What do you think the biggest threat to Hoosiers is?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Which do you believe to be the most likely disaster?

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Ogre

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I chose Tornado, just because the odds say that will impact us more than anything int he near future.
    THAT SAID, I am prepping more for the fact that I think our govt. is going to continually legislate my "safety needs" to a place our govt. needs not to go, and once that happens, I want all the guns and ammo I need before they decide that we are safer without them...:xmad:

Ogre

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    On a side note, the other man made disaster choice caught my eye because of the chlorine tanker example. Its funny to think that on any given day during the summer, there are high schoolers responsible for high capacity pool chlorinaters (which use chlorine gas) at any number of community pools. I used to be one of them. While we obviously didn't ahve to manipulate it often, we were trained that if there were a leak or accident it meant the evacuation of quite a large area.... Kinda scary when you think about it.

Ramen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2009
    This one is tough.

I would say other and vote inflation.

But that will likely lead to civil unrest. Hmm. I guess I will vote Civil Unrest.

I believe inflation will be the cause though.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    As someone who lives near Martinsville and works in Columbus (the 2 hardest hit flood area's of 2008-2009)

Floods are a big scary thing when your in one,

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    I debated on "other" as well because I think a man made event could cause us a lot of problems such as a nuclear reactor meltdown or even a train with chemicals or even a Department of Energy train with spent nuclear rods crashes and there is a leak. There are a lot of reactors around the state of Indiana so people in certain areas like the Northeast could be effected greatly.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    I debated on "other" as well because I think a man made event could cause us a lot of problems such as a nuclear reactor meltdown or even a train with chemicals or even a Department of Energy train with spent nuclear rods crashes and there is a leak. There are a lot of reactors around the state of Indiana so people in certain areas like the Northeast could be effected greatly.

There was recently a big story on the Rod and nuke material storage system that they use on the trains and the trucks transporting it. They showed what the containment system was and was tested to, I wouldn't worry about nuke transport with insane train and truck tests they could not breach the system. A locomotive hit one at over 60 mph and it destroyed the train and just rolled the container around, they even trapped one between a concrete wall and ran a train into it at high speed, Were safe there

Chemicals are a different matter but with the epa restrictions on US business were unlikely to be around the chemicals, Out of country beware

:twocents:

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Chemicals are a different matter but with the epa restrictions on US business were unlikely to be around the chemicals, Out of country beware

:twocents:

One day my partner and I were on 465 in our ambulance and we were next to an odd looking tanker trailer. Normal 55' tank trailer like might hold chems. Looked up the HAZMAT code. Liquid Hydrogen Fluoride. Not hydrofluoric acid, but LIQUID HYDROGEN FLUORIDE. Had that truck crashed the gas cloud would have pretty much wiped out every organic and many inorganic things in its path for tens to hundreds of miles as HFl readily combines with water, any water (that on the surface of your lungs... fog in the air, rain, etc) to form hydrofluoric acid which of all the mineral acids scare me the most.

JD31

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2008
    I tend to prep for the possible interruption to the supply chain that could result from a lack of availability of petroleum products due to terrorist type activities at refineries or in the middle east oil fields. The resulting lack of fuel for the delivery vehicles, little food on store shelves, and no gas in the tanks at gas stations for our vehicles would certainly cause a great deal of civil unrest. Beyond the localized tornado, blizzard, ice storm, I think that the most likely issues we may face.

Grizhicks

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    New Palestine
    Earthquake -- My biggest concern is a major earthquake and being stuck inside I-465. I can see all the bridges/overpasses coming down and having to walk the last 10 miles home. Also, a large regional event would allow FEMA to come in and do what they don't do best. If something should happen, I would rather see NO central government, than the full weight coming down on a regional area.

If things get worse (which I think they may), civial unrest may move to the top of the list. - Greg

Last edited:

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    I tend to prep for the possible interruption to the supply chain that could result from a lack of availability of petroleum products due to terrorist type activities at refineries or in the middle east oil fields.
    The only terrorist activities effecting refining capacity are economic and come from DC. Another one shut down this past week.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    i would think a bad earthquake would be the most devastating as we are not used to it. when the tornado siren goes off it is just another warning, yes i respect the power of a tornado, but most of us are used to that threat and know how to handle it. now the earthquake moving the ground under our feet, i could see alot of people going crazy. especially since there is no kind of advance warning system for an earthquake.

Woodsman

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New albany
    In South Bend around 1989 or so an ammonia rail car tanker sprung a leak over by the Bendix plant. That was exciting.

In Evansville sometime during the mid-80's a huge natural gas leak was thought to have occured in the vicinity of 41 South. It tuned out there was a tanker truck driving down 41 South which contained the same odorizer used to make natural gas have it's recognizable odor. The tanker was leaking, but no one knew it was just the odorizer until much later.

Two events, both tanker related. So yeah, I tend to watch for this also.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Yeah, we get tornados, but the floods (IMHO) do far more damage and cause more problems to a larger number of people. Hundreds of miles of rivers overflowing banks that can last for several days.

I lump earthquake/tornados/floods/ice storms in the same category of my prep thinking.

groovatron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    calumet township
    I have been trapped in flash floods all over the state. Especially in the last few years. Couple that with some twisters and you may be in for some trouble. These two things are not only the most likely, but also the most frequent as they do happen every year in certain parts of the state.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom