• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • seamus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Just got a od CZ P-01 and am carrying it some since my PCR is in Kansas City getting fixed. Sometimes I'll carry my Para LTC, or my glock 23 too. But more often than not I carry my CZ's because I am pretty good with them and I know if I get in a shtf situation I'll hit my targets.

jesse485

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    La Porte
    Just got my "every day" gun, a P32. Otherwise, it is a Glock 23, Russian Makarov, or a Taurus 650 (J frame centennial clone). Of all of those, the 23 is my choice, probably not a surprise.

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    as soon as my license arrives.....
    The biggest one I can....
    06-closeup.jpg

stormryder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Batesville IN
    Beretta 92/m9,
    AMT Hardballer
    Ported Argentine 1911 knockoff.
    At the very least my AMT II .22 mag or Walther P-22.
    All depends on weather and what I am wearing.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Para-Ord. Carry12 .45 LDA

What do you think of the LDA trigger system? I have a Carry 9 with the LDA and love it. I've never found a Glock or similar style gun with a trigger that could compare to the LDA. While I prefer the SA trigger of a traditional 1911, the LDA is a pretty good option and certainly better than the striker fired pistols.
    1-1.jpg

465guy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2008
    I have seen so many of those chopped down 1911s fail I would never trust my life to them. I don't care how good the trigger feels. Does yours run?

I've never found a Glock or similar style gun with a trigger that could compare to the LDA.
    1-1.jpg

Big12Inch

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    I know...it is the cross I bear....

BTW...I carry a SIG SAS 239 in 40...but the wood grips stay in the safe...

I did IWB until I added the Bayonet :rolleyesedit:

Formerly known as Big12Inch, :xmad:

sadly now known just as 4sarge - if you get my drift :D

Windwalker

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Melensdad,The LDA trigger is the best double action trigger I have ever used. I like it almost as well as my SA .45 Auto. For a carry weapon the LDA trigger fits me perfectly.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    I have seen so many of those chopped down 1911s fail I would never trust my life to them. I don't care how good the trigger feels. Does yours run?

I have a whole collection of sub-compact 1911s and they all run 100%. I've heard of rumors of problems, but I honestly don't have them. I collect Detonics Combat Masters, they were the first company to develop the small 1911 and the Colt Officers Model is a slightly larger gun. Every one is reliable. I own literally almost 1 of every model they made in most every caliber they made out of the original Seattle factory. These guns are 20 to 30 years old and run beautifully.

1-Minute-of-Troll-1.jpg

The Para Carry 9 caused me some problems when I had the factory refinish the frame and I tried shooting it before it cured properly. However after it had cured its been absolutely 100% reliable with every ammo I throw through it.

a1.jpg

I've got a Warthog that I bought used, that one was sold because it was unreliable, but it has NEVER jammed, NEVER failed to feed/fire or eject since I've owned it. I've put every type of ammo from Wolf steel case to reloads to premium Remingtons and Federals through that gun without ever having had so much as a hiccup.

pix2101866328.jpg

Most of the problems with people jamming 1911s are user error, this is especially true with the compact 1911s. I understand why some people don't like the 1911 guns, they are typically heavier than the modern pistols, especially the 9mm and 40s&w variants. And I think a lot of inexperienced shooters are simply afraid of the SA trigger. But compact 1911s are reliable guns. Yes, I'll admit that there are reports of problems with some of them, but as a guy who has a safe full of them it is simply not my experience.

1-combat-pair-1.jpg

Melensdad,The LDA trigger is the best double action trigger I have ever used. I like it almost as well as my SA .45 Auto. For a carry weapon the LDA trigger fits me perfectly.
    That has also been my experience with the LDA.

I'm not a fan of double action trigger, have not found a decent striker fired trigger, but the LDA is a darn good trigger for a compromise trigger. Certainly the best, smoothest, lightest DA trigger I've found. I've got everything from Hi Powers to Glocks in the safe and none of them are as good of a carry gun as a simple 1911. All guns are a compromise in some way, and I can understand why some people like other guns. Heck I like other guns too. But for a carry gun, I'm happy with John Brownings designs, they may date back 100 years, but they suit me just fine.

Last edited:

465guy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2008
    melens I'm glad to hear your guns run and I must say I'm pleasantly surprised given what I have seen on the range.

Two questions

The Para Carry 9 caused me some problems when I had the factory refinish the frame and I tried shooting it before it cured properly.
    What does the finish have to do with the reliability of the gun? Why would your "uncured gun" not run?

Most of the problems with people jamming 1911s are user error, this is especially true with the compact 1911s.
    What errors in your opinion are users making so that the compact 1911s don't run?

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Two questions

What does the finish have to do with the reliability of the gun? Why would your "uncured gun" not run?

What errors in your opinion are users making so that the compact 1911s don't run?

Question 1, the new finish on the gun had not fully hardened/cured when took it out to shoot it. While it was not sticky to the touch, it certainly did not exhibit the same level of lubricity that a fully cured finish had. After about 20 days it was running perfectly again. I know another guy who had the exact same finish applied by Para Ordnance to his gun, he had the exact same problem for the first few weeks after his gun was returned from their shop. His gun also straightened out and started to run again. I don't know what finish Para uses, but I know that Duracoat recommends that a gun not be used until the finish is fully cured.

Question 2, regarding user error. Limp wristing is the most common cause of problems with 1911s. It seems to be a bigger issue with 45's and a lesser issue with 9's. I suspect the users simply are anticipating recoil and reacting improperly? I don't know that for fact, I simply suspect it.

Top Bottom