• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    If we at INGO and the gun community as a whole want to gain new memebers, as well as the respect of those who disagree with us, I think we need to stop drinking the hater-aid and be a little more willing to cheerfully educate others, instead of condemning them for their ignorance. Especially when they come to us asking to be educated, and for advice.

+! :yesway: :rockwoot:

n9iui

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Sit Rep 1
    So if a 18-20 year old something kid you recognise from a couple doors down cuts through your back yard, about sun down, from 3-4 doors down and then a couple yards over and walks in to their garage in the back yard would you call the cops?

1a
    Now a couple days later he does the same thing and he's carrying a gun this time?

Sit Rep 2
    You live on the corner lot, same neighborhood you do now. School bus stop is on your corner. A dozen kids of all ages get on the bus and then off the bus in the afternoon at your corner. The corner get's to be a hang out, meet up place. All legal, all on the public sidewalk and to the street curb.

Now after a year or so of this, older kids start meeting up at same place smoking a few butts, talking, a scooter comes and goes once in a while. They hang around and cut up out there until the street lights come on and after on the weekends. Nothing you know of that's illegal. Do you call the cops?

2a
    6 months later these same people are now strapped up and carrying guns. Guns in pockets, guns in waist bands, Glocks in cop holsters, no change in behaviour still just hanging on the corner smoking, talking, cutting up a little, scooters coming and going. They just all have guns now at the corner of your lot on the public side walk where you live with your wife and children.

GET OUTTA MY YARD!!! :D

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    GET OUTTA MY YARD!!! :D

EastwoodMyLawn.jpg

renegade

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 23, 2009
    IN
    I can see where the OP is coming from. If the said guys were not known in the neighborhood looking into cars parked on the street. No laws have been broken at this point. But I would probably call the police and report them as suspicious, and mention that at least one was armed. Not because I don't like OC but because so the officer is aware.

Kase

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Crawfordsville
    I can see where the OP is coming from. If the said guys were not known in the neighborhood looking into cars parked on the street. No laws have been broken at this point. But I would probably call the police and report them as suspicious, and mention that at least one was armed. Not because I don't like OC but because so the officer is aware.

I agree. If someone on the street walked past you with his hand on his pistol, but still holstered, he would not be breaking a law. But it would sure as hell make me nervous. Sounds to me like the person oc'ing wasn't being very responsible, and the op had every right to ask this question. Isn't that what ingo's all about? Lighten up fella's :D

AuntieBellum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Rensselaer
    Man what would happen of he saw me carrying my gun muzzle down from the door to the car on those days where I am too lazy to wear a holster but am going for a drive where I won't be leaving the vehicle but still choose to be armed?

So glad he isn't my neighbor.

+1 - Sooo glad my neighbors haven't called the cops on me for simply carrying my firearms on my property (I know, not quite the situation at hand here). It's certainly not uncommon for me to forget about a handgun under the seat and run out to my car to get it. Or to carry multiple rifles to and from the car. Cased or uncased depending on my mood and how much I'm packing that day.

3. Seeing someone OC doesn't scare me, but my SA does goes way up. Knowing that someone is carrying a handgun does make me pay more attention to where they are, and what they're doing.

So, do you look to see if someone is carrying, or does your SA only go up when you happen to notice they're OCing? Just curious. Some people don't conceal well at all, so do they raise your awareness if they try but fail? You say if they're carrying, but I'm wondering if perhaps you simply think them to have a large ego by OCing and therefore are more likely to use their handgun inappropriately? (Just trying to understand your logic, here.)

My carry methods (OC, CC, type of holster, etc) vary greatly depending on my destination, the weather, who I'm traveling with (2 yr old nephew=retention holster!), and how the moons of Jupiter are aligned, but I actually find it a little comforting when I spot someone else carrying. I'd like to think that if a BD were to show up, then the other person exercising their 2A rights would have my back. :patriot:

:laugh: After the trouble I had with kids last Halloween (they vandalized our porch with the very stickers I left outside in a bucket for them, and they stole the bucket), I just might be cleaning guns on the front porch instead of passing out candy. My lawn? I think not.

Andy219

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Cedar Lake, IN
    I was standing right out in front of my apartment on the West side of Bloomington just before 11pm tonight, and three guys came walking down the sidewalk, talking loudly, one of them OC'ing a .38 in a cheap holster. The impression that they gave was very much one of looking for trouble. My friend, who is also licensed to carry, was standing with me and said the same thing after the fact. We politely said "hello" and Mr. .38 loudly replied "Yeah. Nice evening ain't it!" while strutting down the sidewalk. After they passed us, we stood quietly and watched them until they were out of sight.

