• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    If you've got a generator, what did you buy and why? Personally I'm new to the idea and concept, so I bought a cheapo from Harbor Freight based on some reviews I'd read on another forum.

63cc, 900 Watts Max/800 Watts Rated Portable Generator

My intent is to be able to run a 800 watt utility pump with this generator and any small appliance that I'd need to. Right now I haven't fully tested it as it's still in the break in period.

fordfarmboy

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Morgan County
    Generac

I have a generac 5500 watts max 6500 I think . I looked for sometime to find the right one for me . I live out in the country and the power would go from time to time . This one will run my hole house ,I have gas heat not much needed there and a well and i try not to use the well on gen. It will also work with my welder arc and wire , comes in handy on farm.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I have a torro (briggs/straton motor). Not sure off the top of my head, but I think 5500/6500. Got it in 2008. Still starts on the first pull. I run it for 15-20 minutes once/month. 5 gal tank will provide ~8hrs of run time. I keep 25-30 gal of gas on hand (each fall I put the gas in my truck and re-fill the tanks w/ new gas).

I have it wired in via some double-pole/double-throw switches so that I just have to start it outside and plug my 220 "dead mans cord" into a receptacle in the garage, and I can run most of the house (such as furnace blower, sump pumps, fridge/freezers, TV, internet.... the important stuff) and the circuits are issolated from the outside grid.

got it when we brought my first kid home from the NICU when he was born and he was on O2 and heart/breathing monitors. Glad we did, cause that was when we had that big ice storm (Dec' 08).

-rvb

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    We have a Generac NG 20Kw. With a well, sump pump, sewage pump, etc. we really can't afford to be without power for a long time. Plus I got tired of running extension cords and filling the fuel tank.

Indiana Camper

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2012
    Westfield
    I needed something to power the air conditioner on my camper but something as quiet as possible also. I went with a Yamaha is2400. It was pricey at $1,400 on line but it is an awesome little genney. It starts on the first pull every time and runs very quiet then spools up when more load is on it. It is an inverter type generator that puts out clean power which won't damage electronics.
    If money were no object though I would have went with either 2 Yamaha or 2 Honda 2000 watt ones though. They are a little easier to move around and in cold weather when the air is not needed they would still power everything I would need.

Cozy439

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    Milan Center
    We have a Generac NG 20Kw. With a well, sump pump, sewage pump, etc. we really can't afford to be without power for a long time. Plus I got tired of running extension cords and filling the fuel tank.

Same reasons... Same Generator except it is Propane, not Nat. Gas. We are too far out int the sticks for NG.

Also have a portable Kawaskai 6500 that we got over 10 yrs ago.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Have a few that fit all of our needs. (1) 1200 watt 2 cycle for camping...lights etc. (2) Honda 5 HP 3800 watt constant 4200 peak for basic needs and a 6500 watt constant. All are clean power units.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    onan 5500, runs my well, lights, furnace, I have to live without hot water and A/C but normally keep 5 days of fuel on hand, I'm low right now I'm using up and replacing so I'm a little out in the wind now

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Onan 5000W generator with overload capability. Wired into our main circuit board with a generator / grid interlock switch.

Runs the basic lighting circuits in the house, along with maintaining the fridge, freezers, and powering a few key outlets in the kitchen for using the toaster, crock pot, radio, etc.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Troy Built 3500 running watts Briggs and Stratton engine.
    Have a manual transfer switch to plug it into.

Bought it from a pawn shop after running it for a period of time and powering a few power tools with it. Got a great deal on it, 250 bucks.

Hopefully before winter we will be getting a larger unit and maybe a larger transfer switch but for non winter months it powers enough durring an outage to keep life comfortable.

Waveraider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I also have the 3800w Honda. Lost my power last summer for 24 hours and ran 2 'frig's, a few lights and a window unit in the Bedroom. I was suprised it ran that much stuff. Also has a low oil shut-off that kicked in (or off?) in the middle of the night.

Waveraider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Indianapolis
    IMO, battery backup is too short term w/o an efficient charging system. I have a 750w inverter on my Houseboat and run TV, stereo and some lighting with it. Good for maybe a day or 2 at most. I charge my batteries back at the dock.

rlspach

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    8kw generac propane with 4 500 gal tanks. Why worry about getting to the gas station? It runs power in our great room, lights in one bath, fridge, pump, propane on demand hot water system, furnace fan to circulate air from the wood stove.

Also have a portable gasoline 7kw Black Max w/Honda engine from Sam's Club. Works awesome!

Krogo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 17, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    I should preface my post with a note about how my property is wired. We have three types of circuits:

1-Critical: Well pump, Sump pump, Refrigerator, freezer, Radio room, One outlet in the Kitchen, one outlet in the living room.

2-Non-Critical: Balance of kitchen, Balance of Living room, Water Heater, AC/Heatpump, Really the rest of the house.

3-All: This is everything else, Barns, poultry house, electric fence, etc...

We have Three gensets:

1 - Our main Genset is one I assembled. It consists of a Listeroid 6/1 (google it) belt driving a 5Kw ST type four pole Genhead with an SX460 AVR. The ST is wired for 240, with a balance transformer on the output (ST output is ugly when the output isn't balanced). This genset runs critical loads on the property. She consumes 1/2 gallon per hour Diesel/WVO/WMO/WTF, with an average load of 3500 Watts. Max continuous is 4 kW, overload 4.5 kW, however due to the enormous kinetic energy stored in the flywheels of the engine, she can easily start the well pump which has an inrush of 5.1 kW.

2 - This genset is used when/if if have an issue with genset one. It's a 8 kW continuous powered by a gasoline Chinese Honda clone. Fuel consumption is in the Gallon per hour range.

3 - This genset is used for the times we MUST(as declared by the "Boss") be running the AC or water heater. Another genset I built. Powered by a 4 cylinder diesel Kubota V1505 direct driving a Stamford-Newage 25 kW genhead. Fuel consumption is ~one gallon per hour at 10 kW nominal load.

Each circuit can be run independently or combined. For example: If genset one is running Critical loads and the "Boss" demands hot water or AC, I can start genset three, and let both gensets run together so I do not interrupt the critical loads. Once the "Boss" is satisfied, I can shut down genset three. There is no need to burn fuel unnecessarily just to keep a large genset running a small load. If we are in the middle of a heat wave and the "Boss" declares an AC emergency, I can shut down genset one and transfer loads to genset three.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have built several for friends over the last 3 years. We have 4 deep cycle gell cells, 2 inverters and a 4 circuit smart charger. The batts stay topped off and are ready at all times. We power up any outdoor activity (lights in Gazebo, lawn equipment, security lights) from the bank to cycle the batts. and occasionally run the lights/tv for a weekend.
    Yes, temporary but if you use it for low loads such as lights and electronics you can run silent all night. Our system will power the furnace with no issues. No genny noise at night to alert the zombies you have power. Run the genny during the day to top off the batts when needed.
    The 6 batt. reserve we built up for the BOL cabin has ran the lights etc for days with no issues. You can start with 2 batts and a decent clean power inverter and expand from there.

Top Bottom