• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    :xmad: Seriously people! Here is my rant for the day.

Had to run to the store to get some nails for a cub scout project. BlackBerry was in my jacket pocket and got in the way of buckling the seat belt. So I placed in the the tray between to seats. Sun was out so I also cracked the window. Got to the store and the boy and I went in for maybe 5 minutes. Forgot to grab my phone from the tray in the car and didn't bother to lock the door. Why would I? Nothing worth stealing in the car anyway. :rolleyes: (I know, I know tell me how naive I am later. I should know better) I noticed my fuel card was on the floor board when I got back in the car and thought that was strange but it didn't occur to me that my phone was gone until I got home. Thief must have grabbed the phone and did a quick check of the little storage spot under the radio for money or CDs. (Good luck bub I don't have either.) Well the joke is on them because I called Verizon and had them list it as stolen, so some poor sucker on ebay or craigs list is going to buy something they can't even hook up.

It doesn't stop there! In the last year.

1) Somebody decided to do a hit and run on my wife's car. $2300 damage.
    2) Somebody stole meat out of my neighbors freezer and broke into his tool trailer. (actually this may have been within the last 18 months or so)
    3) I caught some kids (late teens) on bikes looking in vehicles on my street for stuff to steal.
    4) Somebody stole my ladder out of my back yard.
    5) My buddy had a pistol stolen out of his truck.

Yep all of this within a 2 mile radius of my front door.

I hate feeling like I need to lock my doors. I am a nice guy and want to trust other people and be a part of the world around me not locked away from it. But these darn thieves seem to be everywhere. Makes me glad I am not a LEO. If this was all I saw every day it would be very hard for me not to lose faith in my fellow man.

Rant Off. Thanks for listening. Oh and the jokes on that thief because that old BlackBerry has been dropped a lot and was in need of replacement anyway. I was just to lazy to throw out a working phone because I hate switching all the information over.

backfire

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 6, 2011
    :xmad: Seriously people! Here is my rant for the day.

Had to run to the store to get some nails for a cub scout project. BlackBerry was in my jacket pocket and got in the way of buckling the seat belt. So I placed in the the tray between to seats. Sun was out so I also cracked the window. Got to the store and the boy and I went in for maybe 5 minutes. Forgot to grab my phone from the tray in the car and didn't bother to lock the door. Why would I? Nothing worth stealing in the car anyway. :rolleyes: (I know, I know tell me how naive I am later. I should know better) I noticed my fuel card was on the floor board when I got back in the car and thought that was strange but it didn't occur to me that my phone was gone until I got home. Thief must have grabbed the phone and did a quick check of the little storage spot under the radio for money or CDs. (Good luck bub I don't have either.) Well the joke is on them because I called Verizon and had them list it as stolen, so some poor sucker on ebay or craigs list is going to buy something they can't even hook up.

It doesn't stop there! In the last year.

1) Somebody decided to do a hit and run on my wife's car. $2300 damage.
    2) Somebody stole meat out of my neighbors freezer and broke into his tool trailer. (actually this may have been within the last 18 months or so)
    3) I caught some kids (late teens) on bikes looking in vehicles on my street for stuff to steal.
    4) Somebody stole my ladder out of my back yard.
    5) My buddy had a pistol stolen out of his truck.

Yep all of this within a 2 mile radius of my front door.

I hate feeling like I need to lock my doors. I am a nice guy and want to trust other people and be a part of the world around me not locked away from it. But these darn thieves seem to be everywhere. Makes me glad I am not a LEO. If this was all I saw every day it would be very hard for me not to lose faith in my fellow man.

Rant Off. Thanks for listening. Oh and the jokes on that thief because that old BlackBerry has been dropped a lot and was in need of replacement anyway. I was just to lazy to throw out a working phone because I hate switching all the information over.
    I feel your pain and sorry for the loss. It sucks!

Just this Fall, I too have had my snowblower stolen from right in front of my garage while I was HOME! Damn thieves and if it's this bad now for everyday stuff, imagine how bad it's going to get when the zombies want food or something else you have and are willing to take your life for it!!!

I've said it before and I'll say it again; The vail of social order is only paper-thin...

