• ...and so much more!
  • kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    images

I have an '81 Yam XS650. The charging system is dead. Loose wire? Dead rotor? I keep it on a trickle charger and used to take it on short rides. Won't run with a dead battery. What do you know about permanent magnet alternators? If you're outside my door wanna help me fix it? Electricity baffles me. Lota stuff on the web about this, but the mod is endless.

I am a motorcycle tech by trade. I would be happy to help you fix it! Sounds like you need to check the stator output. Unplug the stator, Start the bike (yes the bike will start without the stator pluged in it uses the battery to start) and then check for voltage between the prongs. There should be 12+ AC volts(or what is stated by a quality service manual and Yes AC Volts as this will be before the rectifier converts it to DC) on each of the 3 prongs. If not your stator is dead and needs to be replaced. Or if that is to much do the same thing but instead of starting the bike leave it off and check for resistance between the three prongs. If there is more than 3 ohms of resistance (or whatever is stated by a quality service manual) between any of the prongs or if any prong shows an open line then its dead and needs to be replaced. If that is to much then start the bike and hook a volt meter to the battery and put it on the DC volts and note the reading, rev the bike a little and it should start to climb up to atleast 13-14 volts, if it does not then either the stator is dead or the voltage regulator/rectifier is dead. Testing a regulator/rectfier is a little more tricky as it involes diodes and such. Test the stator first, if its good try a new rectifier/regulator. Hope this helps.

3 phase PMS (permanent magnet systems) systems are easy. 3 phase EMS (electromagnet systems) systems are more complicated but work just like a cars alternator.

I live in Martinsville and Ill make you a deal. You bring the bike, beer and cigars and Ill check it out for you.

Also my first street bike was an XS 650 special! Great little bikes arent they?

1988-4551

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Feb 20, 2012
    INGO, sleep, work a couple jobs and from time to time I like to actually shoot my guns instead of fawn over them

turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    Well I went shooting at Wilbur Wright yesterday for about 3 hours!! Its free and I had a good time. Met an older guy that was at the bench next to mine and we talked for the entire time we were there. He even helped getting my AR rezero'd for 50yards.

Good thing about shooting.... I now have more brass to prep and load :rockwoot:I also grabbed a couple handfuls out of the brass bucket when the DNR officer wasnt looking lol. Someone right before me shot a **** ton of PMC 223 so it was a field day for me. I ended up shooting 100 rounds of my own reloads and ended up with about 175 pieces of relatively clean brass.... Idk how that happened ;)

findingZzero

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    N WIndy
    I am a motorcycle tech by trade. I would be happy to help you fix it! Sounds like you need to check the stator output. Unplug the stator, Start the bike (yes the bike will start without the stator pluged in it uses the battery to start) and then check for voltage between the prongs. There should be 12+ AC volts(or what is stated by a quality service manual and Yes AC Volts as this will be before the rectifier converts it to DC) on each of the 3 prongs. If not your stator is dead and needs to be replaced. Or if that is to much do the same thing but instead of starting the bike leave it off and check for resistance between the three prongs. If there is more than 3 ohms of resistance (or whatever is stated by a quality service manual) between any of the prongs or if any prong shows an open line then its dead and needs to be replaced. If that is to much then start the bike and hook a volt meter to the battery and put it on the DC volts and note the reading, rev the bike a little and it should start to climb up to atleast 13-14 volts, if it does not then either the stator is dead or the voltage regulator/rectifier is dead. Testing a regulator/rectfier is a little more tricky as it involes diodes and such. Test the stator first, if its good try a new rectifier/regulator. Hope this helps.

3 phase PMS (permanent magnet systems) systems are easy. 3 phase EMS (electromagnet systems) systems are more complicated but work just like a cars alternator.

I live in Martinsville and Ill make you a deal. You bring the bike, beer and cigars and Ill check it out for you.

Also my first street bike was an XS 650 special! Great little bikes arent they?
    Been away awhile. You drive a hard bargain. I live near Eagle Creek and have 2 kayaks and a sailboat. I doubt if I could make it to Martinsville w/o getting stranded. Come up here and I'll supply all of the above! All I've done is replace the brushes and check to see no charging going on (voltmeter) when revving. The PMA mod is recommended and there is a step by step video, but if you have a later model XS650 with TI? ignition you have to go back to points as well. If it's just one part dead I'd do it, but the original charging systems sucks. It won't charge the batt @ idle. My first bike was a '65 150 Honda Dream (in 1965). Cheerz!!

Top Bottom