training pistol. I would recommend the S&W mp22 or a Ruger 22/45. The Sig mosquitos are extremely ammo picky.

barrelmaker_2002

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 8, 2009
    Rochester, MN
    So I want a 22 so I can shoot on the cheap. I am seriously considering the Ruger SR 22. I have $350.00 to spend. Anything else I should consider before the Ruger?

Based on reviews, the SR22 is a nice piece, though I honestly have never shot one.

I like the Browning Buckmark, the Ruger 22/45, the GSG 1911 and the S&W 22A. The 22A is a screaming deal and the 22/45 is the most easily upgraded.

I have a lot of trigger time on the guns mentioned other than the SR22 and personally own a Buckmark (my 2nd) and a GSG 1911. If I were in your shoes, I would probably choose a 22/45 or 22A.

The Walther P22 and the Sig Mosquito and crap. Not quite paper weights, but close.

barrelmaker_2002

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 8, 2009
    Rochester, MN
    Ive seen a lot more FTF and misfires out of the SR22 than the P22 out here, but not enough to second guess buying one really IMO

The most important advantage that the SR2 has over the P22 is the slide on the SR22 is not made from zinc alloy. So the SR22 should be a lot more durable. Plus, the P22 has a simply terrible trigger, a terrible mag release and is not very accurate.

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Greenfield
    +1 for the SR-22. I just shot 450 rounds of Federal Bulk ammo through it last week without any problems. So far it loves Federal, Blazer, and CCI mini mags. Great gun for the money.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    I've seen a dozen of the M&P22's come out and seen far less issues with them than any other "slide action" semi-auto 22's. I would take it over any other any day. First because of it's reliability and second because it feels more like a typical full size pistol. The SR and Walthers make me feel like I'm holding a squit gun, but that's just personal preference. The grip just isn't comfortable to me. If you want absolutely no issues and ultra reliable functioning then go with the Ruger Mk III, Buckmark, or similar.:twocents:

Top Bottom