85t5mcss

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Zionsville-NW Indy
    Sucks that someone stole your phone (and the other crap going on), but sounds like you are staying upbeat about it (within reason). Dunno how old you are, but I can tell you we have very similar ethics. Hope it all works out for you.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Just a run of bad luck and bad economy. Over labor day I left a $1000 camera setup at Disneyworld laying on a table and someone turned it in to the cafeteria employees who returned it to me. I lost my iPhone that was quickly turned in a month ago. Had another cellphone in the family turned in and they tracked us down 2 months ago.

Things will turn around for you. Hang in there!

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Just a run of bad luck and bad economy. Over labor day I left a $1000 camera setup at Disneyworld laying on a table and someone turned it in to the cafeteria employees who returned it to me. I lost my iPhone that was quickly turned in a month ago. Had another cellphone in the family turned in and they tracked us down 2 months ago.

Things will turn around for you. Hang in there!

Yep my wife has by accident left a cell phone in a rental car, left her person at the mall and other such things. Honest people turned these in or in the case of the phone mailed it back to us. I actually found a set of car keys in Cabo Mexico last year. It had a gas card on the key ring and was able trace the keys back to the owner who lived in Canada.

Times are changing. Like somebody said windows up and doors locked. Shame really.

Titanium Man

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2009
    Indy---USA
    It's going to get worse, and if Obama gets a second term, times will only get tougher. Buckle up.:( It is the sign of the times. What's yours is theirs. Haven't you ever been in WalMart, happily strolling with a loaded cart, just a chitchatting with your wife, and the glares you get from some people. Watch, and don't get me started on these worthless people dinging new cars, because theirs is a piece of crap. Everybody is jealous, and it's all about getting even.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Found a big wallet in the street out front of the house Friday. Didn't have time to do anything about it at that moment, but I secured it lest it fall into the possession of some ne'er-do-wells. I tracked down the address and took it over there when I had the opportunity.

The woman had left it on the roof of her car when she dropped her 2yo off at the daycare over in my neighborhood. She and her babysitter had run her route twice to see if they could find it.

Here's where it gets good. Her house is straight across the street from the elementary school from which I drive the bus, in fact, her other son would be assigned to my bus if he rode. I'd driven right past her house on the way out of the school. I recognized her from seeing her taking her son back and forth.

Six degrees of Kevin Bacon, I'm tellin ya, but some of us are still good guys. Yeah, lock your doors, but don't despair yet.

Cpt Caveman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   1
    Feb 5, 2009
    Brown County
    Yup, keep the doors locked. It helps keep unmotivated thieves a bit more honest. If you need to leave something valuable ( and non portable) in the car keep an old cardboard box in the back with the words "NEWSPAPERS RECYCLE)" written on the top where its easy to see. Leave your stuff in there.
    Its gonna get worse before it gets better I'm afraid.

ghostv1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2011
    indianapolis
    i found an envelope last year with $750 in it along with a check stub tracked th guy down and he couldnt believe i returned it , made us both happy

MAJB Retired

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    We used to leave the keys in the car and the tractors in the field. But, times change! However, I had my cell phone returned when I dropped it at the credit union about two years ago, Just this week, I dropped the phone in the theater, and as we we leaving, a guy tapped me on the shoulder and and asked if it was mine. Plus, one of the members on a gun forum set me the stuff I bought from them before I paid.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I don't even know if there was any cash in it. I didn't inspect it; I didn't care; it wasn't mine. I just opened it far enough to find out where it belonged. There were all kinds of cards, and a checkbook. I could've ruined her life for months. I didn't get there before she'd canceled her debit card, but I understand that. I just think about where I'd be with my wallet in the street instead of hers. Why is it so hard for people to consider things from the other side?

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    That is frustrating.
    Even more so is that there is nothing you can do about it and thieves know it. At least you can take comfort in the fact whomever ends up with it will not be able to use it. My wife has lost her phone and her purse (different occasions) at the store before and both times, good samaritans returned them....thankfully there's still a few honest people out there still. Maybe there is hope.

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    The wife and I have both had incidents of things being taken out of our cars. One of the times was right in my driveway but unlocked (rare) while we were home. We have become real disciplined about shut and locked doors all the way around even when we are home.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    colorado
    My friend who lives down in Denver drives an old beat up toyota truck,he doesn't lock it because it gets broken into so often,he doesn't want them to break a window or break a lock.
    He says he will get in and their will be napkins an his registration out on the floor with the glove box open at least 3 times a year.

Top Bottom