• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    :twocents: I wish they would have made the output selector like that on my streamlight.
    -Light is on the brightest setting when switch is pushed
    -Light dims to lower settings when the button is held down
    -Light strobes when pushed twice.
    It's annoying when I've been using the light at work, and then need to to direct traffic, and trying to switch through 10 different modes by twisting the head.

lol i been telling folks for a minute now fenix is where its at. u can spend a extra 100 bucks on the surefire or you can buy 2-3 fenix weapons light and own the night. they have a great throw and a nice blinding light. they are a bit blue but thats because the human eye sees light blue as a brighter color. i don't mind it but if you do look at some of the much more expensive warm led's. quark is a very good light also.

in my bug out bag's i also rock a couple head lamps from zebra lights as they are amazing and usually come with a ton of stuff. for hands free operations they can't be beat in my opinion. another great company for really solid prices and amazing run times with lots of different options.

also as far as rotating the head on the lights that is only to get to the brightest settings other wise you just click the tail cap or in my case for my edc light just keep it on the brightest setting and if you need to adjust just twist the bezel and turn it down

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    One of the issues with using the tailcap switch to toggle through modes is that it's difficult (or impossible) to have it function as a momentary "on" switch. For a utility light, that's no big deal. For a light used for defensive use, it's a big deal. Being able to have momentary "on" is necessary in my opinion, and far outweighs inconvenience of swtiching modes with other methods.

darinb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Scott county,indiana
    I have a large maglight for in home use. I always carry a Nebo which I cant remember the model right now. I have a GI issue light in my BOB,GHB and car bag. There is a couple other cheap flashlights in our bedroom and bathroom also.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I recently bought a Nitecore. My first EDC light, and I got it based on VUPDblue's report on it. I like it. Later I'll get a fenix and/or streamlight. I have 2 small AA maglights. And the larger maglight that takes 2 D batteries.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    :twocents: I wish they would have made the output selector like that on my streamlight.
    -Light is on the brightest setting when switch is pushed
    -Light dims to lower settings when the button is held down
    -Light strobes when pushed twice.
    It's annoying when I've been using the light at work, and then need to to direct traffic, and trying to switch through 10 different modes by twisting the head.

have you played with the new fenix's you leave it on high and when you turn it on its immediately on high. if its 2 bright you just twist the bezel a very minute amount and then you can cycle through low to high just not turbo. its very easy and quite simple. i guess i am very use to it and i have a ton of lights i am kinda a light junkie but either way. go to goinggear.com and check out his selection and just read, any questions shoot him a email and they will get right back to you. its a awesome group of people and they use to come to the 1500 till he opened his store. again check em out

i agree rhino you for a purely defensive flash light that is a must and if i keep mine on turbo it goes on and off like that but does have the strobe before it does it

Last edited:

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    EDC is a Quark AA-R5 from 4sevens with AW 14500 Li-ion cells (206 lumens). On my keyring is a Quark MiNi 123 with AW RCR123 (189 lumens).

Other lights include a Surefire 6P bored out to accept an AW 18650 Li-ion cell and a Nailbender SST-50 drop-in module. Several Solarforce lights with various drop-ins. Solarforce lights are made to interchange parts with Surefire P6 parts as well. They are already machined to accept 18650 cells when the Surefires are not.

DanO

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    NW IN
    Always in my pocket: Martac AAA single light with 3-setting LED bulb
    Always on my raid Vest or work Belt: Surfire Nirtrolon with Cree 5-setting LED bulb
    Alwys in my work Car: Surefire 6R and charger with extra batteries; 1 Million candlepower plug in spotlight.

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    Pocket: Nitecore D10r2
    EDC Bag: Fenix T1
    Car: Fenix P3D R5
    Go Bags: Surefire E2's
    Bedside: Fenix P3D R5

I feed the Nitecore with AAs at work - since I use it for work. The others are CR123s for shelf life and temperature resistance.

Around the house are several Task Force 3 Watt Luxeon 2xC cell from Lowes. Bright light with good throw for an inexpensive price. There must be four or five around the house between the exit to the deck and the bedrooms.

OAK

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 16, 2010
    TH
    Just ordered a Fenix TA21 this will be my first Fenix product so we shall see! I currently have a Maglite ST2

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    :+1: for the Fenix LD10.

Just got one a few days ago. Amazing capability from a single cheap and easy to replace AA battery. It has 6 light modes:
    3 regular light levels from dim to high, SOS flash, blinding light, blinding flash

Bucko

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 21, 2010
    Indy South
    I ended up going with a 4Sevens Quarrk AA2 for my EDC and BOB. I love it so far. Very bright on high, and when set to low mode, will last for more than a month continuously left on. Very impressed with it, and will be ordering more.

I just ordered a 4 Sevens Maelstrom G5 to mount on my M4.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    Dealextreme.com has 900 lumens flashlights for $20!

Those are seriously inflated numbers. When you put them in a sphere they are nowhere near that high of an output. There have been numerous tests done at candlepowerforums on these and others.

Most of the high quality lights are rated in OTF (out the front) lumens, these are the lights you want. Most of the discount lights are rated by the max the emitter is capable of putting out under ideal conditions, they don't take into account heat and the voltage regulation of the driver.

The DX & KAI lights are fine to get as a novelty, just don't depend on them in tough situations. If you are interested in lights then head to candlepowerforums and learn away. There is more information there than you could ever learn.

Also, 4sevens has a limited run of neutral white R5's right now. There are coupon codes listed on CPF for tons of sites as well.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    As of last week, my primary light (an original Fenix TK11) has been replaced.

By a new TK11 with an R5 emitter. I like it.

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    I have been lugging around this one for a while. It treats me well, and I dig the red light when I need to see something without the world knowing Im there.

HuJAuwClnvKF7u3baRsADYT9wIpCLNPiE_LPZgo5ILCwI62Az5zkiw965OgPlohCG7QPKYO7TaOXxAb98z2EgaHIyKpRoEBvohnosVlIncSZjwNqnpqDo_Y6WxfgKWxjpX-Ci9N9iuRcSp6wMa1boQjHXYzR-_tiWHt5pwF8Q8ZDj_zC-I46bwk

SureFire A2L-HA-RD A2 LED Aviator (Red)

Top Bottom