Not open for further replies.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    BTW, Costco has a box of Mountain House food in stock (Michigan Rd location). About 17 packets for $50. Sorry I can't be more specific in remembering the content/quantity etc.

It looked like at least a "reasonably" good deal. We normally don't buy prepackaged food; I rotate things we use. But I've always wanted a bit of this on hand and we may eventually use it on a backpacking trip.

Car Ramrod

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Westfield
    Decided to camp in the backyard last night. No real reason why, just wanted to.

1389150_519309741537802_291137633_n.jpg

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Decided to camp in the backyard last night. No real reason why, just wanted to.

Looks good.

We need to make a "when was the last time you actually did something outside" thread. Take some of these prepping threads from "what did you buy" to "what did you do".

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    30 pull ups, bench press 140lbs * 60 reps, ab crunches/wheel/roman chair, curled 90lbs about 50 times...oh, you mean outside...back to cutting wood. ;)

DurangoUSMC

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2014
    Indianapolis
    Did a few things...
    a lot of maintenance and inspections, have a lot to catch up on in this area for the home and vehicles.
    Went to an offroad park and found out my little ATV is a lot more capable tha a I give it glcredit for.
    Fixed the lawn tractor, doesnt sound like much of a prep but it seems to help keep the insect population down around the house when I mow more often.
    Found a colony of termites in the backyard that need to be destroyed asap
    lots and lots of inventory. Excel is becoming my new best friend.
    Still working on the generators and tracking down more parts. Pulling the fuel tanks to clean out all the dirt is a bigger task than previously envisioned.
    Four new fuel pumps and a voltage regulator will be here Thursday new starter came in last week. Trying to track down the mounting hardware now.
    Started working out a lot more, new job opportunity is going to be very physically intense.

minny1990

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2014
    Indianapolis
    So, how do you preserve eggs?

All you've got to do is warm up the mineral oil slightly (it spreads easier) and slather it all over your eggs. Put your eggs back in the carton, with the narrow tip facing downwards, and then store them in a cool, dry, place. As an added measure for taste and texture, flip over the eggs every 30 days. It takes very little mineral oil to do this.

Another option:
    Store the eggs in a finely ground preservative such as salt, bran, or an equal mix of finely ground charcoal and dry bran or finely ground oats. You can store the eggs layer upon layer, so long as you they don't touch each other, metal, or wood. Be sure you have enough finely ground preservative to pack them in.

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    Did a few things...
    a lot of maintenance and inspections, have a lot to catch up on in this area for the home and vehicles.
    Went to an offroad park and found out my little ATV is a lot more capable tha a I give it glcredit for.
    Fixed the lawn tractor, doesnt sound like much of a prep but it seems to help keep the insect population down around the house when I mow more often.
    Found a colony of termites in the backyard that need to be destroyed asap
    lots and lots of inventory. Excel is becoming my new best friend.
    Still working on the generators and tracking down more parts. Pulling the fuel tanks to clean out all the dirt is a bigger task than previously envisioned.
    Four new fuel pumps and a voltage regulator will be here Thursday new starter came in last week. Trying to track down the mounting hardware now.
    Started working out a lot more, new job opportunity is going to be very physically intense.
    Termites are hard to kill. If you remove the food source they may move to less advantageous digs. The best method I know of is the basic and switch method. You install baited traps till they start infiltrating them, then you remove the bait and replace it with a poison substitute, which they take back to the nest to feed the queen. This will kill the nest of damage it severely. Pouring poison on the nest rarely wipes it out. Good luck.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    All you've got to do is warm up the mineral oil slightly (it spreads easier) and slather it all over your eggs. Put your eggs back in the carton, with the narrow tip facing downwards, and then store them in a cool, dry, place. As an added measure for taste and texture, flip over the eggs every 30 days. It takes very little mineral oil to do this.

Another option:
    Store the eggs in a finely ground preservative such as salt, bran, or an equal mix of finely ground charcoal and dry bran or finely ground oats. You can store the eggs layer upon layer, so long as you they don't touch each other, metal, or wood. Be sure you have enough finely ground preservative to pack them in.

Time frame for the mineral oil deal. How long will they keep.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Bought:
    *Mountain House foods.
    *Masks
    *Gloves
    *Propper slingshot ammo

Health:
    *Haven't had a cigar or any form of tobacco in 4 weeks now. Feeling better and stronger already.
    *I bought 7 more fruit trees at Lowes for half off so I'll get them in the ground this weekend and prune in the spring.

Skills:
    *I don't know why I haven't mentioned it before now, but I had an old friend reach out to me about attending the Basic Survival Class with the Pathfinder School so I'll be taking a 3 day class in Nov. and hopefully filling in whatever potholes of information I'm missing at a basic level. I've had to buy some gear for the class that I didn't have, some of it's a little different than the normal stuff, but it'll be good to broaden my horizons and try new things. I'll make some kind of a review about it when I get back.

Cozy439

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    Milan Center
    Been busy doing a few different things over last 10 days:
    -Dug up all potaoes - our best crop ever.
    -Pulled all beets, wife canned most of them, its like dessert to her
    -1st turnips pulled last Wed. more to come
    -Picked another near gallon of peppers, have been rotating them in barn attic to dry got a month now, A great year for these too
    -Dropped 2 ASH trees that Emerald ash borers killed last year. Still need to cut/split/stack
    -Picked up 1/2 a beef from the butcher that we got from a rancher friend
    -Stocked up at Sams Club, mostly coffee, gatorade, water & paper products this trip
    -Found 2 500+ packs of .22 ammo at Cabelas

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Been putting in wood.
    Winterizing the house. Found a few air leaks last winter. -18* will show you where they are with little effort.
    More water.
    Ordered 2 cases of MRE's in the ingo group buy.
    More freeze dried soups.
    Cases of canned goods. soup/veggies.
    Rotated dated fuel. Filled the tanks on the rigs and caught the $2.97 a gallon bonanza.
    Cleaned/lubed all the hand guns.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom