What about a weekly ban announcement thread?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Again, no offense;

Maybe, if you have to explain the perspective of your posts, you should just take that post/perspective to another site more tolerant of such?
    INGO is full of areas and categories to post in that stir up zero controversy. I dunno, maybe post about uh...

...guns?

OK, let me break this down into the simplest and most elementary terms I can manage.

I will start with the no-brainer. When you preface with 'no offense...' that is a very good indicator you are about ready so say something that you know is not going to make you any friends.

Second, since you apparently didn't understand me the first few times, I will repeat again that some distinctions are pretty clear when you understand the perspective from which the decision which counts is being made. It is a matter of understanding the process. Just in case you have never encountered anything requiring such a level of thought input, most endeavors requiring thought are performed with greater speed, quality, and effectiveness of results when the person engaging in such an activity understands the desired results and the parameters which disqualify results from within the limits of acceptable. Again, I will make this as simple as I can: It is easier to stay within accepted limits when one understands the standards by which those limits are measured which may be entirely different from what one may have anticipated.

"No offense..." Well, I can assure you that I would be permanently banned for sharing my opinion of you after having the audacity of making your 'helpful' suggestion that I either find a different site or limit myself to what would seem to be comments on my favorite brand of solvent.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Not for me, you didn't.

I remember how the ban on "religious topics" began.

That is an interesting thought. Given that it happened before my time, my assumption was that there must have been a really ugly interdenominational slugfest, but I never heard any real information about the subject.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ... Well, I can assure you that I would be permanently banned for sharing my opinion of you after having the audacity of making your 'helpful' suggestion that I either find a different site or limit myself to what would seem to be comments on my favorite brand of solvent.

Sorry you feel that way, my friend. It was an attempt at respectfully disagreeing with your choosing to "walk the line" rather than taking the controversial chatter to a site more appropriate for it. What is said on INGO reflects on all Indiana gun owners. I am one of those. So yes I get to add my :twocents:. Apologies if you were unsettled by my commentary.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Sorry you feel that way, my friend. It was an attempt at respectfully disagreeing with your choosing to "walk the line" rather than taking the controversial chatter to a site more appropriate for it. What is said on INGO reflects on all Indiana gun owners. I am one of those. So yes I get to add my :twocents:. Apologies if you were unsettled by my commentary.

What I find unsettling is the condescending treatment you afforded my effort to address the fact that when two or more people address the same general subject, they may well do so using entirely different ways of measure creating misunderstanding which is entirely unnecessary. Beyond that, if Fenway feels that I need to move on, I am sure he can effectively communicate that fact, and be within his rights to do so for any reason or no reason. For most others to make such an implication and/or statement of similar nature, yes, I can assure you I take offense.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    What I find unsettling is the condescending treatment you afforded my effort to address the fact that when two or more people address the same general subject, they may well do so using entirely different ways of measure creating misunderstanding which is entirely unnecessary. Beyond that, if Fenway feels that I need to move on, I am sure he can effectively communicate that fact, and be within his rights to do so for any reason or no reason. For most others to make such an implication and/or statement of similar nature, yes, I can assure you I take offense.

Easy big fella........:)

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Easy big fella........:)

I know...it's just frustrating when trying to find a real solution to a real problem which probably could have prevented 3/4 of the bans issued in the last two weeks to get a kick in the nuts response like telling me to go away or limit myself to discussing solvents and range bags. I just don't see any reason why amazingly simple misunderstandings should cause so much havoc. For example, I just got a temporary ban for which I would never have independently guessed the actual reason and could easily have avoided with a better understanding of someone else's perspective on the matter.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I know...it's just frustrating when trying to find a real solution to a real problem which probably could have prevented 3/4 of the bans issued in the last two weeks to get a kick in the nuts response like telling me to go away or limit myself to discussing solvents and range bags. I just don't see any reason why amazingly simple misunderstandings should cause so much havoc. For example, I just got a temporary ban for which I would never have independently guessed the actual reason and could easily have avoided with a better understanding of someone else's perspective on the matter.

I get it. I am merely the buddy stepping in to buy a beer......:)

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    The line moves. That's the problem.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural

I get that interpretation is always involved. So my suggestion is "Why go there at all then?"

There are tons of forums on the interwebs, surely there are those who are appropriate for the subject matter involved. :dunno: If I want to discuss my other interests, I'm happy to seek forums that are about those interests. I frequent sites about motorcycles, survival, fishing, gardening, local politics, etc. (OMG - Even rimfire firearms. :runaway:) I don't get why it's such a big deal that ALL things must be discussed on the local gun forum?

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Not for me, you didn't.

I remember how the ban on "religious topics" began.

Oh, don't tell me THAT's covered in the "wallet" thread too.

Oh. Good. That's two then.

I think the line doesn't necessarily move as much as that it has an over-complex algorithm to plot it's boundaries. That algorithm is called judgement and it's probably not as objective as we'd like it to be.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I get that interpretation is always involved. So my suggestion is "Why go there at all then?"

There are tons of forums on the interwebs, surely there are those who are appropriate for the subject matter involved. :dunno: If I want to discuss my other interests, I'm happy to seek forums that are about those interests. I frequent sites about motorcycles, survival, fishing, gardening, local politics, etc. (OMG - Even rimfire firearms. :runaway:) I don't get why it's such a big deal that ALL things must be discussed on the local gun forum?

You do realize that you opened a number of doors here. First, community, whether in the traditional sense or the sense of those who gather remotely is a big issue. The people make INGO, not the guns. That may be the foundation which brings together the people you find, but the people are the critical mass. Second, one of the principal issues regarding guns is the use thereof. People (think ISIS) who would be just as happy to kill Americans here as anywhere else in the world tend to bridge this gap with guns and politics really quick. If you consider this implausible, I recommend studying history from 700-1500 AD, not as a matter of being condescending but rather that even if annoyed at the moment, I do not want to see bad things happen to you at any point in the future and complacency has been a reliable killer of good people throughout history. Third, or corollary to First, as you may prefer, if you like frequenting a number of different sites, that is just fine. Personally, I am not so happy diluting my understanding of the people and exchanging being able to address a thought with people I understand for exchanging the same ideas with people I do not know as well or at all just because they are on a laser-focused site for the subject of the moment.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    True. I'm one of those people, I've been around a day or two. ;)

It's not really that tough to avoid the ban hammer if you [STRIKE]just follow the rules[/STRIKE] are most favored son [STRIKE]as opposed to thinking they need to be laid out to your liking.[/STRIKE]
    Puh-lease. I called someone a coward (and he was) and got banned. I was "insulting" another member, so they say. You think people haven't said worse around here? Did they get banned for it? Yeah, right.

Top Bottom