My question is this-- under what circumstances would you call the cops on someone who was OC'ing? I realize that many folks think that OC is a great idea. I don't. I realize that I'll get flak for saying that, but I do think that everyone has to agree that some OC crosses the line into being intimidating and inappropriate.

Because of the neighborhood, the time of night, and the general attitude and appearance of the men, I was concerned. I would have been much less bothered by it had my wife and infant daughter not been at home, but as it happened, they were only 15 or so feet away, on the other side of a ground floor window with the shades drawn.

What do you think?

Well just to throw my :twocents: into the debate. I'd be more worried about the gun I can't see. But thats just me.

Andy219

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Cedar Lake, IN
    Sounds like he did. I can't find anything mean about saying what a nice evening it is.

Then why bring it up? You sound like you were one nervous twitch away from making a panicked MWAG call.

Personally I find it in bad taste when someone wears sandals and jeans. Irregardless of open carry. However I wouldn't dream about calling 9-1-1 over such a fashion fauspax. Neither would I care about a .38 in a cheap holster, I might chuckle, but hey, poor people have a right to defend themselves too! ;)

I can't think of any OC I'd call the cops about. A holstered gun is not a threat to anyone.

Now I would call the cops if I saw someone in jeans, oc'ing and swinging a puppy by it's tail while wearing flipflops.

It's my first time using purple... do I get a prize or something? :laugh:

Crap another thread where Joe and I agree... must be the new menards brand of bottled water I picked up.... :):

Ouch, probably talking about me. I were jeans and sandals while OC'ing my Sig in a Galco holster walking my 2 Great Danes and yelling at them profusley cause everytime they see a bird, squirell, dog, person or rock for that matter they try to take off like two Clydesdales running for Budweiser.

As to the OP asking when to call the cops for someone OC'ing, if they threaten me, take the gun out of teh holster, commit a crime or something of that nature. As for someone shady OC'ing in a cheap holster, and sarcastically saying NICE EVENING AINT IT, I might just reply "why yes it is". If I initiated the exchange by nodding, or politely saying hi or hello, I might not say anything as it is possible that the guy is having a bad day and doesn't really want to exchange pleasantries.

ProLibertate

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Qusetion for LEO; How many MWG calls/year result in a real threat being eliminated vs. some busybody or nervous nellie trying to force their beliefs on others?

Actually, you may be surprised to know that most of the MWAG calls I respond to are legit. People really are threatening to use a firearm without justification (yes, even with an LTCH) or they do not have a LTCH. Since IN does not require any training for a license, I meet people daily who have absolutely no idea what the gun laws are in this state. Before you flame, I am not suggesting mandatory training. I too believe that an LTCH is unconstitutional. I am simply pointing out that many people choose to exercise their rights without acquainting themselves with the responsibility that comes with. This is a recipe for disaster.

That said, I think I understand what you're asking. Of the MWAG runs involving OC I've responded to, all of the OC "offenders" were licensed. They were complained on out of fear or ignorance (or both). That is why I personally don't harass open carriers. I may think it is socially and tactically retarded, but experience has showed that those who openly display a handgun in a holster are doing so lawfully.
    The bottom line, as a general rule, is that criminals do not OC. It's too risky for them as it draws attention. :twocents:

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    Of the MWAG runs involving OC I've responded to, all of the OC "offenders" were licensed. They were complained on out of fear or ignorance (or both). That is why I personally don't harass open carriers. I may think it is socially and tactically retarded, but experience has showed that those who openly display a handgun in a holster are doing so lawfully.

:popcorn:

PatriotPride

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    Valley Forge, PA
    I may think it is socially and tactically retarded, but experience has showed that those who openly display a handgun in a holster are doing so lawfully.
    The bottom line, as a general rule, is that criminals do not OC. It's too risky for them as it draws attention. :twocents:

I don't quite understand what your issue is with OC? Like you said, in your experience OCers abide by the law. I still have yet to hear a single coherent argument defending the "OC is retarded" fallacy. :twocents:

glockednlocked

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 7, 2008
    Oh now we cant all pile on the poor chap :) besides all of you show your lack of social graces if you were true life long bloomantonians like myself. You would know the correct response to the 3 males would have been to lift your "wifebeater" showing the butt of your highpoint and pronouncing "wessssssssssssiiiiiiiiddddde" :)
    Well maybe I jest but in any culture knowing the non-verbal communication is as important as the spoken word. open carry even tacky open carry is totally legal. The real scary thugs usually hide their weapons.
    Be kind, be polite and have a plan to deal with any threat. Then your fear is only a motivational tool not a paralyzer.

Top Bottom